Homebrew Why do people want homebrew?

Klavice Gavin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure this guy is trolling especially when most GOOD Windows tablets (the ones that will run emulators and stuff) will run you around $150 USD and if that wasn't enough aren't heat/fall resistant at all meaning if you take it out on a hot day even with a carrying case, it will wreck your tablet or god forbid you drop it, tablet's screen gets cracked and you have to go see a repairman who will probably fix it for twice its value, or buy a new one (another $150). There's also the lack of support for non-bluetooth controllers or decent joysticks. If you have that much money to burn why not buy two PS4s and have an expert make a portable PS4 (I've seen portable PS2s so that's not out of the realm of possibility) for you. But not everyone is a multi billionaire who can afford their own island in French Polynesia or the Philippines. For people who can't wait for Nintendo to "eventually" and I'm using the term eventually very loosely because Nintendo even explained recently they have zero plans to make a viritual console and that all games would be included in their online for NES and others in re release bundles by companies. Now, be honest, how many times are you willing to pay for Nintendo's AAA classic games like Pokemon, Zelda, Marry-o (that is how us Canadians that aren't me say it), etcetera. And what about games that no longer belong to Nintendo like Conker or Banjo? Wouldn't it be awesome to have them on the go?

Reactions: MatMaf

MatMaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty sure this guy is trolling especially when most GOOD Windows tablets (the ones that will run emulators and stuff) will run you around $150 USD and if that wasn't enough aren't heat/fall resistant at all meaning if you take it out on a hot day even with a carrying case, it will wreck your tablet or god forbid you drop it, tablet's screen gets cracked and you have to go see a repairman who will probably fix it for twice its value, or buy a new one (another $150). There's also the lack of support for non-bluetooth controllers or decent joysticks. If you have that much money to burn why not buy two PS4s and have an expert make a portable PS4 (I've seen portable PS2s so that's not out of the realm of possibility) for you. But not everyone is a multi billionaire who can afford their own island in French Polynesia or the Philippines. For people who can't wait for Nintendo to "eventually" and I'm using the term eventually very loosely because Nintendo even explained recently they have zero plans to make a viritual console and that all games would be included in their online for NES and others in re release bundles by companies. Now, be honest, how many times are you willing to pay for Nintendo's AAA classic games like Pokemon, Zelda, Marry-o (that is how us Canadians that aren't me say it), etcetera. And what about games that no longer belong to Nintendo like Conker or Banjo? Wouldn't it be awesome to have them on the go?

If this isn't a troll then I feel so, so bad for this guy who is allegedly older than 17. No one should be making useless arguments in a place like this at that age for attention.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't A hacked 3DS or PSP do the same?
If you are talking about emulators on the go, then allow me to mention just SOME of the devices that can do that:
  • PSP
  • 3DS
  • DSI
  • Every Android with NON Physical buttons
  • Xperia Play
  • Nvidia Shield Project
  • dingoo A 320 and 380
  • Every Revision of the JXD devices, aka JXD 7800, 7300,7100, 5800 among many others of them.
  • The Retro Mini
  • Every Gamepark Device such as Gp2x Wiz, Gpx etc etc.
  • GCWZero
  • POP-KIII
Among MANY MANY Chinese Handheld that provides a decent SOC to run OpenDingux and Gmenu2X

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about emulators on the go, then allow me to mention just SOME of the devices that can do that:
  • PSP
  • 3DS
  • DSI
  • Every Android with NON Physical buttons
  • Xperia Play
  • Nvidia Shield Project
  • dingoo A 320 and 380
  • Every Revision of the JXD devices, aka JXD 7800, 7300,7100, 5800 among many others of them.
  • The Retro Mini
  • Every Gamepark Device such as Gp2x Wiz, Gpx etc etc.
  • GCWZero
  • POP-KIII
Among MANY MANY Chinese Handheld that provides a decent SOC to run OpenDingux and Gmenu2X

So why do we want a Switch to do this then?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take in consideration that Switch can run UBUNTU, aka Linux, so basiclaly we just need some Hardware Accelerator and some good drivers.
Also, Dolphin, Plus a full Open Source Operating System. plus switch games? and ports? and basically N64 on the go? O:

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Take in consideration that Switch can run UBUNTU, aka Linux, so basiclaly we just need some Hardware Accelerator and some good drivers.
Also, Dolphin, Plus a full Open Source Operating System. plus switch games? and ports? and basically N64 on the go? O:
TIL Ubuntu supports ARM.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

PC is the most powerful way to emulate. 3DS/PSP have the portability angle. The Switch is essentially the best of both worlds, being able to seamlessly emulate both on the go and on a TV, makes it a contender for the single best way to play retro games. You also don't have the issue of transferring save states between devices etc.

The Switch has other advantages too, like multiple controller support unlike the PSP/3DS

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I want more info about my switch and I think it's a perfect emulation platform for on-the-go gaming. You can coop anywhere in a small package.

Reactions: Ty_

Nudu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've been a gamer for the past 17 years (No I'm not 17 but you don't start gaming at 0) and when I was a kid I had a Nintendo DS. I discovered the hacking scene back in 2007 when palmOS was the shit and Symbians were the best. But also very expensive and had shitty memory card storage, like MMC and CF (not too bad, but very expensive).

My Nintendo DS only played games from developers who were lucky enough to be told "yes" by Nintendo and brave enough to print their game into cartridges. When I got a flashcard for it my mind was blown: my DS is now a media player? I can play homebrew games?? HOLY SHIT I CAN DRAW ON THIS??? I CAN READ BOOKS???

Keep in mind that yes, you could buy a cartridge with an SD slot to play music, that's it. You could also buy an average Internet browser called the Nintendo DS Browser (which had Opera inside) and each of those were for ~40 euros, and the first one was very difficult to find. There were also cartidges with a bunch of books, but they were always public domain and surprisingly only a few of them. With a flashcard you had a browser for free (but it kinda sucked), an awesome MEDIA player (Moonshell), a powerful paint program (Colors!), even an MSN app or email software. And let's not forget about games! There were a lot of them, many sucked ass but hey, it was free. Plus you tried. DS flashcards (around that time) had a micro SD slot. There was also the legit concern of many gamers who wanted all games on the go, or wanted to play emulated games. That was so awesome!

Now, in 2017, we have a shitty tablet with a shitty screen and a fairly shitty processor. My phone can do everything I've always wanted it to be, people can develop games for the console at a fairly cheap price (cheaper than the DS for sure), you can store games in the micro SD and there is probably going to be a virtual console.

My question is: why do people want homebrew so badly on this thing? You can argue about the teraflops as much as you like, but if you take the core out it's just a shitty tablet. A $50 windows tablet could do much more for a much lower price. What do you want to see in the Switch so badly? I'm honestly curious. I was feeling the same way with the 3DS until someone made a program to overclock the 3D (which IMO it's the greatest homebrew there is).

Or maybe people who say they want homebrew just want to pirate?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Wait... you are here since 2013 and level 6 and now you get banned? This is so sad man:mellow:

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly why I assumed it wasn't a thing they'd bother with. Ubuntu seems a bit bloated for ARM. Its practically too bloated for x86 at this point. /s
Always thought most (mainline) Linux distros had ARM counterparts to coincide with them.
Then again, I've gotten too adjusted to Arch to see that far into the others, but fairly sure it's not abnormal. The OpenPandora/Pyra projects certainly helped.

KiteD19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to overclock my switch and see if I can smoothly play games like botw without stutter in portable mode. It would also be cool to backup my data on my pc.

RoxasCross

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Home-brew because of translation patches for the jap psp games that didnt make it to the west but mainly because Supersmash mods

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it