Hacking How high are the chances that we could see a dual boot option with Android?

How high are the chances that we could see a dual boot option with Android?

• 100%

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • 90%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 80%

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 70%

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 60%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • 40%

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 30%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • 10%

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • 0%

Votes: 79 47.3%

• Total voters

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Given androids open source one could absolutely port it to the switch with the appropriate permissions. Assuming executors hack works at boot one could easily load an alternate OS at boot. It wouldn't be much more complicated than porting a version of Linux to the hardware. Either way while very possible it's more likely we will see a Linux distro over android though entirely possible to happen.
You're just talking out of your ass right here.

Reactions: yardie

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
But why would you even want that in the first place? You want Candy Crush on your Switch so badly or what?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
But why would you even want that in the first place? You want Candy Crush on your Switch so badly or what?
I don't understand this fixation with Android/Linux on the Switch. There's no reason to do so outside of "cuz I can". You'd lose a huge chunk of Switch software (this includes games and online) until someone found some janky way of providing basic support. Not to mention the fact there will be improper driver support for the controllers and peripherals. I seriously don't understand.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Oh? Please explain how you come to that conclusion?
"Open source" isn't a guarantee that it can be ported to whatever platform you choose. Porting some form of Linux will be far easier than Android. You'd still lose a ton of functionality either way. The complications in porting Android are far too great for it to be worthwhile.

Last edited by Kioku,

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Open source" isn't a guarantee that it can be ported to whatever platform you choose. Porting some form of Linux will be far easier than Android. You'd still lose a ton of functionality either way. The complications in porting Android are far too great for it to be worthwhile.
Of course there would be complications in either port. It's not easy and Android being Unix based would make it not much more difficult to port than a Unix based Linux distro.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand this fixation with Android/Linux on the Switch. There's no reason to do so outside of "cuz I can". You'd lose a huge chunk of Switch software (this includes games and online) until someone found some janky way of providing basic support. Not to mention the fact there will be improper driver support for the controllers and peripherals. I seriously don't understand.
You do understand that the installation would live on an SD card and wouldn't overwrite the Switch OS, right?...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You do understand that the installation would live on an SD card and wouldn't overwrite the Switch OS, right?...
Even worse, realistically. It's one thing to have a Live USB, but to rely on an SD card to house a separate operating system is asking for trouble.

I guess I can't say that when looking at things like the RasPi. ;p

It also doesn't change the fact there's no real benefit outside of a poc or "look what I can do!"

Last edited by Kioku,

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even worse, realistically. It's one thing to have a Live USB, but to rely on an SD card to house a separate operating system is asking for trouble.

It also doesn't change the fact there's no real benefit outside of a poc or "look what I can do!"

Reactions: pandavova

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No real benefit?

Emulation...emulation...emulation. Oh and Windows ports to Shield TV like Metal Gear Rising.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beggars can't be choosers

Yeah we can because, I'm not begging for Android but hoping. If it never comes, I'll accept that fact but considering that the Switch is just a Shield TV with one more gig of RAM, chances are high that some Android dev will attempt a port.

Last edited by LightyKD,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
All I want to see are thoughts from someone who has experience with weird things like this. I highly believe you're better off buying a decent tablet if you really want the android experience. I also have no doubts as to this destroying the Switch experience. I could be wrong. Hell, I more than likely am. I remember when AOSP was ported to the Note.. Broke most S Pen functionality for a while. Leads me to believe the Switch won't fare much better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!