Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
When did the last (latest
tongue.gif
) official commercial GBC game come out?
The roms come out every month.

The last game was released in June 2002.

-KangaRod-

Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
lets not forget that almost 3 million GBA's have been sold world wide over the last six months.
With absolutely no advertising, and on a 5 year old platform that at this point is probably costing Nintendo next to no money to make.
Also of intrest is that more GBA's were sold last week than PS3's in the US, and even though that is the first time in a few weeks that that has happened they are still selling between 10K and 20K of them a week.
Without question, Nintendo is making a ton more money from the GBA line than sony is making from the PS3 line, and you guys consider the GBA line dead?
What is the PS3 line then?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
why its death makes u guys happy? why u want its death? arent u Nintendo fans? are u happy that they dont produce NES anymore? i'm not.
i'm planning to get a GameCube and i know by buying a Wii i'll be able to play GC games, but i'm a Nintendo fan.

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sales aren't dead, but the gba as a game playform really is. The DS has usurped it, and the gba does need to die, there's no point in it living any longer at all.

tell me again why the platform is dead?
its a great platform - timeless even. the hardware is good enough for great 2D games, and old school games.
until the DS shows that its consistantly a better platform - with a bigger library of better games, the GBA platform
will not die. the only reason it's dying gamewise is because of $
ppl want the biggest/fastest/newest stuff but it doesnt mean its better by any means.

how has the DS usurped it?
I'm sorry but the quality of DS games as a whole, just doesnt even compare. yeah theres a few good ones, but it still doesnt hold a candle to the GBA library.

and why does it "need to die"?
if people like the platform so much - why do you want to see it die? what do you have to gain by seeing the platform go down. i just don't understand your motivation.

and why is their "no point in it living any longer at all"?
honestly - theres people bigger and better than you around - so are you telling me you have no point in livint any longer at all?
honestly wheres your argument. A real objective argument. all i hear is fanbois screaming "GBA SHOULD DIE!!! ITS A DEAD PLATFORM!!! DS OWNZORZ ALL!!!

gbasp2.gif
i'll just keep on playing my gba. good luck carrying that brick around in your pocket.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sales aren't dead, but the gba as a game playform really is. The DS has usurped it, and the gba does need to die, there's no point in it living any longer at all.

tell me again why the platform is dead?
its a great platform - timeless even. the hardware is good enough for great 2D games, and old school games.
until the DS shows that its consistantly a better platform - with a bigger library of better games, the GBA platform
will not die. the only reason it's dying gamewise is because of $
ppl want the biggest/fastest/newest stuff but it doesnt mean its better by any means.

how has the DS usurped it?
I'm sorry but the quality of DS games as a whole, just doesnt even compare. yeah theres a few good ones, but it still doesnt hold a candle to the GBA library.

and why does it "need to die"?
if people like the platform so much - why do you want to see it die? what do you have to gain by seeing the platform go down. i just don't understand your motivation.

and why is their "no point in it living any longer at all"?
honestly - theres people bigger and better than you around - so are you telling me you have no point in livint any longer at all?
honestly wheres your argument. A real objective argument. all i hear is fanbois screaming "GBA SHOULD DIE!!! ITS A DEAD PLATFORM!!! DS OWNZORZ ALL!!!

gbasp2.gif
i'll just keep on playing my gba. good luck carrying that brick around in your pocket.
In terms of new games coming, the GBA is almost dead. In terms of how good the platform really is: the GBA rocks! It's on of the best platforms ever created! It will never die!

For me, the NES isn't dead. But there aren't any new games for it (well, one, but... that doesn't count
tongue.gif
) so it's officially dead.

-KangaRod-

Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
The DS is a much better system on the whole. Make no mistake. The potential that the touch screen brings for games like electroplankton, brain training, EBA opens up a whole new type of person to the idea of what a video game system can do.
When it comes to do gaming in the classical sense (button mashing - nothing wrong with that) the GBA has the DS trumped in every regard for the simple fact that is, well simpler.
Granded the DS can do everything the GBA can do and more, The GBA does what it does more efficiently - and for the kind of people who read sites like this; that is perfect.
There will be another GBA - it will be as small as the micro, or maybe a little larger. It will have a very large screen compared to the size of the whole console; and will look like it will feel awkward in your hands. It of course will not, and will fit perfectly. I'll have a D-pad (no analog) 2 shoulder buttons, start, select, and x,y,a,b. It'll use the same gpu and cpu as the ds, but will not be reverse compatable - of course it will have built in wifi and a front end, not unlike the ds currently. The big difference people will be shocked to see is that it wont have cartridges, and you wont be able to buy cartridges for it in retail shops. Everything will be by download, and it'll have plethora of classic games (and some new ones - but mostly rely on the appeal of old games). There will however be a slot for an SD card, which much to the dismay of gamers everywhere will function exactly like the Wii's SD card, in that you can't actually run games off it. You will however be able to run MP3's off the SD card.
Since not very much shelf space will be needed for it - you'll start to see it pop up in places where you never expected to see a game system.
Places like convience stores, cell phone trollys in the centre of the mall, maybe even beside the chocolate bars as you check out at target.
This will supprt the DS even further as it'll get people to pick up video game systems on a whim, and as you paruse the online shop they can swiftly remind you that Wii Health Pack is now available on the Wii, as is Brain Training 2 on the DS Lite. I suspect a movement away from games that we enjoy on the most part (kirby's zelda's mario's etc) on the DS and have them on this new GB, as a touch screen or a second screen is not really needed for those types of games.
This thing will be cheap, less than $100, maybe even less than $80. It'll be announced next month at E3 (I think this is the big console announcement) and Reggie will also say they are hoping to have it ready for Christmas - which it will be - but the launch will feel rushed - and it will take a while to gain momentum - not unlike the DS did 3 years ago.

xenon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
When it comes to do gaming in the classical sense (button mashing - nothing wrong with that) the GBA has the DS trumped in every regard for the simple fact that is, well simpler.
Granded the DS can do everything the GBA can do and more, The GBA does what it does more efficiently - and for the kind of people who read sites like this; that is perfect.
May I ask why and how? Retail price apart, I see no added complexity in the DS when playing old school games (or proper GBA games). Game cartridge, power on, fingers on pad and buttons, play.

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I ask why and how? Retail price apart, I see no added complexity in the DS when playing old school games (or proper GBA games). Game cartridge, power on, fingers on pad and buttons, play.

well aside from the fact that its much larger, has more buttons, and 2 screens. it basically has bunch of stuff thats not needed to play simple games. maybe he should have said more effectively - as opposed to efficiently, but now we're arguing semantics.

the point is - why do i need 2 screens, a stylus, more buttons, more cartridge slots, etc etc - just to play mario, or advance wars, or final fantasy. i would rather have it be smaller than my cellphone so i can take it everywhere i go, and never be bored.

-KangaRod-

Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
and if it doesn't have all that other crap like 2 screens and junk it'd only cost half of the one with 2 screens. Would make it much more accessable to younger kids that may not necessarly be able to afford a DS, then they can buy a $5 or $10 card pack and download 2 or 3 games.
Not only is it stricktly profit for Nintendo - but it stops piracy dead in its tracks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Go fly a kite...