What is the game you invested the most money in?

tempy_thinker.png

As anybody that even vaguely follows games will know then most computer games cost money. How much money they cost can vary quite dramatically, even from person to person. For the industry is a very important topic as you will want to get the most money for your product, and different people have different "pain points" and understanding those will potentially see you make a lot more money than you otherwise might have.
This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss things to do with game design, aspects of play and other industry concepts. Today is Noctosphere's guest entry in the series.

Counting things like expansions, dlc, virtual currency, monthly payments, etc then what is the game you invested the most in?

Personally, I invested a lot in The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.
In total I invested over 400$ in the sims 4 over the years
I calculated, it's about 10$/month, which I think isn't that bad.

Previously we discussed times where people said gameplay styles would not work for a platform

Also under discussion are times you might have purchased a console for a single game, a large collection or peripherals or upgraded your PC again just for that one game. You might also want to compare it to games other than computer games, the obvious first start for many being collectible card games such as Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh and the Pokemon card game. Similarly have you waited for something to go on sale, hit the second hand market, get released as a gold/game of the year edition or something along those lines? Tiered pricing in games is also sort of on the way out, do you have any thoughts there?

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
I barely invest much in a game, since I don't play much games, I can just get the DLC for free, or I simply just don't want the DLC. However LBP2-3 is probably the games I've invested into. (You can use LBP2 dlc with LBP3 since each sequel is more of a x.0 update rather than a new game) I've probably spent around 40 dollars into it. My friend on LBP2 bought me a $20 card and for my birthday I got a $20 card. Though I didn't spend every penny so that's why I said I spent around $40.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably spent the most money on World of Warcraft... Between buying the expansions and the monthly subscription fee. I legit could not tell you how much I spent.

I know I had WoW day 1 (maybe a day or two early) and then I never lost my sub until what ever the expansion was that came out after Wrath of the Lich King.

Other than that, probably I built or bought some PC parts due to specific games I wanted to play that my PC wasn't up to the task anymore. My current PC is a product of that behavior lol Core 2 Duo and Radeon 4870 just couldn't handle the latest DirectX games so I built a whole new machine :) but that's not for one game specifically.

Yeah WoW is my top money game ever in my life, and honestly I am not sure I would do it again... Just not worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: BORTZ

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after reading the thread about gaming addiction and reading this one there's definitely some denial going on here but I can only judge myself.

I've put the most cash (1) into Civilization 1-5 for pc before giving up gaming on pc.( & getting it on x box 360 & ds & & )and (2nd) greatest $$= Fire Emblem, ( before it got popular) I bought it on everything it ever came out on, all languages, plus many fan remakes sold on cartridges, as well as own all the guides, posters tee shirts and so forth from back in the days. I did skip F.E. Tokyo & "Warriors" as they weren't true F.E. Games IMO.

One last thing, someone mentioned all they had spent on skylanders... That is exactly why I didn't invest in Amiboos. The price point is too high for what they will become.
Fin.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well after reading the thread about gaming addiction and reading this one there's definitely some denial going on here but I can only judge myself.

I've put the most cash (1) into Civilization 1-5 for pc before giving up gaming on pc.( & getting it on x box 360 & ds & & )and (2nd) greatest $$= Fire Emblem, ( before it got popular) I bought it on everything it ever came out on, all languages, plus many fan remakes sold on cartridges, as well as own all the guides, posters tee shirts and so forth from back in the days. I did skip F.E. Tokyo & "Warriors" as they weren't true F.E. Games IMO.

One last thing, someone mentioned all they had spent on skylanders... That is exactly why I didn't invest in Amiboos. The price point is too high for what they will become.
Fin.
well, actually, I have a couple of Amiibo
But I don't only consider them as "dlc" (cause thats what their features are)
I also consider them as Collectibles :)
Maybe a great collection will have much higher value in couple of decades, you know :)

dogmarch

Potato Warrior - Anti Zombie
Trophies
XP
Country
black desert. I bought it but only played for like a few weeks or so. still have to play my money's worth.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably Warframe. I bought the packs when they were on offer, so I didn't pay full price, but it was the most money I've spent on any Video Game.

Paccc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Skylanders were surprisingly effective, even buying figures second hand at $1 each adds up eventually.

I do tend to stay away from pay to win or buying any skins but have gradually adjusted to paying at least $10 every
month in online subscriptions and digital sales which still makes any game above $20 out of the question.

Then I happily buy a new phone for pokemon go for $150 and a guitar for rocksmith 'because it's real stuff'.

D

Deleted User

I'm not sure if anyone remembers those storm 8 mobile games from back in 2009.They where pretty addicting back in the day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: