Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

CoreMessageInspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The latest RealBoy has a speed up option, but more importantly, an icon! :D My home screen looks so much prettier now it's not just empty bubbles <3
chC5aLn.jpg
nice homescreen ! :D
the latest mGBA nightly seems to run better too
pokemon emerald and super mario bros 3 are running full speed (59-60fps) just little sound crackle sometimes

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nice homescreen ! :D
the latest mGBA nightly seems to run better too
pokemon emerald and super mario bros 3 are running full speed (59-60fps) just little sound crackle sometimes
I think I'm running the one from two days ago. I might just update it daily and hope improvements show :')

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
lol the package installer is stubbed, they probably hardcoded that somewhere, otherwise people would at least have found a list or something.
The thing itself should still work just fine, on all versions (works on IDU apparently).

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone,

Total noob when it comes to the ps vita. is there a simple guide for how to install this? Really appreciate it if anyone can help!

molecularshell

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so the WebSample thing gave me an excellent idea!
I remember making a backup of the Package Installer app when I was on 3.15 once.

I just made it into a vpk package just like the WebSample was made into one, and I installed it to my 3.60 Vita and tried it out:

View attachment 57916

View attachment 57917

View attachment 57918

View attachment 57919
(Apologies for big images! :sad:)

The really weird thing about it, is that it prompted for an update every time I tried to open it; just like the PSM Dev assistants did on 3.52! :unsure:
i have a big favor to ask of you. can you send me that package installer vpk file? can you message me on twitter at cfw_hype

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone,

Total noob when it comes to the ps vita. is there a simple guide for how to install this? Really appreciate it if anyone can help!

Just read the sections "Installation" and "Installing Homebrew" from these site: https://henkaku.xyz/usage/
It's really easy to use and ridiculous easy to install.

Last edited by VitaType,

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember making a backup of the Package Installer app when I was on 3.15 once.

I just made it into a vpk package just like the WebSample was made into one, and I installed it to my 3.60 Vita and tried it out:

View attachment 57916

View attachment 57917

View attachment 57918

View attachment 57919

The really weird thing about it, is that it prompted for an update every time I tried to open it; just like the PSM Dev assistants did on 3.52! :unsure:
How exactly did you make that .vpk? When I tried to do the same with an Unity game, I got "out of memory" error?
Perhaps the fact it is an game makes that error appear?

D

Deleted User

OP
How exactly did you make that .vpk? When I tried to do the same with an Unity game, I got "out of memory" error?
Perhaps the fact it is an game makes that error appear?
Did you pack the vpk with the eboot, sce_sys folder, and any other folders at the root of your vpk?

Also, you have connections to Unity for PS Vita?! :O

CoreMessageInspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

View attachment 57916

View attachment 57917

View attachment 57918

View attachment 57919

nice idea
hmm
i personally think we are close to an entry point we just need to find it because Swallowy sent an reminder and it is definitely a good sign of homebrew success and development
http://hackinformer.com/2016/08/02/psvita-sony-pushes-reminder-message-terms-service-light-henkaku/

there will be an update for sure in the next days

Last edited by CoreMessageInspector,

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did you pack the vpk with the eboot, sce_sys folder, and any other folders at the root of your vpk?

Also, you have connections to Unity for PS Vita?! :O
I do have Unity for PS Vita, yes.
I think some others have too.
And I did pack those at the root of an existing .vpk, as I only saw vpk pack tools for .velf files and not eboot files or something.

D

Deleted User

OP
I do have Unity for PS Vita, yes.
I think some others have too.
And I did pack those at the root of an existing .vpk, as I only saw vpk pack tools for .velf files and not eboot files or something.
If you don't mind, could I possibly see some screenshots of the directory structure? :)

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 57916

View attachment 57917

View attachment 57918

View attachment 57919

Package Installer still exists on 3.60, retail mode is just denied from launching it.
IDU (which is identical to retail as far as PUP files go, and the EBOOT and "sample_plugin" from the app are identical between the two) runs it just fine.

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got "Failed to install the package: 0x80010016" when I was installing some homebrew I created myself.
Any ideas what this is?

SOLVED IT ALREADY

Last edited by pikpol,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j