• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you reckon guns should be banned in the U.S.? (Please vote)

Should guns be banned in the U.S.?

• Yes.

Votes: 84 50.9%
  • No.

Votes: 81 49.1%

• Total voters

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the same regulations for guns that we do for cars... Perhaps you're onto something.

You mean like no license required unless you use it on public property, license required to use on public property but you can get it at 16yo by passing an idiot test, can't buy a sports car (handgun) anywhere but from a dealer in your home state, etc?

It's a stupid analogy.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banning weapons is probably as good as we'll get.
Again, I am pro hunting rifle, but automatic weapons have no place in the hohome

"automatic" weapons have been effectively banned (heavily regulated, registration required) since 1934 and production or importation of new automatic weapons has been banned since 1986.

If you mean "semi-auto", that's a broad category. Technically, even revolvers are semi-auto.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
As long as you don't drive cars on public roads, you don't need a license.

Therefore, what he's saying is if you don't use your gun in public, you don't need a license.
I'm not familiar with USA laws, but here from where I am at, if you injury someone or cause material damage to other's proprieties while driving without having license, you are criminally responsible, If what you did was a crime anyway, the lack of license aggravate the said crime, not matter if it is on or off public roads. The fines change tho.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with USA laws, but here from where I am at, if you injury someone or cause material damage to other's proprieties while driving without having license, you are criminally responsible, If what you did was a crime anyway, the lack of license aggravate the said crime, not matter if it is on or off public roads. The fines change tho.
yes, other countries it's illegal to not have a license to drive, here it's a suggestion as long as you drive only on private roads

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It shouldn't be 16, but a test would be nice.

I'm imagining a test where you are supervised while shooting a gun in a target range with a dummy. If you can fire ten rounds and not hit the instructor, yourself, or the dummy, then you pass.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
Banning weapons is probably as good as we'll get.
Again, I am pro hunting rifle, but automatic weapons have no place in the home.

You'll be happy to hear that automatic weapons were banned decades ago. It's technically possible to purchase privately owned weapons that were sold before the ban. But they are in the hands of collectors and no shootings have used one for some time even before the ban.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If an illegal tree illegally falls in an illegal forest, is it really illegal if no one is around to prosecute?

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
"automatic" weapons have been effectively banned (heavily regulated, registration required) since 1934 and production or importation of new automatic weapons has been banned since 1986.

If you mean "semi-auto", that's a broad category. Technically, even revolvers are semi-auto.
Yep, I was wrong.

Military weapons, I mean.
Sorry.
Long day.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yep, I was wrong.

Military weapons, I mean.
Sorry.
Long day.

It's about to get longer.

"Military weapons", for a well regulated militia, even. How preposterous.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love it if militaries around the world banned militaries all around the world. But then again, that's how wars start. And the children!

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't get me wrong. I'd love it if militaries around the world banned militaries all around the world. But then again, that's how wars start. And the children!

Yep. Read US v Miller ... SCOTUS has already decided that "military weapons" such as would be normally issued to an infantryman is exactly what the 2nd Amendment protects/guarantees.

Reactions: tabzer

WG481

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, if the "militia" sucks absolute balls then...

Also:
A militia is going to have to be an organization of unprofessional soldiers, not 60 year old Trump supporters who instinctively cock a rifle at the mention of a black person.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, if the "militia" sucks absolute balls then...

Also:
A militia is going to have to be an organization of unprofessional soldiers, not 60 year old Trump supporters who instinctively cock a rifle at the mention of a black person.

Militia and military suuuuck, but it's something we've been doing as long as we've had civilization.

When it comes to war, usually THEY ARE kids.

WG481

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Militia and military suuuuck, but it's something we've been doing as long as we've had civilization.
But we need to, y'know, reform them. Make actual militias that require licensing, don't just hand out a gun to everyone. Prove that the person you are giving a killing machine to can be trusted to use that killing machine.
When it comes to war, usually THEY ARE kids.
Thought that was against the Geneva Conventions but ok.

AlineP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
lol freedom of firearm , its made to kill stuffs , it should only be allowed to people with the training and the need for it but not as a Civillians defending itself because you will end up with too many people getting it .some with mental issues they might not even know they have and they just look normal . making it available to the public is something with way more negatives than positives .
Yeah, too many negatives.
It is like to give freedom to buy nuclear bombs. There is a reason why they have so much control over it: the cons are bigger than pros.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu