Why do people choose iPods

So, why did you choose an iPod over the other players?

• Superior sound quality

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It looks nice

• Easy to use

• It has features I like

• I like Apple products

• It was a good price

• Capacity (not related to price)

• Don't own one

• Total voters

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you havn't got one, please just click 'Show Results' because I forgot to add an option...
If any mod sees this please could you add one if you can? Thanks!

Before I begin,
Please do NOT just say 'Because it just works'. If you bought it because it 'just works' you might as well have bought a cheap $10 thing. Why did you choose the iPod over the cheap one?

This is for my design technology class, please leave constructive feedback giving reasons.

Thanks for helping
- Sam

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so none of the options matches with the reason why I chose it.

Thing is, I was going to get a mp3 player so I might as well spend more money than just a cheap one. Why doing this? I don't really feel much love for money. No, not that I get it just like that, or that I'm rich, I just "feel" or "know" money's for being spent and feel no remorse of using it. Anyway, reasons for choosing a more expensive one?
Design (both aesthetically and practically), capacity and good support.
I would've chosen the Zen 60GB hadn't I found this second hand one, pretty much cheaper on a second hand shop up there in UK.

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Here where I live, most of my friends and other people around me probably is buying Ipod's just because it has become some sort of status symbol.

In my opinion they are worthless because of their... OS or whatever you call it
smile.gif

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, Apple products look nicer than everything else, they are also easier to work and the lack of buttons is always a plus.
Oh, and the sound quality is perfect, I don't know where every gets the idea that the iPods have bad sound quality. Maybe the old ones but not anymore.

And I don't get it because its popular, most people I know don't have an iPod, I have one because there has yet to be an MP3 player IMO that compares to it.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, Apple products look nicer than everything else, they are also easier to work and the lack of buttons is always a plus.
That's interesting, please could you give a short reason? (Sorry for all the questions, but most people I know won't give a sensible answer and I need this for my GCSE course)

Thanks for all your answers so far!
- Sam

kylertesch

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kk you don't have it in your poll but the real reason everyone has ipods is just simply cause all celebs have em and all the popular kids at school have them therefore pressuring the general public to get them to be "Cool" and to fit in.. its a sad but honest truth >.< ..

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know this doesn't really fulfill your question but here goes...

The ipod name is HUGE. Remember when people called ALL video games/systems 'Nintendo'? I think a lot of people get them as gifts, or they aren't even aware of other brands. I know it will sound dense to a lot of you on this board, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I asked my friends why they get an iPod they said something like "Well what other brands are there?" or "Well my parents got me this on *holiday*".

Hope that helps.

My first player was an iPod Mini, which I got before I knew you could get better ones online. Then I got a Creative Vision M after I learned that it didn't need some crappy software to run it (And that I could use it as a hard drive to hold WoW to play in school), and now I just buy whatever happens to be most bang-for-buck, which happened to be Meizu, and before it was Meizu it was some unbranded chinese player (which I still use to this day, for taking to school)

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's interesting, please could you give a short reason? (Sorry for all the questions, but most people I know won't give a sensible answer and I need this for my GCSE course)

Thanks for all your answers so far!
- Sam

Well, the clickwheel is possibly the best way to merge all the buttons into one place and with the iPod, its the fastest amount of time I ever figured out how to use something. The way in which the iPods are shaped makes them feel organic, and you grow more attached to them. I did Apple design for my Standard Grade course in Art and I got a 1 which is an A or whatever in England, the highest possible mark. PM me if you need a hand
biggrin.gif

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, the clickwheel is possibly the best way to merge all the buttons into one place and with the iPod, its the fastest amount of time I ever figured out how to use something. The way in which the iPods are shaped makes them feel organic, and you grow more attached to them. I did Apple design for my Standard Grade course in Art and I got a 1 which is an A or whatever in England, the highest possible mark. PM me if you need a hand
biggrin.gif
Ah, I understand now! So it's like the DS's touch screen: You don't really need to know what all the buttons do, it just feels natural to prod things and see what happens, in the same way the clickwheel is a sort of 'universal' control that is really easy to use.

- Sam

xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
because they are just really really good all around ya know sound quality, capacity(just sold my old 80gb to get a new 160gb), video, design and customation for thoose who knows how (IPW and IPL) but those huge ipods may be a lil big some times so i also have a shuffle which i use as a necklace so i always have it with my no matter where i go

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to ozzyzak: my vote is for the same reason people buy hoovers/dysons, biros and a jar of Heinz.

I have seen/used (but never personally owned) ipods from the clunky firewire days to the "modern" incarnations and originally they may have been the best (which in my opinion was the difference between a punch in the face and a kick in the crotch: the hard drive concept versus the ridiculous excuse that was flash memory back then) but now I am not sure.

As for "clickwheel" I hate them, possibly the least intuitive interface I have used.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I personally don't have an iPod, but if I'd buy one it would be because of:
- Easy song finding;
In cheap mp3 players you have to click next next next, untill you find the number you want, if you don't want it random, or in the normal order or anything.
The iPod sorts things so you can find the songs in albums and stuff, and with the clicking wheel scrolling goes very fast.

- Accu;
Used to have a mp3 player that ran on a AAA battery, and that had like 1 hour playing time. An iPod seems to go along much longer.

- Design;
It's flat to fit it good in your pocket and I like the colors, also the simplistic look is a good thing imo.

- UI things;
Like box art's viewing and the way album,singer,songname are displayed when playing the music. (not put on one line having to wait to read it all)

I don't have experience with other nicer real mp3 players, so most are advantages many other players may also have, but the click wheel for quick finding songs and changing volume is certainly very nice. Which also leads me to think that there may be a lot of iPod-buyers who just don't know which other mp3 players are good and easy to use like iPods, while iPod's are known by everyone as quality mp3 players.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I brought my second gen nano because:

- Very small
- Good interface/easy to use
- Excellent battery life
- Great build quality
- Lots of accessories (and not just accessories but accessories specifically designed for the product i.e. cases, speakers etc... I can buy an FM transmitter that fits flush, matches the style perfectly and utilise the data port (for on screen display). If I had bought a different MP3 player I would have had to buy a generic FM transmitter that wouldn't have looked as nice and may not have been as functional)
- I think I'm right in saying it won't depreciate in price as quickly as other MP3 players. By that I mean that when I come to upgrade/sell it in the future, it will still be worth something and won't have dropped in value as much as other MP3 players will have. For example a second hand 1GB 1st gen nano still fetches around £40-45 on ebay. How many 1GB MP3 players can you say go for that much still? You can pick up a generic chinese one for £5-10! Look at Apple computers and how they retain their value.

smile.gif

j5c077

some old guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a 30gig video

mines a piece of shit

i constantly have to restart the damn thing because it locks up

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the hard drive concept versus the ridiculous excuse that was flash memory back then
Hehe, I remember my first MP3 player - It had 8MB of internal memory and I had a 32MB SD card: 40MB in total! I could fit around 9-10 songs on there max! I usually ended up re-encoding them at a lower bit rate just to fit more on. Still, it beat burning to CDs!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: On a bad day you hear I missed my period +2