Hacking Where Can I Buy a Sky3DS or Gateway for a Cheap Price?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 63,992
  • Replies 68

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and just for reference as to what I was talking about with the ds2: IIRC I paid about $22 for one brand new and intended to buy a 2nd as a backup, but... $85?! NFW. Is till have a ds1(linux doesn't work) and a wonkey evo(original batch that had problems can kinda be made to work mostly by wedging it in) and a good evo. Come to think of it I might have a 2nd ds1 kicking around as well... man I wish that I had bought 2 ds2s when I ordered the first one... oh well...

[EDIT]
The Evo was ~$55 IIRC(when it first came out) and I think that the ds1(1st one) was in the $40s... The ds1 was the best 2nd choice at the time as evo ruled until they pulled a runner and ds2 came out.
[/EDIT]

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I might have to go buy a prepaid visa card, or ask someone else to buy it for me, and I pay them back.

That may be a good option. I don't know why you cannot complete the order like normal. Try creating another account or another card? What selection are you choosing during checkout for payment?

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That may be a good option. I don't know why you cannot complete the order like normal. Try creating another account or another card? What selection are you choosing during checkout for payment?
...or you call your bank or go into a branch and talk to one of the non-tellers.

Just to add over the years, I've purchased from:
Japan
Poland
Austria
Germany
China
Singapore

and never had any problems.

Now that I think of it, are you sure that you didn't pick a bank wire transfer of some kind? and NOT a credit card? As some wire transfers MIGHT require you to call the bank, although it's been a REALLY LONG time since I've done anything by wire transfer(too slow). Wire transfer IIRC call sometimes also applies w/in the US IIRC, and depending upon your accts etc. might involve a fee(avoid like the plague).

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...or you call your bank or go into a branch and talk to one of the non-tellers.

Just to add over the years, I've purchased from:
Japan
Poland
Austria
Germany
China
Singapore

and never had any problems.

Now that I think of it, are you sure that you didn't pick a bank wire transfer of some kind? and NOT a credit card? As some wire transfers MIGHT require you to call the bank, although it's been a REALLY LONG time since I've done anything by wire transfer(too slow). Wire transfer IIRC call sometimes also applies w/in the US IIRC, and depending upon your accts etc. might involve a fee(avoid like the plague).

I'm using my bank issued Visa card. I'm with Garden State Federal Credit Union, which is rather small.

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I can't even get a visa prepaid card either because their things aren't allowed to be used for international purchases

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I can't even get a visa prepaid card either because their things aren't allowed to be used for international purchases

Wow, you just can't get a break. That is annoying how much unnecessary effort you have to put in to make a simple order. It looks like you may have to get a friend to order it for you with another bank/card.

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, you just can't get a break. That is annoying how much unnecessary effort you have to put in to make a simple order. It looks like you may have to get a friend to order it for you with another bank/card.

I probably will, but it won't be easy, since most of them have Mastercard, based on what I remember.

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll look around to see if anyone else has had the same issues with ModChipsDirect. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Thank you! But like I said, it's probably just because my bank is small. If they'd allow the transaction for 24-48 hrs instead of the 8 that they do, I probably wouldn't even be talking about any of this.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! But like I said, it's probably just because my bank is small. If they'd allow the transaction for 24-48 hrs instead of the 8 that they do, I probably wouldn't even be talking about any of this.

It is indeed. Most bank cards (debit) don't allow intl transactions on debit cards for security; most credit cards do but charge a 2-3% fee. Some credit cards allow it and have no fees, I used one of them on my last order from ModChipsDirect and it went through fine.

Since I gave away my gateway, I'm going to be ordering a new one within the next few days. I may be able to help you with ordering from them; PM me if interested.

Reactions: atkfromabove

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is indeed. Most bank cards (debit) don't allow intl transactions on debit cards for security; most credit cards do but charge a 2-3% fee. Some credit cards allow it and have no fees, I used one of them on my last order from ModChipsDirect and it went through fine.

Since I gave away my gateway, I'm going to be ordering a new one within the next few days. I may be able to help you with ordering from them; PM me if interested.

PM'd!

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. My cards are/were from National City and now PNC.

The Sky3DS showed up in the mail today, and UPS dropped off my new 3DSXL(black). Waiting for it to warm up and then start charging it up.

Just a quick question if you guys are still looking at this thread to mebbe save myself a little research time, are the 3DS system updates forced or optional? I'm hoping that mine is 9.0 or 9.2U and with black I should stand a good chance of that and want to stay on whichever it is. Cubic Ninja should be here on Friday, so I'll also be ninjhacking it.

Did the vWii hacking yesterday, but I can't find my spare external USB hdd enclosure and the one that I ordered from Amazon won't be here until Friday.

Gateway3DS is has made the GIGANTICALLY LONG trek from Rochester to Buffalo...

Good luck on figuring out something. Might be worth it to open a second account at a larger bank just for international purchases, keeping the bare minimum in the account(to avoid fees and presuming debit cover expenditures) as I've used both "real" credit cards and debit/visa cards from National City/PNC and they both work...

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. My cards are/were from National City and now PNC.

The Sky3DS showed up in the mail today, and UPS dropped off my new 3DSXL(black). Waiting for it to warm up and then start charging it up.

Just a quick question if you guys are still looking at this thread to mebbe save myself a little research time, are the 3DS system updates forced or optional? I'm hoping that mine is 9.0 or 9.2U and with black I should stand a good chance of that and want to stay on whichever it is. Cubic Ninja should be here on Friday, so I'll also be ninjhacking it.

Did the vWii hacking yesterday, but I can't find my spare external USB hdd enclosure and the one that I ordered from Amazon won't be here until Friday.

Gateway3DS is has made the GIGANTICALLY LONG trek from Rochester to Buffalo...

Good luck on figuring out something. Might be worth it to open a second account at a larger bank just for international purchases, keeping the bare minimum in the account(to avoid fees and presuming debit cover expenditures) as I've used both "real" credit cards and debit/visa cards from National City/PNC and they both work...

My black one came at 9.2, the updates aren't forced.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My black one came at 9.2, the updates aren't forced.
Thanks. Even lets you skip wifi setup which I couldn't do on the wii u although I figured out how to cancel the firmware update even though it only gave me OK as an option...

9.0.0-020U baby! Golden! (QW1004)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay