• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

opinions on teaching about lgbtq+ in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The statistics of suicidality in those who identify as the opposite gender, AFTER "gender-affirming therapy" are still at around 40%, from the last time I looked.

There is co-morbidity between gender dysphoria and suicidality. The surgery, even when "successful", absolutely does NOT move the needle on the underlying mental illness that is gender dysphoria/body dysmorphia.

I think a huge part about this is based on how each individual FEELS, and whether or not they feel validated. I've seen thousands and thousands of examples of post-op individuals who absolutely do not even slightly resemble the gender they were aiming for, which is absolutely no surprise, and that doesn't exactly help them after they spent tens of thousands of dollars on irreparably mutilating their bodies.

The few who can afford it who suffer that experience and want to "go back" have told myriad horror stories about their entire journey, and the recurring theme is the same.

Self-loathing, isolation, a sense of disconnectedness and a heightened desire to unalive onesself.

I don't think these patterns are coincidences.

I do not believe the treatment for gender dysphoria is either societal enabling or harmful surgical and hormone treatments. There has to be a better way to stop people with this mental illness from hurting themselves, in one way or another.

If you really cared about them, you would try to heal them, not be an enabler.

Gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia are less than a hop away. Fuck a skip and a jump. If you had a friend who TRULY TRULY believes that he was born in the wrong body because he had two arms, when he should have been born with one, would you support his efforts to chop off a healthy arm? So he could be on the outside what he FELT like inside?

Answer that honestly, folks. Would you let a friend become a permanent and irreversible amputee because his body dysmorphia told him to sever a limb?

With that answer in mind, please explain to me what the difference is. I'd love to learn more.

• Haha
Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Transition related surgeries actually have lower regret rates than virtually any other major surgical procedure. It's a really interesting thing. Hip replacement surgery, for a common example, has a dramatically higher regret rate.
I am quite aware, which is why I think it's silly to bring up these issues as if they are widespread. Equally silly to bring them when there's definitely something to learn about them. What went wrong? What factors were overlooked? Were there social issues? These are some questions that can be asked to better the medical system and help prevent future issues. The fact that they are rarely considered really has done more harm than good.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair it's very hard to say ultimately how many people will desist when you consider how relatively new transition, gender acceptance, gender affirming care are etc

we will have to wait a few decades to really know the whole picture in that regard

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
To be fair it's very hard to say ultimately how many people will desist when you consider how relatively new transition, gender acceptance, gender affirming care are etc

we will have to wait a few decades to really know the whole picture in that regard
That goalpost moves a lot. Transition isn't new. Sex reassignment is nearing a hundred years now.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That goalpost moves a lot. Transition isn't new. Sex reassignment is nearing a hundred years now.
buddy why don't you please take a look at the sheer number of people transitioning now vs even only 10 years ago

it's ridiculous to pretend this isn't a new and evolving field

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

This I can agree with as although the history of trans care and trans lifestyle is extremely old, the more recent medical system is really roughly between 100 to 70 years old, give or take.
Well, that's actually why it's considered "too soon to tell" when you consider how small of a population you are pulling from. Despite the more modern system being about 100 years old, it might as well be 30 to 40 when you consider scaling.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trans is the new gay.

Hate me for saying it. I am ready for it. Dead ass.
I wasn't arguing with you hours ago, and I'm not agreeing with you on anything ever. I think you're kinda... Lol.
You obviously reacted to half of my posts, and read what I said. Don't play. You should be better than that.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The field isn't new. It's growing because there's less stigma than ever. "New" means it wasn't a thing until recently.
no it's a new and emerging field in medicine because medication, treatments etc are improving

consider until relatively recently it was very niche, and mostly relegated to endocrinologists

now even PCPs, infectious disease doctors are providing gender affirming care

the scale is like never before, from someone in medicine I have seen a really big change even in the past 5 years alone

• Love
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear that more people than ever are feeling safe and comfortable enough to do these things. I already knew that, and basically said that myself lol.
my point tho is with this expansion like never before we have no clue what the future holds

no way to know how many people will desist etc, the population of trans patients has clearly changed

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
my point tho is with this expansion like never before we have no clue what the future holds

no way to know how many people will desist etc, the population of trans patients has clearly changed
I stand by what I said. We can't punish all trans people because a few might "get it wrong". I have nothing more to debate here.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you move from R to L on this graph, and include more trans people (true positives), you will inevitably take up more false positives too (desisters)

1695349424261.png

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The field isn't new. It's growing because there's less stigma than ever. "New" means it wasn't a thing until recently.
You do need to consider scaling on this one. Even as a trans person, I must admit the research is extremely lacking, uses small population numbers, and is still under constant review and updating. Recently I had to write a paper on trans-related healthcare for my psychology class. It literally took most of the week just to find accurate papers as many papers from only a few years back were already out of date. This is a sign of what would be considered "new" when talking about medical practices. This doesn't invalidate the medical practice, it just means that information isn't always going to be the most accurate and we still need to conduct more research and wait for the results to come in.

Reactions: x65943

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
As you move from R to L on this graph, and include more trans people (true positives), you will inevitably take up more false positives too (desisters)

View attachment 395254
I'm not worried about quantity. We would have to see a significant percentage increase before I have cause for concern. Quantity increasing is inevitable for the exact reason you've stated. As will be quantity of happy (and not dead) trans people.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not worried about quantity. We would have to see a significant percentage increase before I have cause for concern. Quantity increasing is inevitable for the exact reason you've stated. As will be quantity of happy (and not dead) trans people.
no way to know that we are all throwing darts honestly - could end up that way, remains to be seen

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
You do need to consider scaling on this one. Even as a trans person, I must admit the research is extremely lacking, uses small population numbers, and is still under constant review and updating. Recently I had to write a paper on trans-related healthcare for my psychology class. It literally took most of the week just to find accurate papers as many papers from only a few years back were already out of date. This is a sign of what would be considered "new" when talking about medical practices. This doesn't invalidate the medical practice, it just means that information isn't always going to be the most accurate and we still need to conduct more research and wait for the results to come in.
The word evolving was correct and I never argued with it. The word new is misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1