• Views 17,672
  • Replies 218

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of posts on this and varying opinions.

Myself I believe that media should be free and available to everyone so it can be enjoyed by all people regardless of their financial status or ability to buy it. Knowledge to the people is power and removing said knowledge via censorship and laws is weakening said knowledge towards the people...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Want my take on the situation? I don't care about games that companies no longer generate profit from and therefore as such, I download old school games anywhere from Snes to Gamecube. There I said it. ^_^ Also, if I own the game, I make backups of it so I don't have to buy a new copy.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Myself I believe that media should be free and available to everyone so it can be enjoyed by all people regardless of their financial status or ability to buy it. Knowledge to the people is power and removing said knowledge via censorship and laws is weakening said knowledge towards the people...

That opinion works for things like news reports and education but I'm not sure it applies to non-essential luxury goods like videogames and pop music etc.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That opinion works for things like news reports and education but I'm not sure it applies to non-essential luxury goods like videogames and pop music etc.
To me it personally does in the sense that it is part of our Nation's society whether we like it or not and likewise it has a need to be preserved (kinda like how the Smithsonian has things from pop culture)

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suspect the Smithsonian paid for those things (or had them donated or licensed from legitimate sources).
By that I was referring to the need for society to preserve all parts of its culture. But I can see your point but personally I feel all forms of media and culture should be shared as long as its reasonable and easy to do

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Aarrgghhh-gue the topic is a heated one for the Ages

But since the Dawn of the Interwebs all Information,including digital, is up for the taking which I believe is part of the deal

Preservation or Piracy ?

If I had a chance to play a Ultra Rare Obscure Limited Print of a Game and the only way of doing that is thru Piracy?

Well shiver me Timbers and Strap me to the Plank cause I'm a Coming :evil:

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Piracy has its uses. I'd say more but honestly this has become a weekly thread and anything there is to be said, has been said about a hundred thousand times already.

It's theft. That's it.

That's pretty much like saying i've stolen your post when I quote it.
Piracy may not be legal, but certainly isn't theft.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy has its uses. I'd say more but honestly this has become a weekly thread and anything there is to be said, has been said about a hundred thousand times already.

That's pretty much like saying i've stolen your post when I quote it.
Piracy may not be legal, but certainly isn't theft.
But it is like stealing a car -FBI

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How many threads have discussed this? Still nothing bad.

If you'd ask me this 3 years ago I would have posted the exact opposite to my opinion now. I buy all my games now; between sales or a long awaited game I can afford it now. Then again I barely play as much as I do.

Piracy is wrong, but I believe that the claims of how much it hurts the industry (gaming or otherwise) is overflated and inaccurate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway