Metroid Dread has been leaked online a few days prior to official release

hero.jpg

If waiting four more days until October 8th is too much for you to handle, and you need your Metroid fix now, it might be of interest to know that Metroid Dread for Nintendo Switch has been dumped online. Both an XCI and NSP version of the game are floating about the internet, and it appears that Ryujinx Emulator can boot the game to some extent. According to the early leaked download, the game comes in at just a tick above 4GB. As always, it's important to remember that GBAtemp's ToS do NOT allow linking to warez or illegal content, so please be mindful!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whelp, from what I can see... this was a review copy leak.

Lots of official youtube channels showing off the game that look to have an early copy..(that aren't pirated)
Unlikely, review copies these days are always digital download codes from what I've seen. This leak is a dump from a physical cartridge, which is the usual case for leaked Switch games. Someone in the retail chain with access to the boxed games before they're put on shelves dumped it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should we use stuff like that?
That is entirely up to you to figure that one out.

The two usual concerns are
1) You get banned for using it.
Personally I still go with "you mod, expect a ban, any online you get is a bonus" but some seem to find the self directed hiding, contriving means of stealth and general apathy on Nintendo's part (they could find you out no problem at all if they were actually determined) seeing them stay online for a while after modding as bans are not a thing, and to be fair the timeframes involved are not inconsiderable where you can be hacked and still enjoy online.

2) Some kind of moral issue, maybe with a side of legal question in some scenarios.
We can do the piracy = theft, copying, unsanctioned playing... debate if you like and what people think there. Want it as a demo, were never going to buy it, were always going to buy it (maybe even preordered if they are silly meaning Nintendo technically already has their money for it*)... all those are modifiers in this beyond "don't care, playing it anyway".

*we saw a debate earlier in the thread on this actually. Someone was quite insistent that owning a legit copy (or effectively so) still does not mean downloading it (or some other "illegal" means of obtaining it) is allowed. This is debatable on multiple fronts; the law does allow for backups but does not necessarily specify you have to do the deed yourself even if companies really want that hurdle of you needing to be hacker/electrical engineer, and there is the "what harms are done" question that actually underpins civil law which is presumably where the interactions fall (the state does criminal actions, individuals and corporations suing each other for money fall under civil law) and again they already have your money under some scenarios in that. That also says nothing about terms of service and enforceability thereof.

Third being if you are silly enough to grab this from a torrent or similar that can be traced back to you but that seems like a moot point.

Spoilers being made are a thing but that is always a problem; some retailer breaks street date, some guide maker publishers sooner... avoid spoilers however you normally do being the only real response there as even without a leak do we have to wait for some timeframe in the future for people to have played it (first weekend, end of month, is there a holiday time period any time soon...).

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Personally I still go with "you mod, expect a ban, any online you get is a bonus" but some seem to find the self directed hiding, contriving means of stealth and general apathy on Nintendo's part (they could find you out no problem at all if they were actually determined) seeing them stay online for a while after modding as bans are not a thing, and to be fair the timeframes involved are not inconsiderable where you can be hacked and still enjoy online.

2) Some kind of moral issue, maybe with a side of legal question in some scenarios.
We can do the piracy = theft, copying, unsanctioned playing... debate if you like and what people think there. Want it as a demo, were never going to buy it, were always going to buy it (maybe even preordered if they are silly meaning Nintendo technically already has their money for it*)... all those are modifiers in this beyond "don't care, playing it anyway".

*we saw a debate earlier in the thread on this actually. Someone was quite insistent that owning a legit copy (or effectively so) still does not mean downloading it (or some other "illegal" means of obtaining it) is allowed. This is debatable on multiple fronts; the law does allow for backups but does not necessarily specify you have to do the deed yourself even if companies really want that hurdle of you needing to be hacker/electrical engineer, and there is the "what harms are done" question that actually underpins civil law which is presumably where the interactions fall (the state does criminal actions, individuals and corporations suing each other for money fall under civil law) and again they already have your money under some scenarios in that. That also says nothing about terms of service and enforceability thereof.

Third being if you are silly enough to grab this from a torrent or similar that can be traced back to you but that seems like a moot point.

Spoilers being made are a thing but that is always a problem; some retailer breaks street date, some guide maker publishers sooner... avoid spoilers however you normally do being the only real response there as even without a leak do we have to wait for some timeframe in the future for people to have played it (first weekend, end of month, is there a holiday time period any time soon...).
I love how Nintendo took user-dumped roms and put it on their SNES/NES minis. They owe them pirates some dollars.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if it is a bad game?
Naturally, if you enjoy it.

There's nothing wrong with try before you buy, especially if your finances are tight.

This one for me will be blind support. The Metroid series is lacking love already. This is not the game that needed to be leaked.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You forgot 3) Could be a means to brick consoles. Even if it's a legitimate dump, that doesn't mean every instance on the various sites is clean. I don't know if a hash was provided with the original to help mitigate such things.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unlikely, review copies these days are always digital download codes from what I've seen. This leak is a dump from a physical cartridge, which is the usual case for leaked Switch games. Someone in the retail chain with access to the boxed games before they're put on shelves dumped it.
In the old days, the release groups just bought the games from distributors who had a low minimum order value.

I love how Nintendo took user-dumped roms and put it on their SNES/NES minis. They owe them pirates some dollars.
Why? You never make any sense, so I guess why start now.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot 3) Could be a means to brick consoles. Even if it's a legitimate dump, that doesn't mean every instance on the various sites is clean. I don't know if a hash was provided with the original to help mitigate such things.
You can use nx info to verify it's safe.

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it looks fine to me i just played it 1 hour ! biggest problem i have is the controls the jumping sucks ass ,and yess i played almost all the metroid games my fav is stil the snes version ,counter fighting does not always work wel ,quick time events suck camel DICK

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wtf are you all on

did you forget the 900,000,000,000x other times we all jumped on the hate-boner bandwagon because nintendo sued someone else for dumb shit? or cancelled another fan game? now you're mad that a game leaked early and people are pirating it?

holy yikes actually stay mad, just because you bought a game doesn't mean you get to be a whiney kid when it leaks early

i for one am enjoying it and also not purchasing it, as a big brain

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
19 hours more...

Since i preordered it i waited 3 month, what is another 19 hours more...
IT BETTER NOT SUCK OR ELSE i will not buy another Metroid in my life!!!

KhronosX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pretty sure waiting four days isn't going to kill anyone, and if it's an actual decent title, why not just buy it instead, would seem worth the buy? I always feel like leaks just ruins the experience for others because we know damn well people spoil everything on the internet. Sure you could avoid places that may contain spoilers, but at the same time this is just a bad habit overall. Can't people just break old bad habits for once and just put some real appreciation in place instead?
Actually leaking it is a good strategy to boost sells (if the game is well done).

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Yeah. The original Zelda: Twilight Princess for Gamecube was only 1.4GB. You could beat that ---- in 30 fricking minutes.

And don't let me get started with ALTP for the SNES, which you could beat at the 30 seconds mark. It was only 16MB after all.
NSMBU+NSLU's size on Wii U is 13+ GB, which objectively means it's one of the longest Nintendo games ever.

549633916470820884.gif

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll be buying a physical copy the moment my finances are in better order (been an expensive year for all the right reasons) but I did do a 100% playthrough and had a blast. I want to go through again and later on Hard Mode. I'm also excited to watch some speed runs of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway