Did they kill Kingdom Hearts with making too many new games?

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember a long time ago when I first played Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 they were amazing. Especially Kingdom Hearts 2. The game had everything in it gameplay, amazing story, graphics, and when I played the games I enjoyed it. With Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days I played the whole game all the missions but I just felt that the game had good gameplay, nice graphics, and that was about it the story line was pretty bullshit and useless. With Kingdom hearts Chain of Memory I played it on the GBA and I did beat the whole game but I just beat it for only one reason and that reason was for just completing the game, the story line in that game was also really bad as in the end he didn't remember anything anyways of what he was doing during that time. Then goes Birth By Sleep. Birth By Sleep was a fun game but in my opinion it was too repetitive. It was a good game but not as good as Kingdom hearts 2.

I remember when I played Kingdom Hearts 2 I loved it so much that I was obsessed with it for like 2 years. Now after Birth By Sleep I don't really care anymore and don't care at all almost for Kingdom hearts Coded.

Square Enix make a real Kingdom hearts game already with Sora. I want a new game that is after Kingdom Hearts 2 not BEFORE.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They killed it with KH2. Adding too many characters way too fast that they had to make newer games so the player can understand who they are.

Simple yet amazing story in the first game, and now that's gone out the window. It was a serious like story, but still cartoonish, but now they just did too much with it.

They shouldn't have made KH2 the way it was. They should have kept it simple, but yet stretch the series out to explain the organization at a steady pace instead of:

"KH1 was about Ansem... BAM here's KH2 with over 15 new characters! OH WAIT! HERE'S 358 WITH ANOTHER NEW CHARACTER! HERE'S BBS WITH 6 NEW CHARACTERS!"

They did too much, too fast, and fucked up a simple story. That's the reason why I haven't been a fan of the series since KH2. And even then, I only played that just for the gameplay, the story lost me.

Xale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only game i didnt really like was 358/2 days, i didnt really care for the missions, and the story wasnt that great, other than that i love all the games, even chain of memories even though people bash it, its one of my favorites but my favorite is birth by sleep, i do agree that they need to move forward with the story and stop going back though, which is what they are doing with recoded

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Jakob95 said:
I remember a long time ago when I first played Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 they were amazing. Especially Kingdom Hearts 2. The game had everything in it gameplay, amazing story, graphics, and when I played the games I enjoyed it. With Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days I played the whole game all the missions but I just felt that the game had good gameplay, nice graphics, and that was about it the story line was pretty bullshit and useless. With Kingdom hearts Chain of Memory I played it on the GBA and I did beat the whole game but I just beat it for only one reason and that reason was for just completing the game, the story line in that game was also really bad as in the end he didn't remember anything anyways of what he was doing during that time. Then goes Birth By Sleep. Birth By Sleep was a fun game but in my opinion it was too repetitive. It was a good game but not as good as Kingdom hearts 2.

I remember when I played Kingdom Hearts 2 I loved it so much that I was obsessed with it for like 2 years. Now after Birth By Sleep I don't really care anymore and don't care at all almost for Kingdom hearts Coded.

Square Enix make a real Kingdom hearts game already with Sora. I want a new game that is after Kingdom Hearts 2 not BEFORE.
I think the best of the bunch is BbS, mainly because it has the LESS repetitive battle system, and seeing as how you've played all the others I don't see how it isn't one of the ones you like, since it answers a lot of questions, while still leaving some.
KH3DS will have Sora and it's set after KH2 so you're gonna be happy with it I suppose.

Urza said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Dec 6 2010, 04:36 PM) They killed it with KH2.
Pointless post is pointless!

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love every last bit of how KH is unfolding.

It's the confusion that ShadowSoldier is complaining about that pulls me in.

The confusion causes you to replay games and try to figure out exactly where you are, why you are, etc.

Chain of Memories set-up the connection between the first and 2nd games. Sure, Sora doesn't remember any of it, but in KH2 Namine's importance is established.

358/2 Days was important because everyone was gonna complain about Roxas's backstory without it, plus it gives an inside look at how the Organization works.

Birth by Sleep I can't comment much on since I've only just picked it up and finished 2 storylines, but it shows Xehanort's true motives(which also means KH1's "Ansem" and Xemnas's motives).

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I believe KH is still going strong.

All the confusion with Roxas, the Nobodies, the Shadow Soldier guy, everything is just making me want more.

In short: yeah, they might be overdoing it on the spin-offs but I believe the main story is going along just fine.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
They killed it with KH2. Adding too many characters way too fast that they had to make newer games so the player can understand who they are.

Simple yet amazing story in the first game, and now that's gone out the window. It was a serious like story, but still cartoonish, but now they just did too much with it.

They shouldn't have made KH2 the way it was. They should have kept it simple, but yet stretch the series out to explain the organization at a steady pace instead of:

"KH1 was about Ansem... BAM here's KH2 with over 15 new characters! OH WAIT! HERE'S 358 WITH ANOTHER NEW CHARACTER! HERE'S BBS WITH 6 NEW CHARACTERS!"

They did too much, too fast, and fucked up a simple story. That's the reason why I haven't been a fan of the series since KH2. And even then, I only played that just for the gameplay, the story lost me.
I agree they complicated the story more than they should have, which can get ridiculous and might just be seen as dumb, specially in a fantasy game. However, I can't wait for KH3. Maybe someday.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't mind confusion in a game series or something, something that you have to think back and figure it all out.

But I would have preferred it if they did it gradually y'know? Like, KH2 just pushed all out at once which ruined what KH1 set up.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've enjoyed almost all the games in terms of gameplay, but the issue is that there's usually way too much filler. ReCoded is actually pretty useless in terms of story except for the secret ending.

There's a good chance the 3DS game will be somewhat decent though. BBS was really fun for me, and the same team is making 3D. There are going to be a bunch of new worlds according to the developers. I'm not saying it WILL be good, but i hope it will.

The best games are BBS, KH1, and KH2. I'd probably put them in that order in terms of what i like too. And all have issues. KH1 had one of the WORST camera systems and controls i've had in a competent game. It made the game extremely frustrating. KH2 fixed these issues, but was generally way too easy and discarded almost all hint of platforming and exploration the first game had. BBS was far better in terms of not bombarding you with useless filler (most of the worlds you visit have some relevance to the plot or future plots).

Although i enjoyed KH2, it felt to me like it was unfinished. And it kind of was. The Final Mix for that one makes it worth importing. They added a new critical difficulty (which makes the game actually difficult). A Bunch of new bosses and content (Roxas boss was probably the funnest, and possibly hardest in the game). It's the only FM in the series i'd consider getting over the US version due to the sheer amount of new content.

It's funny, KH1 had what i'd say was the best mix of different gameplay genres. Not only was it a difficult action RPG, but it had platforming and exploration. The issue was that the camera and controls made the game a chore to play. By KH2, they fixed the camera and control problems, yet scrapped almost any hint of platforming or exploration. What a waste. ReCoded is bringing platforming back at least.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Jakob95 said:

I think the best of the bunch is BbS, mainly because it has the LESS repetitive battle system, and seeing as how you've played all the others I don't see how it isn't one of the ones you like, since it answers a lot of questions, while still leaving some.
KH3DS will have Sora and it's set after KH2 so you're gonna be happy with it I suppose.

Urza said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Dec 6 2010, 04:36 PM) They killed it with KH2.
Pointless post is pointless!
Its going to be after Kingdom Hearts 2? Like after when Sora gets his letters? Does that mean its the Kingdom Hearts 3?

EDIT: I actually liked KH2. It was by far the easiest one and I liked it that way. I hated those exploration stuff in KH1 because it always made the game boring for me find out what I should do and stuff. I like action games that are straight forward like this KH2 and God of War.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as they finish up the Kingdom Heart story it is fine...No story is great without some mystery...That's one of the reason Golden Sun is great as well.

The gameplay of Kingdom Heart is unique and I've always loved that.

Kingdom Heart in a general aspect is just a bit of uniqueness...And most games nowadays lack that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah you do you got @BakerMan @AncientBoi and @BigOnYa