Homebrew Unlaunch DSi | First public bootcode exploit for DSi

bobrocks95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple quick noob questions as I try to catch up on all the news, sorry in advance...

So if I'm understanding right the order of exploits needed right now for HiyaCFW is (assuming a 1.4.5 console):
ugopwn -> downgrade -> sudokuhax -> unlaunch install -> HiyaCFW install

Is that right? And so non-US systems are still waiting on EUR and JPN versions of ugopwn to start the chain?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A couple quick noob questions as I try to catch up on all the news, sorry in advance...

So if I'm understanding right the order of exploits needed right now for HiyaCFW is (assuming a 1.4.5 console):
ugopwn -> downgrade -> sudokuhax -> unlaunch install -> HiyaCFW install

Is that right? And so non-US systems are still waiting on EUR and JPN versions of ugopwn to start the chain?

Ugopw -> unlaunch install - Hiya
@Apache Thunder just confirmed that unlaunch installer works under ugopw but under hbmenu iirc

bobrocks95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugopw -> unlaunch install - Hiya
@Apache Thunder just confirmed that unlaunch installer works under ugopw but under hbmenu iirc

Ah, okay, I had read Apache Thunder say before that "minitwlpayload" exploits like ugopwn couldn't load unlaunch. But you're saying that if you use ugopwn to launch the hbmenu, you can then install unlaunch from there?

Back to waiting on ugopwn it sounds like, lol.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, okay, I had read Apache Thunder say before that "minitwlpayload" exploits like ugopwn couldn't load unlaunch. But you're saying that if you use ugopwn to launch the hbmenu, you can then install unlaunch from there?

Back to waiting on ugopwn it sounds like, lol.
ugopwn has been done for the usa for quite some time now.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder and @nocash123 a few people over on the nds(i) homebrew discord discovered the problem that caused the unlaunch installer to hang on "Loading FAT". It seems that when twlnf mounts and modifies a nand backup, it only saves changes to the filesystem to the first copy of the FAT, leaving the second copy and possibly the third unchanged. Because of this, any nand that has been modified by twlnf will hang when the unlaunch.dsi installer is used on it

Ht1499

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder and @nocash123 a few people over on the nds(i) homebrew discord discovered the problem that caused the unlaunch installer to hang on "Loading FAT". It seems that when twlnf mounts and modifies a nand backup, it only saves changes to the filesystem to the first copy of the FAT, leaving the second copy and possibly the third unchanged. Because of this, any nand that has been modified by twlnf will hang when the unlaunch.dsi installer is used on it
So our only option is to wait for the respective device(s) to fix this issue, or is there any alternative solution?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So our only option is to wait for the respective device(s) to fix this issue, or is there any alternative solution?

Opening your nand on osfmount or TempNand will fix the issue, and maybe also updating your console. You could also just wait for a fix to cone out for twlnf, since the bug won't really do much besides stopping the Unlaunch installer

Reactions: Ht1499

Ht1499

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opening your nand on osfmount or TempNand will fix the issue, and maybe also updating your console. You could also just wait for a fix to cone out for twlnf, since the bug won't really do much besides stopping the Unlaunch installer
Thanks. I backed up nand using fwtool, installed the latest ulaunch to the backed up nand using Tempnand, and it works fine. My only issue is that when I boot up, the ulaunch bootscreen appears briefly and the system boots normally (as intended); but when a memory card is installed, it keeps getting stuck on ulaunch splash screen until I remove the SD card and press the home button a few times, is this normal?

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I backed up nand using fwtool, installed the latest ulaunch to the backed up nand using Tempnand, and it works fine. My only issue is that when I boot up, the ulaunch bootscreen appears briefly and the system boots normally (as intended); but when a memory card is installed, it keeps getting stuck on ulaunch splash screen until I remove the SD card and press the home button a few times, is this normal?

That's probably a problem with your sd, since unlaunch works fine without it. Unlaunch will automatically boot any homebrew file on your SD with the name bootcode.dsi, so if you have a file with that name that isn't a homebrew .nds file, you'll probably fail to boot. If that's not the problem, then your SD might be poorly formatted or just not be read correctly by the system due to contact issues or something like that

Try booting up the DSi and then inserting the SD and booting your homebrew entrypoint to see if it works from there

Ht1499

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's probably a problem with your sd, since unlaunch works fine without it. Unlaunch will automatically boot any homebrew file on your SD with the name bootcode.dsi, so if you have a file with that name that isn't a homebrew .nds file, you'll probably fail to boot. If that's not the problem, then your SD might be poorly formatted or just not be read correctly by the system due to contact issues or something like that

Try booting up the DSi and then inserting the SD and booting your homebrew entrypoint to see if it works from there
Thanks again for the reply. I've tried 3 different SD cards (2 of them freshly formatted and empty, and all of them readable by the DSI) and no dice. No issues when Inserting them after boot, and my Homebrew entry (flipnote 122 taps method) works perfectly fine. So it's not a hardware issue, nor a bootstrap.nds issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks again for the reply. I've tried 3 different SD cards (2 of them freshly formatted and empty, and all of them readable by the DSI) and no dice. No issues when Inserting them after boot, and my Homebrew entry (flipnote 122 taps method) works perfectly fine; but if any was present on boot, the system hangs on the ulaunch splash screen. So it's not a hardware issue, nor a bootstrap.nds issue.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for the reply. I've tried 3 different SD cards (2 of them freshly formatted and empty, and all of them readable by the DSI) and no dice. No issues when Inserting them after boot, and my Homebrew entry (flipnote 122 taps method) works perfectly fine. So it's not a hardware issue, nor a bootstrap.nds issue.
Ok, try this

First, save your nand for no$GBA and placeit in your No$GBA folder. There should be a zip in that same folder that's called dsi-1.SD or something like that. Open it up, place the file inside the zip in the no$gba folder, mount the file inside with osfmount, and add a Homebrew file there and name it bootcode.dsi (then unmount and close osfmount). Boot up the nand in No$GBA and test if the Homebrew boots up in that setup

Reactions: laharl22 and Ht1499

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!