What are your views on gay marriage?

Do you think gay marriage should be legal?

• Yes, gay marriage should be legal.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, gay marriage should not be legal.

• I don't really care either way.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
heres a start for you:

Hilton JM, Devall EL. Comparison of parenting and children's behavior in single-mother, single-father, and intact families. J Divorce & Remarriage. 1998;29 :23 –54

and when youre done with that one try:

Popenoe D. Life Without Father. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1996:144, 146

if you want me to read it to you too damn bad, Im not hear to read you bed time stories, If you want that then ask your nanny.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

in regards to me not using any other book, the books used are standard in the field of child development and use complete scientific studies to determine what is best for the physical and psycological well being of developing children.

claiming ignorance to the field is not a way to determine correctness, if you do not believe me then take a moment to visit your county library, learn a thing or two and enlighten yourself. So many people tend to believe that if people do not agree on an issue then there mustn't be a definitive answer at hand. 2 thousand years ago men argued with similar passion as to whether or not the world was flat or round, by today's standards the men who proposed the world being flat woud be considered just in thier opinion and that they are entitled to thier beliefs...

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blahman said:
How about change the laws and remove the term "marriage" from it. Replace it with a specific legal term for such a union of individuals. In doing so it can provide homosexuals the same rights as everyone else and let the religious people keep their holy matrimony.
People would never go for that. It would be seen as a terrible act of disrespect by both sides, and rightly so. Besides, as you can see from Lord Kanti's posts, keeping gays from having the same rights as heterosexual couples is very important to those that oppose gay marriage. (OMG they might be able to adopt! Won't someone please think of the children!)

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uhh that is not evidence. I could easily go online and copy and paste the name of a child development book myself. That doesn't make it true.

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Two men can love a child with all thier heart but neither could ever provide what a mother could. It's been proven time and time again that there is a link between a child and his or her biological parents (when biological parents are not available an adoptive mother and father are the next best thing to when blood relatives are not available to adopt). there are psycological bonds and gender issues that go beyond general affections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
copying and pasting doesnt make it true? OK then, your ignorance at hand doesnt make it untrue. If you want the facts you will have to investigate for yourself, if you think life is about people force feeding you knowledge and taking you by the hand every step of the way then I'm sorry to inform you that in life you will have to take care of yourself and learn to form knowledgable opinions based on facts and research, not ignorance to the subject at hand. This subject has been scientifically settled, I do not need to re-prove these studies, you simply need to avert from laziness and read the studies yourself. I went out of my way to provide a repuatable source, perhaps you'd like me to plug a usb cable into your brainstem and click "transmit"

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gay marriage is actually one of the least harmful moral questions, despite the big fuss obsessive religious zealots make of it. In reality, anyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it does not infringe on the choices and freedoms of others. That's the key difference between gay marriage and something like murder or some polygamist cults that brainwash their women. Murder is killing someone against their will whereas gay marriage is the mutual agreement between two people to become bonded. No one's freedom or rights are being broken here.

Gay marriage is something that would be sickening to me if it were brought upon me. But not because I'm sickened by the people who do it OR by their act of doing it. I'm just strictly strait and it's something that doesn't fit me at all. But I support whatever makes men and women happy as long as it doesn't come into conflict with the rights and freedoms of others.

And just so you know, I am a self-proclaimed Christian. I don't let this religion blind me though.

For anyone against gay marriage: None of your rights or freedoms are being disrupted. The polygamist cults however, have been known to brainwash their women which is a clear violation of human rights. The same goes for murder and any other act where a person is being a victim of something against their will.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
Two men can love a child with all thier heart but neither could ever provide what a mother could. It's been proven time and time again that there is a link between a child and his or her biological parents (when biological parents are not available an adoptive mother and father are the next best thing to when blood relatives are not available to adopt). there are psycological bonds and gender issues that go beyond general affections.
Ummm if that is true then how come I have known quite a few kids who get along better and like their adoptive parents way more than other kids I have seen liked and got along better than with their biological parents.
Edit:Also about those "studies" you have read upon like quite a few of us have stated before those are usually biased against gays to show supposed "proof" to keep gay marriage from happening.

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In reality, anyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it does not infringe on the choices and freedoms of others.

so a baby has a choice if a gay couple is allowed to adopt it? children do not get the same say so as adults do.

I never mentioned polygamist cults, In fact polygamy is legal in some countries, no cults involved.

If gay marriage can be legal why not polygamy?

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
scientific and psycological journals are based on science and fact, not bias. extensive work goes into creating a research journal, and if the scientific community senses bias or untrue claims (experiments where the same results cannot reproduce the same results as claimed on paper) then they do not get published or aknowledged as fact.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
As long as everyone involved agrees to it, polygamy should be legal.

If all the people in the relation ship agree it really shouldnt matter.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
scientific and psycological journals are based on science and fact, not bias. extensive work goes into creating a research journal, and if the scientific community senses bias or untrue claims (experiments where the same results cannot reproduce the same results as claimed on paper) then they do not get published or aknowledged as fact.
Not really. I have read dozens of scientific, religious, psychological journals with bias. I tend to read them on a daily basis actually.

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Lord Kanti said:
Not really. I have read dozens of scientific, religious, psychological journals with bias. I tend to read them on a daily basis actually.

Then submit your rebuttal and prove these biased scientific arguments wrong. Surely if you can subjecta valid claim with scientific evidence your findings will take the place of the previous false biased ones.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Banger said:
Destructobot said:

If all the people in the relation ship agree it really shouldnt matter.
I'm saying they should have the same legal rights as a monogamous couple (e.g. adopting each other's children to gain legal parenthood), just like gay couples should.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My opinion is that it's perfectly okay for the people, but when children come in...
No, that child will be bullied at school forever, that kid won't have a happy life....

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
They can't reproduce the same results because:
1. Parent's are good/bad parent's based on their actions not who they marry.
2. No matter what kind of marriage it is some parents have issues others don't.
3. Same as above except with kids.
4. The other environments the kids live in are always different(neighborhood/friends/school)
5. Speaking of Psychology a lot of people don't even regard it as a science and it is about as reliable as the medicine prescribed by psychiatrists(not very)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
In reality, anyone should be able to do whatever they want as long as it does not infringe on the choices and freedoms of others.

so a baby has a choice if a gay couple is allowed to adopt it? children do not get the same say so as adults do.

I never mentioned polygamist cults, In fact polygamy is legal in some countries, no cults involved.

If gay marriage can be legal why not polygamy?
Your "rights for babies to choose" statement can be used for anyone who adopts a baby (gay or not). In fact, it can even be used in a true marriage between a man and a women and the baby is really theirs. If I had a choice, I'd have a different biological father. As it is, he fucked my mother, left her, and pretty much hates my guts. He only pays child support because he has to by law. And he has been known to call and cuss out my mom and telling her he wouldn't support a bastard child like me. I wish I had a real father who actually loved me and stuck around to care for me. But I don't have a choice there. My mother is the one who made the choice to care for me. If the parents are as loving and caring as can be, it doesn't matter what their little lifestyle choices are. I certainly wouldn't complain about whoever raised me as long as they did it right.

As for polygamy, many times the women ARE brainwashed into doing the husband's bidding. I don't really see why I have to answer this as it has NOTHING to do with gay marriage. Unlike gay marriage which is total consent between two people, there are some true and actually fair controversy surrounding it. As it is, this sums it up:

QUOTE said:

Destructobot put it totally fairly. The problem lies in those involved who DON'T agree to it, but are brainwashed into pretending.

My opinion is that it's perfectly okay for the people, but when children come in...
No, that child will be bullied at school forever, that kid won't have a happy life....

A seemingly fair statement, but being bullied for that is society's fault and not the child's or the parents'. I can use the same reason for interracial families (and I went to school with an interracial girl) and a long time ago, black people. Society needs to change, not the people. That's how we are getting over racism (slowly).

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
dinofan01 said:
Lord Kanti said:

Then submit your rebuttal and prove these biased scientific arguments wrong. Surely if you can subjecta valid claim with scientific evidence your findings will take the place of the previous false biased ones.
I can say the same to you. You've yet to give valid of gay marriage being bad for a child or bad for society. And no I'm not going to prove some scientific arguments wrong because, well, first off why? I know I'm not going to sway you from your homophobic ways, so whats the point?

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Lord Kanti said:

You should be able to work this one out for yourself quite easily.

You know from your experience that the human mind does not act the same way in every situation. Nor is it the same for every individual. Psychology can't use the usual scientific method of a repetitive experiment that returns the same results consistently. Psychology is not a real science like physics or chemistry. It's a weak observational method, only called science by name - like social science.

Anyone can have a journal published. Just because someone has "Dr." before their name, or have done extensive research doesn't make their analysis foolproof.

If you can show me proof that a child will be worse off with a loving gay parent than it would be with an abusive mother, or no parent at all (remember it has to be 100% of the time, in all observations. We're doing science here.) then I'll believe you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j