Status
Not open for further replies.

metalslug53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After all this talk about EXFat corruption, I'm a bit nervous about my own card. Is there a quick way to check and see what my card is formatted to? (I'm guessing it's as simple as plugging it in and just checking the card properties on my PC or something...)

EDIT: Just figured it out and goddamn it, my card is ExFAT.

Is formatting it as simple as just copying everything off my card to the desktop, then formatting, and dropping it all back in?

Last edited by metalslug53,

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, if you copy all files, format and then put them back, everything will be like before.

After all this talk about EXFat corruption, I'm a bit nervous about my own card. Is there a quick way to check and see what my card is formatted to? (I'm guessing it's as simple as plugging it in and just checking the card properties on my PC or something...)

EDIT: Just figured it out and goddamn it, my card is ExFAT.

Is formatting it as simple as just copying everything off my card to the desktop, then formatting, and dropping it all back in?

Clapmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton for all the help! :D

Just be aware that you can't put any file over 4gb in size on a fat32 card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Probably just tearing.
Does it persist on the Menu?
Yeah it started ingame with Sonic 2 and was still happening when I pulled up the retroarch menu.

metalslug53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just be aware that you can't put any file over 4gb in size on a fat32 card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah it started ingame with Sonic 2 and was still happening when I pulled up the retroarch menu.

I don't think I'll ever have a need for a file that large. I mostly just emulate the older systems and don't really have any plans on dumping Switch games or pirating anything.

I think I'll be good, but thanks for the warning! E;

Legendre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So... I can't use this because i have an ExFAT sd card? fu** ...

I was looking forward to finishing a game that had pending GBA

metalslug53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... I can't use this because i have an ExFAT sd card? fu** ...

I was looking forward to finishing a game that had pending GBA

You can use it on ExFat just fine, but your card WILL fail sooner rather than later. ExFat and Switch don't work well together. =(

Bitsoft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given enough time, everything is guaranteed. Including memory corruption and total nuclear anhillitation.
Does corruption with exfat only happen retroarch or other stuff like NSP installs as well? Is it sufficient to just have a separate fat32 card for retroarch and another exfat card for all my NSP installs?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does corruption with exfat only happen retroarch or other stuff like NSP installs as well? Is it sufficient to just have a separate fat32 card for retroarch and another exfat card for all my NSP installs?
All homebrew is prone to it.

You can use separate cards, but when network install gets added to Tinfoil then there will be no issue anymore.

Reactions: Bitsoft

Bitsoft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All homebrew is prone to it.

You can use separate cards, but when network install gets added to Tinfoil then there will be no issue anymore.
Does corruption mean permanent SD card corruption or just that the files become corrupted?

What does network install do and how will that solve the problem? Should I re-install all my NSPs when that update comes?

Offtopic: Is there a way to split NSPs and the data it installs to <4 GBs?

Last edited by Bitsoft,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It solves the problem because you won’t need to copy 4GB+ nsp files to the card anymore. They get installed over network.

The exFAT issue corrupts the files. Actual damage to the card is unlikely.

Reactions: Bitsoft
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and the lightning is frequent, so my power will most likely go out