We should get a Critical Thinking forum!

Quantum

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've spotted on some other forums that they have a specific section in the Forum Index called "Critical Thinking," which is used for stuff such as debates, theories, politics, essays, etc. I think that this forum would benefit quite a bit if we added one, since there are many people here that, well, critically think. Also, I think that the General Off-Topic section is just... too general. It covers so many things, so I think a critical thinking portion could make the General Off-Topic forum less congested. What do you guys think about this idea?

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i would like to have a section like that here , but i dont think that learning how to type and spell is really necesary , because it would desavantage people who english is not their first language like me , im still learning it and im only 14... and im french , wicht is a hard language to learn , but i would like to take part of thoses topics , i think i can give my opignon as well and i dont think im a wannabe l33t guy , or the Aol kiddies type , or a idiot who flame everybody...

Try2bcool

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think this is a good idea and this sentence is a lie.
Man, that's deep...had to ponder on that one a moment to discover it's true meaning...
cool.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmmm @ Try2bcool, I actually see your point of view quite well. However, you assume that by bringing those topics into discussion, the world will fall down around our ears, and people won't be able to control themselves from rabid insults and flame attacks. I like to at least give people *some* credit, and identify that though it's risky business, things don't always go awry. Take for example Broken_by_Design, she has brought up animal testing in this thread, and no one freaked out - and as far as I can tell, the forum is still here and moderated, not running into anarchy.
smile.gif

Just food for thought - some people need a place to speak about topics that are on their mind, even if they aren't GBA-related. That's the whole reason an off-topic forum exists in the first place. Couldn't hurt to add some serious discussion in there too everyone once in a while, you know?

@DarkRamza .. people that demand perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation on the 'net only do so because it's the only qualitative measurement of a person you can have really, other than their signature/avatar, and the things that they say. Most of us on the forum have never met, and probably never will meet, and therefore don't know each other. Someone with bad spelling/grammar/punctuation is just seen to not offer a whole lot to a conversation - if they can't be bothered to type properly, why should anyone try and decipher what they have to say, right?

In your case, it's different - just say that you're not a native English speaker, and people will forgive you. The fact that you've even learned another language at all puts you in a great position. Many of the whiners about perfect typing wouldn't be able to learn a second language if it walked right up and slapped them clean across the face!

So in other words, you've got nothing to worry about.
smile.gif

Try2bcool

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Take for example Broken_by_Design, she has brought up animal testing in this thread, and no one freaked out - and as far as I can tell, the forum is still here and moderated, not running into anarchy.

@qrayzie: Nobody really had anything to say about it, it's not really part of this topic, just an example subject.

I just can't see that a critical thinking section would add anything to the appeal of this forum...I for one don't come here looking for debate on subjects that can't be won. There are enough places to debate 'higher' topics in the world without doing it here also. Real-world, controversial subjects can be discussed and debated, but never resolved...people stand strongly on one side or the other, or undecided in the middle. The only people that you could hope to win over are the middle people...and to what gain?

And I never said that people couldn't have intelligent, thoughtful conversations here, I think that patrons of this board are very responsible and well spoken in general, as evidenced in this thought-provoking topic.

Can someone (or everyone) list what kind of topics you would consider talking about in a critical thinking forum? I listed a few in my previous post, but maybe I was way off the mark on the kind of things that you want to discuss.
cool.gif

Ruth

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This thread seems to be turining into some what of a critical debate of it's own...
I think taken that none of the higher up's have given any kind of response to this thread it'd be fair to say that for now any kind of discussions that you want to take place should stay in off-topic.
I will say that you should feel free to make topics on whatever subjects you choose. If people wish to participate they can and will. Some people come here only for GBA related things, others (like me) come because they like the people here and like to share other interests with them.
If a debate gets out of hand there is almost always a moderator on hand who will deal with the situation. So if someone is going to be a persistent flamer in these kinds of threads they'll be warned.

So in conclusion, I look forward to some intelligent conversation with you all in the near future.
biggrin.gif

Vince989

Still lurking around, sometimes...
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm obviously not the one whose opinion will be the most important, since I'm not as much implied anymore in this forum as many of the other mods are, but I think it could be a good idea, given a strict moderation system. If the discussions stay intelligent, it could be really interest to discuss in it; However, as soon as flaming would get in the way, it would instantly kill topics.

So, if it is moderated well, it could be good. However, moderation isn't the only important thing; It's, first and foremost, the members who post content, so they'll have to write especially good posts, maybe even better than they do elsewhere. Writing quality, not in the form (language) but rather in content, is going to be quite critical to it. DarkRamza and those that don't speak english as a native language won't need to worry about it : I too have french as a native language and english as a second one, yet I can get my messages across, and even though you don't have a perfect english, it would show that you tried your best to write well. And don't forget, training something a lot is the best way to perfection!
happy.gif

- Vince989

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...