FTP via ethernet quest

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Should the PC be directly connected to my PS3 when uploading files from the former to the latter and downloading them from the PS3 to the PC using an ethernet cable via FTP or should they be connected to the router, and if the latter, would it be slower than the former?

EDIT: Sorry for the typo on the title.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,
Reactions: Eveldee

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
changing to 1 might help a bit, but it won't help in the long run. you shouldn't really need to transfer a lot of small files. keep pkg files and isos on your pc, and transfer them. higher compatibility with isos, and pkg files are one 1 file.

Do you think I'll have the timeout problem when uploading ISO and PKG files, even if over a ISO and PKG in a row and big ISOs and PKGs? They might be just one file each but inside each ISO and PKG file there's a lot of files so what matters in this case is since they're compressed it's as if they were only 1 file each and their size doesn't matter and because of that I shouldn't have problems? Anyway, what about uploading + 100 ISO/PKG files in a row, then?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's counted as 1 file. you shouldn't a problem with 100 of them. the problem is that the ps3 opens and closes threads in rapid succession, and it can't keep up. the ps3 is no where near future proof like sony claimed. it's bottlenecked in a number of areas.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that apps like wmm see ftp as low priority. the point is to keep the system stable, so instead of the system crashing, they've opted to drop ftp connections once they get to a certain point. that's what I've heard is the actual reason for the ftp time out issue.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it's counted as 1 file. you shouldn't a problem with 100 of them. the problem is that the ps3 opens and closes threads in rapid succession, and it can't keep up. the ps3 is no where near future proof like sony claimed. it's bottlenecked in a number of areas.

But will I have problems or not? Which ones and what causes them, the PS3's HDD/eMMC/SSD/SSHD?

I know that apps like wmm see ftp as low priority. the point is to keep the system stable, so instead of the system crashing, they've opted to drop ftp connections once they get to a certain point. that's what I've heard is the actual reason for the ftp time out issue.

I use IRISMAN and FileZilla Client.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they're all like that. the ps3 has very little ram to run these apps in the background, so they have to sacrifice certain things. you probably won't have problems with big files, it's just small files that are an issue or the fact that it's in rapid succession. it's a ps3 problem.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, pkg files are taken from sony's servers like the cdn of NIntendo. they'll never disappear unless sony opts to take them down. rap files are just the content id+a hex key, which you can create in HxD. they're nothing special at all, so you could tell people the content id, then the rap key, and those won't disappear either as they've all been backed up on people's computers. iso files will remain as they've been replicated so many times over across the internet, so don't worry about this stuff. if you're trying to copy a game, that's in jb format, convert to iso with ps3 iso tools. don't copy a pkg game as some games, like little big planet, have tens of thousands of files, and it's like it will get corrupted. just use the pkg, 1 file, it won't matter how many files are inside, it won't have a problem with that.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
btw, pkg files are taken from sony's servers like the cdn of NIntendo. they'll never disappear unless sony opts to take them down. rap files are just the content id+a hex key, which you can create in HxD. they're nothing special at all, so you could tell people the content id, then the rap key, and those won't disappear either as they've all been backed up on people's computers. iso files will remain as they've been replicated so many times over across the internet, so don't worry about this stuff. if you're trying to copy a game, that's in jb format, convert to iso with ps3 iso tools. don't copy a pkg game as some games, like little big planet, have tens of thousands of files, and it's like it will get corrupted. just use the pkg, 1 file, it won't matter how many files are inside, it won't have a problem with that.

What about PSN PSP games?

Not everyone backs up RAP files, and even if they do, they may delete them by mistake or their PC's HDD/SSD/eMMC/SSHD may become faulty with time.

I thought websites only released games on folder or PKG formats, not in ISO one, and folder format games were converted to ISO format after being downloaded. Also, websites are constantly being taken down.

But I had problems uploading ISO and PKG games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could load a psp iso using the psp launcher or remastered. I remember low compatibility though. all the psp games are using is the minis emulator, so that's the reason for the low compatibility. I think it refers to itself as the psp emulator, but it's only booting minis.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
in that event, there's nothing you can do. even to make a fix, you need the license in order to decrypt the content.

I know it's somewhat OT but it also has to do with this conversation. What will happen if Sony closes PSN on PS3 and PS Vita/PS TV like they did on the PSP, will it be impossible to buy PSN content but already paid one will still be playable? And what if the latter is deleted, will it still be downloadable?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly, there's no way to know. all of these sites that deliver psn content utilize sony's links. one of the biggest fuck ups by sony is that it doesn't check if the content is being downloaded by a sony system. you can download this on the pc with the psp, vita, ps3, ps4, and I think ps5 as well. you just need the license, which you can't get without buying the game. that's why no fixes were ever produced before a game's launch. the number of permutations to brute force the license would be millions of years, even with a super computer. think about a 32 byte long number, how many possible combinations there are along with a-f in the numbering sequence. if sony closes the psn shop, it may be game over. it just depends on if you can still access the content on the pc.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
possibly, there's no way to know. all of these sites that deliver psn content utilize sony's links. one of the biggest fuck ups by sony is that it doesn't check if the content is being downloaded by a sony system. you can download this on the pc with the psp, vita, ps3, ps4, and I think ps5 as well. you just need the license, which you can't get without buying the game. that's why no fixes were ever produced before a game's launch. the number of permutations to brute force the license would be millions of years, even with a super computer. think about a 32 byte long number, how many possible combinations there are along with a-f in the numbering sequence. if sony closes the psn shop, it may be game over. it just depends on if you can still access the content on the pc.

Actually, I was talking about those which deliver folder format games but what if Sony after closing PSN on PS3 deletes the PKG files? Anyway, I think here's an advantage of having physical copies over digital ones.

here's almost all psn updates (download to a pc if you can. it's about 1.27TBs). use wget to download them.

Sorry, what is that for?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Those are nearly all of the game update files. The content, games and dlc, would be very large. This should be within the rules of this site.

I have a question, why are there PKG files without the matching RAP ones and why do some PKG files work without the matching RAP files? Also, if some PKG files don't work without the matching RAP files or the latter are not available in the websites and the PKG files don't work, do you think one should lose time creating RAP files? If so, you previously explained how to create them but could you be more specific?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixes or games that don't need the rap are just games resigned as free. However, you need the rap to decrypt certain files or resigning them is impossible. We have most of the rap keys. I believe, so it's not a problem recreating them. All raps are is a 16 byte key named after the content id. Those will always exist. Also, trial games that become full games are c00 games, named after the c00 folder, which houses the other icon0.png and the new param.sfo to remove "trial" from the name and icon. Those use a generic license, an edat, that's based on the content id. That's why those work without a rap. Though rare, some games, like ratchet and clank full frontal assault/q-force have both a rap and edat. To change from trial to full game for edat games only requires opening the game.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Fixes or games that don't need the rap are just games resigned as free. However, you need the rap to decrypt certain files or resigning them is impossible. We have most of the rap keys. I believe, so it's not a problem recreating them. All raps are is a 16 byte key named after the content id. Those will always exist. Also, trial games that become full games are c00 games, named after the c00 folder, which houses the other icon0.png and the new param.sfo to remove "trial" from the name and icon. Those use a generic license, an edat, that's based on the content id. That's why those work without a rap. Though rare, some games, like ratchet and clank full frontal assault/q-force have both a rap and edat. To change from trial to full game for edat games only requires opening the game.

What does "resigned" mean? Are there games already "fused" with RAP files? How can HEX keys be manually generated if the PKG file needs a RAP one and it's not found?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean the system thinks that the game is free, bypassing the normal licensing thing. That's how it is with all hacked systems, since we don't have the private keys for any of them. You can't just create a rap file. Those are unique to the game. That's why there's never been a game fix released before the game's release date even when you can preload games.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I mean the system thinks that the game is free, bypassing the normal licensing thing. That's how it is with all hacked systems, since we don't have the master keys for any of them. You can't just create a rap file. Those are unique to the game. That's why there's never been a game fix released before the game's release date even when you can preload games.

I thought you said RAP was the content ID + a HEX file (whatever that is) that could be created (I didn't get if it was the HEX file or the whole RAP file) by something called HxD.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true. We know the content id, but we can't know the hex key unless the content is bought, can't know the God or psn link either without using a proxy. That's how we get the links. None of this requires hacking anything.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhe5d1WED8 +1