Hacking How high are the chances that we could see a dual boot option with Android?

How high are the chances that we could see a dual boot option with Android?

• 100%

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • 90%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 80%

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 70%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 60%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • 40%

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 30%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 10%

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • 0%

Votes: 79 47.3%

• Total voters

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
Even my grandma’s old pants can run Android, but WHY?who buys $300 gaming system to run android on it? Just buy $40 tablet

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What tablet give controllers attached,enough power to run all the emulators without problem.. for $40?

I wanna buy several of them..

Exactly. I have a Windows tablet with telescopic controller and that was damn near 130. Also, add this for one more reason to have Android on Switch. -you can use it as a cable box (provided you're a customer of Verizon, Comcast or another company that has a channel viewing app).

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any chance that we could get the switch firmware on other android tablets? I'd like to see improved performance on games with the better hardware.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0%? Really guys?

Given that we ALREADY have Ubuntu working, I'd say pretty high. In fact, you might even be able to make an image of Android in VirtualBox and boot it already
It's not Ubuntu ON the Switch. It's a VirtualBox image of Ubuntu that comes with the PegaSwitch server so you don't have to spend hours setting it all up yourself. (Unless I COMPLETELY missed something...)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any chance that we could get the switch firmware on other android tablets? I'd like to see improved performance on games with the better hardware.

Other non-Tegra Android devices, probably not. I'm sure that Switch games are made with Tegra specifically in mind. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a port of Nintendo OS on Shield TV and see how many games can run even with the lack of 1GB RAM. I doubt every Switch game is pushing the 4GB.

Last edited by LightyKD,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Skur3byk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't understand this fixation with Android/Linux on the Switch. There's no reason to do so outside of "cuz I can". You'd lose a huge chunk of Switch software (this includes games and online) until someone found some janky way of providing basic support. Not to mention the fact there will be improper driver support for the controllers and peripherals. I seriously don't understand.
Heard of nvidia shield? The OG one?
Its almost the same chip, it was running in the same resolution, and the drivers are obtainable till this day.
Also, have you heard that some of switch games were or will be ported to nvidia shield tv for china? ( Cuz switch is illegal in china and the big N wants some money)
So yeah, ports of games on android platform? Check.
Android drivers? Check.
XDA developers willing to do that for free? Check.
Its just a matter of time when switch will be hacked and trust me, XDA devs are capable of making this happen.

Reactions: Pleng

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not impossible, but it's unlikely to ever happen. I can understand that you'd want to only carry around one device at a time, but when you take your Switch on the go, do you leave your phone home? Doubt it.
Actually it's very likely to happen and access to the boot loader wouldn't be needed just trust zone which is attainable already on certain firmware and seemingly all firmware with the xecuter method. Running Linux on a game console is nothing new and if the history of console hacking is any indicator it will happen. As for droid it may happen as it is a Unix based operating system and already optimized for mobile hardware however that depends on interest from developers.

Last edited by mikey420,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure from a UI POV this could go down a few ways. Separate launcher via SD card. This method would either be Android TV, a traditional android launcher or a non traditional one but something that makes sense like "TV Launcher". The other method would be some sort of "APK wrapper". Something similar to how Android apps work on Chrome OS. Overall the UI is Chrome OS but your Android apps blend in along with your Chrome Web apps. I can see this as the approved method for Nintendo purists. As they say, the best mods don't look like mods at all.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sigh people in this thread just thinking Download Android, press button Port to magicial device and it will suddenly work. Sure, maybe it will boot... that's a big freaking maybe, only reason why it might boot but not work later on is because of the resemblance of the Shield. Not all distros work right out of the box either, some need extra drivers etc installed to work properly on your machine, hey some still don't work stable since the drivers are a piece of junk. How the hell would the Switch work with Android if there are some custom junk? It will still need those drivers added to it somehow.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Sigh people in this thread just thinking Download Android, press button Port to magicial device and it will suddenly work. Sure, maybe it will boot... that's a big freaking maybe, only reason why it might boot but not work later on is because of the resemblance of the Shield. Not all distros work right out of the box either, some need extra drivers etc installed to work properly on your machine, hey some still don't work stable since the drivers are a piece of junk. How the hell would the Switch work with Android if there are some custom junk? It will still need those drivers added to it somehow.
This is what I meant to point out but a mess of nothing came instead.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This is what I meant to point out but a mess of nothing came instead.
I know, it's just amazing how some people think it's just to intsall and go. There maybe even third party drivers inside that aren't so easy to rip and push in.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker