FTP via ethernet quest

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Should the PC be directly connected to my PS3 when uploading files from the former to the latter and downloading them from the PS3 to the PC using an ethernet cable via FTP or should they be connected to the router, and if the latter, would it be slower than the former?

EDIT: Sorry for the typo on the title.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,
Reactions: Eveldee

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most likely the PS3 speed will be the limiting factor (even the HDD can be quite slow) if you make sure everything is wired with gigabit ethernet (your router most likely is). I've seen people talking about a limit around 30MB/s on the PS3 ethernet bandwidth so if you have something around that you're not limited by the router or your PC

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Most likely the PS3 speed will be the limiting factor (even the HDD can be quite slow) if you make sure everything is wired with gigabit ethernet (your router most likely is). I've seen people talking about a limit around 30MB/s on the PS3 ethernet bandwidth so if you have something around that you're not limited by the router or your PC

I think my maximum speed was 20 MiB/s. So, do you think I won't see any difference in terms of speed between connecting the PC to the PS3 directly and connecting the PC and the PS3 to the router? May the PS3's HDD/eMMC/SSD/SSHD be a bottleneck to not get gigabit speed?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People tried to find the reason in this post on PSX-Place, some think that it's because of a low level patch in the PS3 firmware but nobody really knows why, we only have the numbers to see that indeed it's faster on older firmwares

And is there a difference between using different FTP servers? For instance, are Rebug Toolbox and WinSCP faster than IRISMAN? Also, why does FileZilla Client always timeout when uploading files?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't know.

Should the USB device be on the PS3 Slim's right USB port when playing backups via USB or it doesn't matter? I think I read something about it having to be in the right USB port or maybe it was just to hack the PS3 Slim when following PS3Xploit.

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And there may be a difference between used FTP servers on the PS3 and PC? For instance, if I use Rebug Toolbox instead of IRISMAN and another program instead of FileZilla might be faster than using IRISMAN and FileZilla? Also, why does FileZilla always time out when transferring files?
As I've read, the only FTP server to avoid is the one in webMan, it's purposely made to use few ressources since it can run while a game is played, either use the one in irisMan or Rebug toolbox, they should use the same library. As for clients I don't really know, I've just seen that you need to disable multiple connections to get max transfer speeds

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
As I've read, the only FTP server to avoid is the one in webMan, it's purposely made to use few ressources since it can run while a game is played, either use the one in irisMan or Rebug toolbox, they should use the same library. As for clients I don't really know, I've just seen that you need to disable multiple connections to get max transfer speeds

Where can I disable them, and if I do it, will FileZilla Client timeout when uploading files?

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Where can I disable it, and if I do, will FileZilla time out when transferring files?
Long time since I've used FileZilla but it should be in the connection options, you should find something like "maximum number of concurrent connections" with a number associated to it, set it to 1. And no it shouldn't timeout, FTP isn't a feature complete protocol but it should be stable enough to transfer large files.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they do indeed use the same library. all the ftp code is taken from openftp, and modified a bit to fit the app. I use the openftp app, and disabled the one in wmm, which is what I use for my games. it seems to connect faster. it's a plugin btw, so add it to the boot plugins txt file on the root of the internal hdd, then you can place the plugin itself anywhere on the hdd as long as you have that path in the txt file.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Long time since I've used FileZilla but it should be in the connection options, you should find something like "maximum number of concurrent connections" with a number associated to it, set it to 1. And no it shouldn't timeout, FTP isn't a feature complete protocol but it should be stable enough to transfer large files.

It's set to 2 by default. Should it be decreased to 1? But in this case, I don't think the problem is uploading large files but a lot of files (in many cases, small ones). I think it will still timeout. I've been told this is very common when uploading files to the PS3.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
changing to 1 might help a bit, but it won't help in the long run. you shouldn't really need to transfer a lot of small files. keep pkg files and isos on your pc, and transfer them. higher compatibility with isos, and pkg files are one 1 file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Roll them little snake eyes in