• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Why ppl in the West are so racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's a lot of bad apples and they've recently gotten somewhat braver showing themselves in public since people don't really stomp them down anymore.

That said, there's examples of this around the globe, among all races and creeds. But the west is slightly more actively showing its racism online where many will notice it :/

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's a lot of bad apples and they've recently gotten somewhat braver showing themselves in public since people don't really stomp them down anymore.
I would like to add that it's not so much that people don't, but that they are "not allowed to." I say "not allowed to" because it seems that anyone who does anything in retaliation is seen as "just as bad." We seem to be running the same logic as schools have towards bullies. Sure that bully beats on you, insults you, and you've reported them, but you hit back once, thus are equally as bad them. The same would most likely apply in this case had that girl stood up for herself when she was being attacked. This has honestly become worse in recent years because it seems people want to give shitty people a platform instead of shaming them for being shit people.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some curious opinions here. I was almost wondering how the original video was racist but then we got the epithet at the end, and whatever that shit about white privilege was (it is a silly notion that some subscribe to, and from my understanding of no real relevance in that situation). Not sure it was racially motivated at this point as opposed to garden variety crazy (though the preparation phase speaks to something) but I will give it the benefit of the doubt if you want. One crazy does not a pattern make. Indeed I would say the west is probably the least racist place on earth, with the possible exception of scientific bases somewhere cold -- most people don't give a flying fuck what you are and will go with the content of your character, as it should be, and have pretty much been taught that and lived that since birth (or possibly the birth of their parents).

I would like to add that it's not so much that people don't, but that they are "not allowed to." I say "not allowed to" because it seems that anyone who does anything in retaliation is seen as "just as bad." We seem to be running the same logic as schools have towards bullies. Sure that bully beats on you, insults you, and you've reported them, but you hit back once, thus are equally as bad them. The same would most likely apply in this case had that girl stood up for herself when she was being attacked. This has honestly become worse in recent years because it seems people want to give shitty people a platform instead of shaming them for being shit people.
Where would you possibly have got that impression? If this is about the punch a nazi thing again then if they start by all means punch back if they are still a threat (though I would encourage a modicum of situational awareness, awareness of your abilities, and note that it is called fight or flight for a reason). If you think they have some strange ideas about how the world works then by all means tell them that -- the very same thing that allows them to espouse their nonsense allows you to say it is just that. Trying to shut people down and drive them underground seldom works though -- as the great saying goes sunlight is a wonderful disinfectant and there are myriad examples of it working. The one that instigates the fight however is the arsehole, if you want to do the "be the bigger man" thing and not rise even then (something that schools seem to go in for these days) then so much the better.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Some curious opinions here. I was almost wondering how the original video was racist but then we got the epithet at the end, and whatever that shit about white privilege was (it is a silly notion that some subscribe to, and from my understanding of no real relevance in that situation). Not sure it was racially motivated at this point as opposed to garden variety crazy (though the preparation phase speaks to something) but I will give it the benefit of the doubt if you want. One crazy does not a pattern make. Indeed I would say the west is probably the least racist place on earth, with the possible exception of scientific bases somewhere cold -- most people don't give a flying fuck what you are and will go with the content of your character, as it should be, and have pretty much been taught that and lived that since birth (or possibly the birth of their parents).

Where would you possibly have got that impression? If this is about the punch a nazi thing again then if they start by all means punch back if they are still a threat (though I would encourage a modicum of situational awareness, awareness of your abilities, and note that it is called fight or flight for a reason). If you think they have some strange ideas about how the world works then by all means tell them that -- the very same thing that allows them to espouse their nonsense allows you to say it is just that. Trying to shut people down and drive them underground seldom works though -- as the great saying goes sunlight is a wonderful disinfectant and there are myriad examples of it working. The one that instigates the fight however is the arsehole, if you want to do the "be the bigger man" thing and not rise even then (something that schools seem to go in for these days) then so much the better.
I am not saying that they should be driven underground, history shows that just makes matters worse by creating an echo chamber. But I am saying that I've noticed a trend where it seems people tend to try to take this middle ground where there isn't a middle ground and it's become rather popular to do so. Although, these could just be very outspoken people and actually just be in the minority or in some cases actually just be awful people pretending to be in the middle (which I've seen in several recent cases with a couple White Nationalists on our site.) So maybe it's just me looking for a problem and finding one.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is by no means normal behavior here, I wouldn't be too worried about this.

The fact that this video got so big shows that it's not the norm. If this were happening every day it wouldn't be news.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Racism is natural and based on thousands of years of survival. The world self segregated itself and multicultural societies have never worked peacefully.
A lot of things that are "natural" aren't good

Rape, murder, lying, stealing

And I think it's more likely that the multicultural societies that did exist eventually melded into one culture over time with intermarriage etc. Like Angles and Saxons.

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of things that are "natural" aren't good

Rape, murder, lying, stealing

And I think it's more likely that the multicultural societies that did exist eventually melded into one culture over time with intermarriage etc. Like Angles and Saxons.
Who deems these things to be not good? There is no such thing as good or bad but societal norms at certain times in history.

What you have described is Europeans mixing with other Europeans and not different races.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who deems these things to be not good? There is no such thing as good or bad but societal norms at certain times in history.

What you have described is Europeans mixing with other Europeans and not different races.
You said multiculturalism doesn't work, and that's what I was responding to.

So you think all Europeans have the same culture?

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry??
It is correct. This whole idea of every race is equal and we should love one another is a very new concept in history.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You said multiculturalism doesn't work, and that's what I was responding to.

So you think all Europeans have the same culture?
Europeans don't all have the same culture but because of being very similar racially they intermingle very easily over time.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo