Hardware Wii to Wii U Transfer confirmed

beta4attack

Trophies
XP
Country
There's something I do not understand from all that, if the titles downloaded from the Wiishop is going to be transferred by linking the two accounts or something, how will the saves get transferred? It is not like the saves have anything to do with the Wiishop.
It's very likely that the Wii U will be compatible with the Wii save format, both for retail and downloadable titles.
Well, the Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii software.
Oh so in other words you can just move your saves to the SD card and put it in the Wii U and it should work? Even if the saves are from disk backups?

beta4attack

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh so in other words you can just move your saves to the SD card and put it in the Wii U and it should work? Even if the saves are from disk backups?

Yes, just like you can use saves from one Wii with another.
Ahhh I get it now. Sorry for my stupid question and I thank you for clearing it up for me and the same goes for chris888222. Thank you both.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Yes, just like you can use saves from one Wii with another.
Ahhh I get it now. Sorry for my stupid question and I thank you for clearing it up for me and the same goes for chris888222. Thank you both.
Did I help? lol

Either way welcome. The Wii U is fully BC with Wii software (digital/retail) and peripherals, just not Gamecube.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always install the wads, so I'm unsure as to the answer, but after you install a title, if you go to the Wii shop channel and click the same game won't it now recognize it as installed and therefore bought?

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I always install the wads, so I'm unsure as to the answer, but after you install a title, if you go to the Wii shop channel and click the same game won't it now recognize it as installed and therefore bought?

Your shop channel data will be in a big Nintendo database somewhere that says all the titles you've purchased during an actual transaction. Installing wads won't change that.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Virtual Console will also be transferable over to the Wii U, likely remaining at standard definition.
I know the games are old and made to be run at 50 or 60 hertz but I don't see why you couldn't keep the 1080p resolution. I hope the source is wrong about that.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(4.2+ only blocks exploits and runs a test that, if it passes, bricks your Wii).

Uhm, wat?
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Error_003

If you don't have the Korean Key or you use another IOS, the test doesn't pass and you don't get the 003 brick.

so what you mean to say is

4.2+ only blocks exploits and runs a test, that if passes, bricks your Wii on the off chance that it is a region changed korean wii, and you happen to actually click the update button.

sorry misunderstood

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
(4.2+ only blocks exploits and runs a test that, if it passes, bricks your Wii).

Uhm, wat?

If you don't have the Korean Key or you use another IOS, the test doesn't pass and you don't get the 003 brick.

so what you mean to say is

4.2+ only blocks exploits and runs a test, that if passes, bricks your Wii on the off chance that it is a region changed korean wii, and you happen to actually click the update button.
It also blocks region free modchips as well. However, it doesn't have to do with pressing the update button. It happens everytime you load the System Menu.

Because there are only risks involved with using 4.2+, and no benefits, I always discourage updating past 4.1.

Btw, in Asia, you'll find most Wii's are region changed with the cases swapped, even in stores.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't be stupid. don't transfer your wii contents to the wii U. Is it so hard to have your wii and Wii u connected to the same tv?
for all your homebrew use your wii. nintendo is only gonna allow licensing and saves to be copied to the wii u not actually channels.
once the transfer is complete it will probably erase it form the wii. so dont do it unless you have a NAND backup with boot mii. cuse then u can just restore it after its deleted.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't transfer to begin with. Unlike the time when I "owned" my friends DSi for a year and bought a ton of games for it, I will have access to my Wii when/if I get a WiiU. Heck, it doesn't even sound like there will be any difference between Wii game graphical quality on the WiiU, so it may not be worth getting a WiiU till the obligatory Zelda! For me anyway.

I love how my Wii has turned into an emulation box!

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't transfer to begin with. Unlike the time when I "owned" my friends DSi for a year and bought a ton of games for it, I will have access to my Wii when/if I get a WiiU. Heck, it doesn't even sound like there will be any difference between Wii game graphical quality on the WiiU, so it may not be worth getting a WiiU till the obligatory Zelda! For me anyway.

I love how my Wii has turned into an emulation box!

no the wii will support native 1080 resolution, have a better GPU, thus a better graphics engine. The graphics will be much better lol.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh? Proof? From what I read, the WiiU wont render Wii games in 1080p, but I may be mistaken. Though I do require proof.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh? Proof? From what I read, the WiiU wont render Wii games in 1080p, but I may be mistaken. Though I do require proof.

ohh im sorry I misread your post. Stupid wii and wii u names get easily confused. Yeah I read that original Wii games won't be upscaled at all, you're right.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh

Uhm, wat?

Yet WiiBrew recommends you update?
"WiiBrew recommends that you run the latest version of the HackMii Installer and then optionally update your Wii to 4.3 using Nintendo's official updater."

Or did that only affect region changed K Wiis?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Uhm, wat?

Yet WiiBrew recommends you update?
"WiiBrew recommends that you run the latest version of the HackMii Installer and then optionally update your Wii to 4.3 using Nintendo's official updater."

Or did that only affect region changed K Wiis?
Wiibrew is stupid when it comes to recommendations. It has plenty of facts, but it's biased because they think patches=piracy. In addition, the message used to say never to update but changed as soon as the HBC update was released. They seem to consider the HBC as the only thing that matters.

Reactions: 3 people

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And what is to stop Nintendo from actually fixing the Smash Stack method by doing what the 3DS currently does with updated 3DS games, and patch the game on-the-fly when the game binary is loaded? Even if it is a Wii game, the Wii U OS has to handle that section anyways.

Nintendo could very well make a multipurpose IOS in order to only maintain Wii backward compatibilty.
in other words a completely different structure, and by this it would mean protecting the system from being easily hackable.

In a way current cIOS is doing this, compatibility for almost ALL games through only ONE cIOS.
Technically making official ios absolete in a way.

But to be on topic, transferrral will probably be via sd card for saves.
transferral of bought games on the nintendo store, is account based, so there has'nt have to be a phisycal between wii and wiiu.

Personally, I think distribution of games will be digital in the future.
Or in this stage will be serial based.

Reactions: 1 person

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what is to stop Nintendo from actually fixing the Smash Stack method by doing what the 3DS currently does with updated 3DS games, and patch the game on-the-fly when the game binary is loaded? Even if it is a Wii game, the Wii U OS has to handle that section anyways.

3DS games "patches" are not saved to the game cards themselves but the SD card. Samurai warriors C and games like it are a slightly different case. They are ready simple having a code saved to the 3ds and auto-input for you, then erased after words. The items already in the games code. No one in their right mind would apply new data to a non-redownloadable/non-installable game directly. If something went wrong, the game card could be perma missed-up.

FYI, You can downloaded the update for mario kart 7 w/o owning the game. I don't own the game and was able to get the update still. Makes you wonder how the updates exactly work. Do games that support DLC look for an encrypted "over ride folder" made especially that game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU