• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

opinions on teaching about lgbtq+ in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I believe it is important to teach kids about how people can be different and in what ways people are different, not just because it helps them have more respect for people who are different in those ways but it can also help them better understand themselves if they are too. Many people who are gay or trans feel confused or like something is wrong with them because they never learned about it but if they are taught this stuff they might be able to discover themselves easier.

No one is going to stop being gay or trans because they feel wrong about themself, it's not something people can choose (no matter what bigots think). They can force themselves to try and act like they aren't for others but it's not going to make it not so and is just going to make them feel bad.
Also people who are straight can't be turned gay, anyone claiming otherwise is just peddling bigoted misinformation. What bigots are really scared of is that people who are gay will understand what they are and stop feeling bad about themselves.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will it help students learn reading, writing and arithmetic? No? Then it's a waste of student time and taxpayer money.

The left want to teach everything except the skills to be successful in the real world. It's why they rack up student loan debt and can't find a good enough job to pay them off. But at least they'll know it's ok to feel different.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geez, 15 pages within a day, you guys should stop giving those people attention, because that's the only thing they try to achieve.

They claim to want to discuss a topic, but alas fail at the very task of being able to discuss things.
They state their opinion and bash everyone that disagrees with them, calling you fascist/bigot/transphobe and so many other fancy words they can come up with.
Just to then circlejerk with their fellow flag-waving peers about how bad the whole humanity is except their little clique.

It's devestating to see that in the past years since ~2016, a small minority of the worldwide population tries to tell the rest what to say and how to think, trying to overthrow concepts and language that the rest used for god knows how long, literally behaving like the fascists they make others out to be.
And in the end, they twist your words into something that they can use against you to justify their opinion. But hey, the others are the Nazis here, right?

To conclude this, I shall give you an anecdote which you are free to believe or not:
I hooked up with a MTF person once and even she (wow look at me using proper pronouns) was fed up and disgusted with the rainbow circus, saying that they only want attention while the rest like her actually wants to be left alone.
I think that says a lot about this alphabet community when it comes from someone they would consider one of their own.

PS: I am bisexual myself, but you don't see me rubbing it into everyones faces with a profile picture, custom title, signature or just in any conversation I chime myself into, I also don't want to have anything to do with the flag-waving fanatics.

PSS and EDIT: Please, react with all the laughing emojis you got, I feed on your desperation, your tears are my lube.
i assume that profile picture thing is directed at me.. i dont see anything wrong with my silly little pfp

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i assume that profile picture thing is directed at me.. i dont see anything wrong with my silly little pfp
They're just upset because we don't hate ourselves for who we are and choose to be proud of it and embrace it instead of trying to cover it up and hide it. Very common among bigots, people who feel empowered make them feel scared or upset because their misinformed/misinformative arguments will fall on deaf ears.

Some people are bigots because they hate others who are different than them, others because they hate themselves for being different and try to deny it, hide it, or make it seem less significant.

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A pity. You will never, ever get allies this way.

Remember that you don't need to win people over who already agree with you. You're too bigoted to even try to reach across to the other side. That's not on me.

I'll be here.
Such an incredible false front there.... acting so confident and self-assured, yet so incredibly ignorant. Projects bigotry on others instead of looking at the science and seeing the darkness, denial, and intolerance, within.

Backfire effect is extremely common, and well on display here. From what I've read, I see very little possibility of evidence or rational argument changing your views, making any further discourse little more than an exercise in frustration, like talking to a wall. Almost zero introspection going on.

Learn something about science, then come back with an informed view: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/stop-using-phony-science-to-justify-transphobia/

Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're just upset because we don't hate ourselves for who we are and choose to be proud of it and embrace it instead of trying to cover it up and hide it. Very common among bigots, people who feel empowered make them feel scared or upset because their misinformed/misinformative arguments will fall on deaf ears.

Some people are bigots because they hate others who are different than them, others because they hate themselves for being different and try to deny it, hide it, or make it seem less significant.
Why would anyone want you to hate yourself? I think you're speaking out of your.. neck. You can have good taste and tact. I'm all for boobs but I don't want topless women running around everywhere. Why can't you maintain and save it for the appropriate venue? You don't have a right to tell parents when it's reasonable to teach confusing sexuality ideas. They are not your kids. This thread has proven that you are all confused. Can't define simple things. Can't put logic first. Can't understand that it's not your call how to raise a minor. I am glad you're passionate people, sometimes you get emotional and totally lose it. You need to back it up a bit with kids. You want them to have safe spaces? Let them be, they're kids.
I believe it is important to teach kids about how people can be different and in what ways people are different, not just because it helps them have more respect for people who are different in those ways but it can also help them better understand themselves if they are too. Many people who are gay or trans feel confused or like something is wrong with them because they never learned about it but if they are taught this stuff they might be able to discover themselves easier.

No one is going to stop being gay or trans because they feel wrong about themself, it's not something people can choose (no matter what bigots think). They can force themselves to try and act like they aren't for others but it's not going to make it not so and is just going to make them feel bad.
Also people who are straight can't be turned gay, anyone claiming otherwise is just peddling bigoted misinformation. What bigots are really scared of is that people who are gay will understand what they are and stop feeling bad about themselves.
How young to teach sexuality? That's the question. High school. That's real world prep time. Leave children alone.

People CAN be influenced. Ƙids will do anything to belong. We shouldn't teach babies to grow up so fast. Some will, let the others move at their own pace. Wth is wrong with that?

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This should really be common sense, but sadly, no....

Fact 1: LGBTQ+ people exist, and have probably existed as long as the human species.
Fact 2: LGBTQ+ children exist, and have probably existed as long as the human species.

Anyone who denies either of these two facts is denying reality. Thus, there is little point engaging further with such individuals until/unless they accept these facts, as they are living in denial.

Fact 3: An educational environment which allows gender and sexually diverse kids to be free from bullying and violence helps to positively facilitate their wellbeing and development into responsible, caring, adults.

Fact 4: An educational environment which denies gender and sexually diverse kids protection from bullying and violence, and refuses to acknowledge their genuine identities serves to negatively impact their mental health, is linked with higher rates of suicide and self-harm, and seriously impedes their development into responsible, caring, adults.

Given these facts, common sense suggests supporting inclusive educational environments.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A pity. You will never, ever get allies this way.

Remember that you don't need to win people over who already agree with you. You're too bigoted to even try to reach across to the other side. That's not on me.

I'll be here.
There's no reason to reach out and extend an olive branch to the other side when they're bigots, Nazis, MAGAs (why differentiate at this point?) etc

Will it help students learn reading, writing and arithmetic? No? Then it's a waste of student time and taxpayer money.

The left want to teach everything except the skills to be successful in the real world. It's why they rack up student loan debt and can't find a good enough job to pay them off. But at least they'll know it's ok to feel different.
It's you dumbass MAGAs that always need bailing out. Look how red states need to take the most. Pretty sick of us left wingers continuing to have to subsidize you lot.

https://www.moneygeek.com/living/states-most-reliant-federal-government/

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Yet I'm sure you still think health class is important AKA Teaching them the cishetero normative side.

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another point is that people who focus on the language, on definitions, etc... aren't being intellectually honest. This whole "a transman is a woman" line of argument isn't about some sort of respect for "correct" language use (Words have definite meanings, bro! Biology is binary, bro!). The language issue is BS, a distraction, a red herring, a propaganda strategy designed to deflect you from their real agenda. What these people are really talking about is that they refuse to acknowledge and respect people who are transgender; they refuse to accept and normalize what is obviously, scientifically, factual. It's a denial of reality, a justification of intolerance and bigotry, falsely framed as merely a linguistics issue.

Reactions: KingVamp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izAMt9iehrE