DS #1930: James Pond: Codename Robocod (USA)

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I liked playing this when I was young, back when I had no clue what "great" video games were. Part 3 is MUCH BETTER, though, with TONS OF LEVELS - I still have that game in its bulky boxcase
smile.gif

Btw, this is old; Robocod's was released in EU last year. Probably by Sir VG, too
tongue.gif

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I remember huntin down the GBA version to dump, good times
ph34r.gif

Think I'll pass on this, the E version sucked so I doubt this will be improved in any way.
@Raydar, this game was created when the only point of most games was to get from left to right, with a few added score multipliers on the way!

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I liked playing this when I was young, back when I had no clue what "great" video games were. Part 3 is MUCH BETTER, though, with TONS OF LEVELS - I still have that game in its bulky boxcase
smile.gif

Btw, this is old; Robocod's was released in EU last year. Probably by Sir VG, too
tongue.gif

I haven't been dumping for THAT long. And it was 1603 releases ago, give or take depending on the numbering system here.

Legacy did it. My first release was in the mid 0600s.

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, I thought this was new part of James Pond judging the cover - but no it's just the same game.

God, some of you just made me feel very old!

I played this on Amiga too. When I was only 6 - 17 years ago!

Ahhh!! Zool....How I've forgetten about that games. Retro games - good times.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I also remember playing this on the Amiga. I thought it was one of the most fun games at the time. Unbelievable! It was 1991 if I'm not mistaken. Freddie Mercury had just past away. This IS a long time ago. It makes this a strange release. If they released this as a video-game-classic, I would appreciate it, but kids who didn't know the game are now thinking this is a new game. It's not really fair and actually kind of ridiculous.

Oh and by the way, if I'm not mistaken, this version is somewhat different from the real one, which spoils the fun even more
frown.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember huntin down the GBA version to dump, good times
ph34r.gif

Think I'll pass on this, the E version sucked so I doubt this will be improved in any way.
@Raydar, this game was created when the only point of most games was to get from left to right, with a few added score multipliers on the way!
I think the first thread I did was asking about the GBA game being dumped.

Sadly the GBA/PSX/PS2/NDS versions are not the original game, the levels are different and badly made, the enemies don't match the stage they are on and there is like 2 tunes that are used over and over again. There was actually a port of the original Amiga game it was finished and reviewed in a few magazines over here but for some reason it never came out. Couple of years later this followed.

I'm guessing the original can also be played on Mega Drive/SNES emulators for the DS so go for that instead of this. There were a lot of fans of the original and for some reason some people who didn't like it, I never understood it as I thought it was a really good fun game with some interesting gameplay mechanics, sure you basically just go from the beginning to the end and collecting Penguins (though in this one its Elves due to advertising reasons) but I loved the vehicles and the swimming levels. A simple platforming game without it being contrived.

plasmatron

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone explain the point of this game to me? I don't understand what is going on........I can jump......when I jump, I can push dpad-down to slam stuff....but what is the point to this game besides getting to the exit and collect stuff? Is there anything else I can do besides jump, slam and collect? I can collect goodies...but for what? Why the hell am I doing this stuff? Am I missing some "moves" or what?

I never played a James Pond game before. 'Splain it to me Lucy! I don't get it.

I'm serious. I really don't understand the point of this game.

No you didn`t miss something. Back in the day you didn`t need 37 fingers to play a game.
lecture.gif

This is a crappy port for sure. The leveldesign is horrible, and I think the original musixx my Richard Joseph (RIP) are also not included.
frown.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was on the NES too right?
No.
SNES/GB/Game Gear/Mega Drive/Atari ST/Amiga 500/Amiga 1200/CD-32/C64/PC. Amiga 1200 version is the best, though virtually the same. Some regions have this as Super James Pond, the rest James Pond 2: Codename Robocod.

This game however is different to that release (CD-32 has new levels I think) but is also on GBA/PS1/PS2 as well. Shame the original GBA version never came out as I heard it had JP 1 on it and Aquatic Games a the multiplayer.

DenGladeBagaren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
James Pond 2: Codename RoboCod is a platform game originally released on the Commodore Amiga in 1991. It was originally released for the Commodore Amiga, DOS and Mega Drive/Genesis, from three different publishers. Later, the game appeared on Amiga CD32, Atari ST, Commodore 64 and SNES. The SNES version was called Super James Pond in North America, whereas in other regions was named Super James Pond II. More recently the game was ported and released as a budget title for the PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS by Play It Ltd.

James Pond 2 was released for the Gameboy Advance on August 16, 2005. The DS version (identical with the exception of the map) was released on December 5, 2005. The version of the game released for Nintendo's handheld consoles is largely different from that of the original. The graphics have been polished and improved to take advantage of the consoles' colour depth, and whilst the levels are themed the same as those in the original, their layout is entirely different. In addition, the Hidden Levels have been omitted entirely from the game

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66724

FrozenOne23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
This was on the NES too right?

No.
SNES/GB/Game Gear/Mega Drive/Atari ST/Amiga 500/Amiga 1200/CD-32/C64/PC. Amiga 1200 version is the best, though virtually the same. Some regions have this as Super James Pond, the rest James Pond 2: Codename Robocod.

This game however is different to that release (CD-32 has new levels I think) but is also on GBA/PS1/PS2 as well. Shame the original GBA version never came out as I heard it had JP 1 on it and Aquatic Games a the multiplayer.

Hmm, I'd sworn I played this before, well, guess you're right
wink.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would think the 'most ported' award would go to Pong, Cannon Fodder, or Pitfall (the last thanks to it's inclusion in almost every Pitfall sequel)...all 3 seem to be on a couple dozen platforms.

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Zero Wing? Actually... No one knows for certain exactly who "translated" it, or the current IP owner (if any since they went bankrupt).

Its shrouded in mystery you see shhh!

I declare zero wing abandonware!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjIXjGzImE