Homebrew [33c3] Console Hacking 2016 (3DS/WiiU) talk Dec 27-30: smea, derrek, nedwill, naehrwert

What will Santa Hax bring us this year?

• Slowhax (arm11 kernelhax)

Votes: 184 32.1%
  • Soundhax (free primary userland sploit)

Votes: 183 31.9%
  • Bootrom dump method !!

Votes: 166 28.9%
  • Something more awesome than the above.

Votes: 156 27.2%
  • Something nice for the WiiU

Votes: 178 31.0%
  • Nothing. Ninty will banhammer: 001-1337 "Your use of this speech has been restricted by Nintendo"

Votes: 80 13.9%
  • This checkbox pleases me

Votes: 152 26.5%
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Votes: 92 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The countdown to Snorlhax begins!

inb4 dsi mode hacked and we can end up running .ds roms
Not likely. The 3DS is a current gen system that supports DS games natively. So it would be considered to be "promoting piracy", which goes against the sensibilities of most homebrew devs.

Whereas Emulators, despite technically promoting piracy, fall into moral grey area which is deemed acceptable by the Homebrew community.

Reactions: the assaf

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
The countdown to Snorlhax begins!

Not likely. The 3DS is a current gen system that supports DS games natively. So it would be considered to be "promoting piracy", which goes against the sensibilities of most homebrew devs.

Whereas Emulators, despite technically promoting piracy, fall into moral grey area which is deemed acceptable by the Homebrew community.
Yeah I perfectly see what you mean, But I mean just a way to make it possibly, Not directly releasing DSiModeHax or anything.

nooby89

A normal member with a stupid alias
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Finally waithax won't be presented...
For 3DS I think there's will bootrom dump method and nds rom booter.
Or downgrade with sysDowngrader on 11.0.0/11.1.0 firmware without DSiWare.

Last edited by nooby89,
Reactions: hellionz and PRAGMA

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For 3DS I think there's will bootrom dump method
What could be achieved with a bootrom dump? How would a bootrom exploit be advantageous over arm9loaderhax?

Surely any difference in boot speed would be negligible, if noticeable at all. Don't tell me you're one of those "a9lh isn't real CFW like PSP" people:whip:

fodder

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What could be achieved with a bootrom dump? How would a bootrom exploit be advantageous over arm9loaderhax?

Surely any difference in boot speed would be negligible, if noticeable at all. Don't tell me you're one of those "a9lh isn't real CFW like PSP" people:whip:
as with most systems, the bootrom is the root of trust on the system, and being able to dump bootrom would likely give keys & whatnot, and we all know what can be done with those

not to mention, that if you're able to even dump the bootrom, you may be able to find some exploit for it, which would be huge for numerous reasons, a main one being that Nintendo can't do anything about it other than make new systems with an updated bootrom

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Bootroom is the first secured thing to load which then grants permission to other system functions. If you can insert a payload there you can have access to basically anything.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/8344.html

Important details:
Title: Nintendo Hacking 2016: Game Over
Dec 27 (8:30pm German time) 2:30pm EST, 1:30pm CST, 12:30pm MST, 11:30am PST
Room: Saal 2
new info "includes exploits for achieving persistent code execution capabilities and the extraction of secrets from both Wii U and 3DS"

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/8344.html

Important details:
Title: Nintendo Hacking 2016: Game Over
Dec 27 (8:30pm German time) 2:30pm EST, 1:30pm CST, 12:30pm MST, 11:30am PST
Room: Saal 2
new info "includes exploits for achieving persistent code execution capabilities and the extraction of secrets from both Wii U and 3DS"

(?)
Persistent(?)
If it's 3ds related, we already have a9lh which is persistent enough. o.O
This is exciting!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH