Homebrew Why do people want homebrew?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's supposed to, but this is Nintendo that we're talking about. The content will likely be monitored in some way. At the least, it's not going to export to MP4 or something clean like that.

On the topic, though...
It's a console.
With HDMI.
Capture cards abound.
I have a capture card (and I've already used it to stream fast rmx and puyo puyo Tetris), but with my current room setup it would be easier if I could play in handheld at my desk while recording/streaming.

DragonRooby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can play old emulated games on the go with buttons.
I don't want to sit at my computer, it's not portable.
I don't want to use a phone, there are no physical buttons.
I don't want to carry around another device with me (other than Switch,

But, wait? What's this? A portable console with physical buttons that has new games and emulated old games both in one place? Yes, please.

I could just get some other device with buttons to emulate games, but then I'm carrying something else with me. It's easier if I have all the games in one place.

No physical buttons, no portable = no play.
Same.

D

Deleted User

Because the switch would be an amazing portable mame box. It could play ancient games like atari 2600 all the way up to Gamecube, which would be absolutely wicked cool. Skies of Arcadia on the go!

Reactions: DarthDub

Tonydaexpert

C++ Pleb, but with a Monado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is #1 save editing cool things like the bow of light in BOTW or messiing around in Xenoblade 2, or save backups is #2 #3 just trying out random things when I am bored lmao

Reactions: Ty_

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The switch's HDMI signal goes over USB-C to the dock. No reason we can't receive that signal on a PC with a type C to type A cable.

There are a lot of reasons.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1389387&start=80

and if you fancy using a third party dock

http://www.newsweek.com/nintendo-switch-bricking-nyko-dock-lawsuit-907637

It seems that the switch is not very compliant https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...e_switch_is_not_usbc_compliant_and_overdraws/

Last edited by smf,

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me:

Emulators
More options for controllers
More control over the system
Using official emulation if available as the recent Parappa the Rapper PS4 discovery
ROM Hacks
A homebrew that allows you to record more than 30 seconds
Now that we have more powerful systems we can do stuff like NTR streaming like it is for New 3DS, so no need for those pesky $200 capture cards anymore.

Last edited by thekarter104,

Cubuss

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
aFBg5cI.jpg

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. Pretty darn good quality. My iPhone X is a premium device. Not an Apple fanboy btw, but working for Verizon for the last 4 years, I’ve seen which phones fail the most.
I feel like the iPhone X is more of an exception than a rule, at least with what Apple has become today. Plus it's $200-$300 overpriced for what it is, depending on who you ask and how you part it out

Reactions: Giodude

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Lol, this is really good necroposting.
That said, i want homebrew because homebrew, for some reason, just having it feels good to me, its a feel of freedom, to me what the Homebrew offer is secondary, i want the homebrew for the homebrew itself

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like the iPhone X is more of an exception than a rule, at least with what Apple has become today. Plus it's $200-$300 overpriced for what it is, depending on who you ask and how you part it out
All I know is I've seen phones with more features at half the cost that have a notch that can be toggled per app.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SSAZU-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a gamer for the past 17 years (No I'm not 17 but you don't start gaming at 0) and when I was a kid I had a Nintendo DS. I discovered the hacking scene back in 2007 when palmOS was the shit and Symbians were the best. But also very expensive and had shitty memory card storage, like MMC and CF (not too bad, but very expensive).

My Nintendo DS only played games from developers who were lucky enough to be told "yes" by Nintendo and brave enough to print their game into cartridges. When I got a flashcard for it my mind was blown: my DS is now a media player? I can play homebrew games?? HOLY SHIT I CAN DRAW ON THIS??? I CAN READ BOOKS???

Keep in mind that yes, you could buy a cartridge with an SD slot to play music, that's it. You could also buy an average Internet browser called the Nintendo DS Browser (which had Opera inside) and each of those were for ~40 euros, and the first one was very difficult to find. There were also cartidges with a bunch of books, but they were always public domain and surprisingly only a few of them. With a flashcard you had a browser for free (but it kinda sucked), an awesome MEDIA player (Moonshell), a powerful paint program (Colors!), even an MSN app or email software. And let's not forget about games! There were a lot of them, many sucked ass but hey, it was free. Plus you tried. DS flashcards (around that time) had a micro SD slot. There was also the legit concern of many gamers who wanted all games on the go, or wanted to play emulated games. That was so awesome!

Now, in 2017, we have a shitty tablet with a shitty screen and a fairly shitty processor. My phone can do everything I've always wanted it to be, people can develop games for the console at a fairly cheap price (cheaper than the DS for sure), you can store games in the micro SD and there is probably going to be a virtual console.

My question is: why do people want homebrew so badly on this thing? You can argue about the teraflops as much as you like, but if you take the core out it's just a shitty tablet. A $50 windows tablet could do much more for a much lower price. What do you want to see in the Switch so badly? I'm honestly curious. I was feeling the same way with the 3DS until someone made a program to overclock the 3D (which IMO it's the greatest homebrew there is).

Or maybe people who say they want homebrew just want to pirate?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
The reason why I homebrew my devices is because I love the excitement you have when hacking them, never knowing if it will live through or not. Then once I have homebrew, then if if I see something cool from the homebrew scene, I can already use it.

B.B.Link

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can say honestly, the majority of the people don't want homebrew just to test out the systems capabilities or to make cool little applications. They just mostly want it for piracy/cheating and there is usually nothing put there to really prevent it. Even if they do have something, it's always just going to be bypassed. And it's sad, cause Nintendo gets it bad.

I completely agree. All it does is fuck up online games, enabling cheaters to ruin them like they did MarioKart 3DS and MK Wii. I almost never played against cheaters on PS3/4 online games. I almost always end up with cheaters/hackers on Nintendo's systems. If i'm paying for Nintendo's online services, they better damn sure fight these online hackers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1