• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

opinions on teaching about lgbtq+ in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The word evolving was correct and I never argued with it. The word new is misleading.
perhaps it shows more a lack of understanding of medical jargon for you?

I mean in some sense you could say there was never a new field of medicine if you look at it that way

you know psychiatry and neurology were the same field only a few decades ago - so "neurology" became a new field

Of course no one is saying brains didn't exist before that split

The thing is once something becomes a new sort of specialty or large area of medical research it becomes a new field

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dude they/them has been used as a singular for like 600+ years. Stop being braindead.
It's just motivated reasoning. These people like to say "but language defines", "but tradition says", "but genetics defines", "but nature defines" etc..., when really all that is an attempted distraction from their internal bigotry. If they were honest, they would just say, "Hey, to be perfectly honest, deep down I'm actually a transphobe (and/or homophobe), but I make up these various rationalizations why I won't admit that, because it protects my ego. And no, I'm not really interested in learning about the science, or about these people's actual experience, especially if science or other evidence refutes my dogmatic position. Besides, this way I get to call the other side bigots and feel superior! Winning!!!".

• Haha
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just motivated reasoning. These people like to say "but language defines", "but tradition says", "but genetics defines", "but nature defines" etc..., when really all that is an attempted distraction from their internal bigotry. If they were honest, they would just say, "Hey, to be perfectly honest, deep down I'm actually a transphobe (and/or homophobe), but I make up these various rationalizations why I won't admit that, because it protects my ego. And no, I'm not really interested in learning about the science, or about these people's actual experience, especially if science or other evidence refutes my dogmatic position. Besides, this way I get to call the other side bigots and feel superior! Winning!!!".
So, are you going to tell your buddy with body dysmorphia that, yes, he SHOULD cut off his arm so that his body on the outside FEELS like his body on the inside? Is that a swell idea for you?

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the truth of human nature is most people are seeking rationalization for their already deeply held illogical beliefs that came from upbringing, experiences, culture etc

Sure you can rationalize anything, but most of the time it's obvious the true reasons people hold certain beliefs

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
The thing is once something becomes a new sort of specialty or large area of medical research it becomes a new field
My point was that trans medicine isn't a new field. Growing, yes. New, no. Nazis burned books about trans-related healthcare in the 1930s. "New" is a bad way to describe that gives hateful people ammo against it. They still argue that trans people just started existing, or the worst of them that trans people DON'T exist. Feeding them by telling them "this is all new" helps nobody. If it's medical jargon, fine, but the layperson isn't going to take it to mean what you're describing here without full context anyway.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The word evolving was correct and I never argued with it. The word new is misleading.
I am sorry but this is like arguing "theory" in the sense of the common term versus the scientific term. "New" in medicine doesn't mean that it happened recently, it means that the research is constantly changing, results are not yet conclusive, and we still need to conduct more research. Research into the flu shot wouldn't be considered "new" as we have had enough time to determine all of the side effects, formulas, and so on, so it's not considered "new" research. This is despite the fact that the flu shot was invented in 1942, way after early modern trans research started in the early 1900s. "New" in medicine isn't about age, it's about the depth of knowledge, documentation, and research available.
My point was that trans medicine isn't a new field. Growing, yes. New, no. Nazis burned books about trans-related healthcare in the 1930s. "New" is a bad way to describe that gives hateful people ammo against it. They still argue that trans people just started existing, or the worst of them that trans people DON'T exist. Feeding them by telling them "this is all new" helps nobody. If it's medical jargon, fine, but the layperson isn't going to take it to mean what you're describing here without full context anyway.
Just because transphobes are misusing medical terms doesn't change anything. This is like saying "gravity isn't real because it's just a theory." Which is a clear misunderstanding of the term "theory." The same can be applied here with "new."

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not saying trans people are new, but that the field is new and honestly in its infancy if we are all being honest with ourselves

to catboy's point the amount of peer reviewed research etc is still lacking - and at the end of the day we need large data to make truly evidence based decisions

to say the field of gender affirming care is wholly evidence based is to lie - simply (like many fields of medicine) you start from the basic science, make interventions, study outcomes, and guide further therapy for future generations based on what you learn

to a large extent we are still in the learning phase and it's dishonest to say otherwise

Reactions: The Catboy

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry but this is like arguing "theory" in the sense of the common term versus the scientific term. "New" in medicine doesn't mean that it happened recently, it means that the research is constantly changing, results are not yet conclusive, and we still need to conduct more research. Research into the flu shot wouldn't be considered "new" as we have had enough time to determine all of the side effects, formulas, and so on, so it's not considered "new" research. This is despite the fact that the flu shot was invented in 1942, way after early modern trans research started in the early 1900s. "New" in medicine isn't about age, it's about the depth of knowledge, documentation, and research available.
If it's medical jargon, fine, but the layperson isn't going to take it to mean what you're describing here without full context anyway.
Post automatically merged:

Anyway, I stand by everything I've said here, but I've made my points and I'm done. These kind of debates are pointless and just make my head hurt. Bye.

Protect trans kids. ♥

Reactions: RetroGen

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, here's where you are going WAAAY past 'equal treatment' to 'privileged' or 'special treatment'.

You are actually trying to control people's language, their definitions of terms, their belief structure, their knowledge of anatomical and chromosomal biology, AND their behavior, all at once. And there are no terms you will accept other than "Agree with me, or you are a transphobe".

And you don't even GET IT when someone tells you that you are doing this, straight to your face.

You DON'T want "equal treatment" or "to feel safe". You want to control others. And that's why you're getting this much pushback from people. You can try to deny it, but your own words and actions betray you.

There are bigots on both sides, certainly. Some just want to be left alone (which is MOST OF FUCKING AMERICA). Some want extra, special attention. And this is just another manifestation of that.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
See, here's where you are going WAAAY past 'equal treatment' to 'privileged' or 'special treatment'.

You are actually trying to control people's language, their definitions of terms, their belief structure, their knowledge of anatomical and chromosomal biology, AND their behavior, all at once. And there are no terms you will accept other than "Agree with me, or you are a transphobe".

And you don't even GET IT when someone tells you that you are doing this, straight to your face.

You DON'T want "equal treatment" or "to feel safe". You want to control others. And that's why you're getting this much pushback from people. You can try to deny it, but your own words and actions betray you.

There are bigots on both sides, certainly. Some just want to be left alone (which is MOST OF FUCKING AMERICA). Some want extra, special attention. And this is just another manifestation of that.
I never said anything that would imply any of this and you're putting a lot of words in my mouth for someone who's claiming I'm trying to control what other people say. Not once did I call anyone here a transphobe, even though some people clearly are. Not once did I tell anyone what they can and can't say, even though I said saying things a certain way perpetuates harm.

Stop telling me what I think and worry about what you think.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Now imagine this, you was born as a male a birth. Your parents decide that you don't look right, so they manipulate you and forced you to become a girl for the rest of your life. Dressing you up in girl clothes and made you act as female. Then as you grow older, would you think that your parents were right about this?
Yet unfortunately Intersex people like me are forced to go through that all the time in our modern world, but people think that is okay because they're Intersex.
No one who makes these types of arguments ever considers Intersex people or the fact that this shit happens to us all the time.

I'm one of the lucky ones who escaped being mutilated by being poor, not a good thing either but at least it spared me from the physical pain and others go through (intersex correction surgery often causes pain to people who go through it, sometimes rendering them infertile, it is a barbaric practice that needs to be abolished).

Last edited by Dragon91Nippon,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have to be real with you, people will find any excuse to misuse terms and information. For example, people misuse trans-related statistics on self-harm, often misquoting the suicide rates in so many ways. The biggest misuse is that the actual rate is lower as they are counting the "attempted or considered rate." They also ignore the information as to why the rates of self-harm and suicide attempts are so high by literally doing the thing explained in the very statistics they are misquoting. Simply put, just because a term, information, or anything else can be misused, that doesn't mean it's inappropriate to use them for their intended purpose. Again, this is like asking someone to stop using "theory" when talking about scientific theories. Just because someone doesn't understand the usage of the term, is not my problem and quite honestly shouldn't be anyone else's problem. Let them make fools of themselves for thinking "new" in this sense literally means "recent," and they are just showing their ignorance on the subject.

Last edited by The Catboy,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I have to be real with you, people will find any excuse to misuse terms and information. For example, people misuse trans-related statistics on self-harm, often misquoting the suicide rates in so many ways, the biggest misuse being that the actual rate is lower as they are counting the "attempted or considered rate." They also ignore the information as to why the rates of self-harm and suicide attempts are so high by literally doing the thing explained in the very statistics they are misquoting. Simply put, just because a term, information, or anything else can be misused, that doesn't mean it's inappropriate to use them for their intended purpose. Again, this is like asking someone to stop using "theory" when talking about scientific theories. Just because someone doesn't understand the usage of the term, is not my problem and quite honestly shouldn't be anyone else's problem, let them make fools of themselves for thinking "new" in this sense literally means "recent," they are just showing their ignorance on the subject.
I agree overall. There's a distinction here but I'm done arguing semantics as it's a waste of time.

• Haha
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said anything that would imply any of this and you're putting a lot of words in my mouth for someone who's claiming I'm trying to control what other people say. Not once did I call anyone here a transphobe, even though some people clearly are. Not once did I tell anyone what they can and can't say, even though I said saying things a certain way perpetuates harm.

Stop telling me what I think and worry about what you think.
I'm good on what I think. I'd love to hear a logical and non-emotional argument to make me think otherwise.

Alas, you aren't ready for this. Maybe one day someone will be able to have an adult discussion with me about this topic. That day is not today.

You tried. Toodles.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I agree overall. There's a distinction here but I'm done arguing semantics as it's a waste of time.
That's fine but I am going to continue to use the terms used in the field that I am studying. I see no reason to dumb down my language to accommodate people looking to misuse it. If they misuse the term "new," that's them showing their ignorance and is a sign that they aren't coming at this with an educated opinion on the matter.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
That's fine but I am going to continue to use the terms used in the field that I am studying. I see no reason to dumb down my language to accommodate people looking to misuse it. If they misuse the term "new," that's them showing their ignorance and is a sign that they aren't coming at this with an educated opinion on the matter.
Never asked you to stop, just gave my opinion on what the layperson may believe that to mean (as I've seen it many times).

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Never asked you to stop, just gave my opinion on what the layperson may believe that to mean (as I've seen it many times).
And now you can be reassured that they are clearly demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the terms they are throwing around.

Reactions: x65943

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Geez, 15 pages within a day, you guys should stop giving those people attention, because that's the only thing they try to achieve.

They claim to want to discuss a topic, but alas fail at the very task of being able to discuss things.
They state their opinion and bash everyone that disagrees with them, calling you fascist/bigot/transphobe and so many other fancy words they can come up with.
Just to then circlejerk with their fellow flag-waving peers about how bad the whole humanity is except their little clique.

It's devestating to see that in the past years since ~2016, a small minority of the worldwide population tries to tell the rest what to say and how to think, trying to overthrow concepts and language that the rest used for god knows how long, literally behaving like the fascists they make others out to be.
And in the end, they twist your words into something that they can use against you to justify their opinion. But hey, the others are the Nazis here, right?

To conclude this, I shall give you an anecdote which you are free to believe or not:
I hooked up with a MTF person once and even she (wow look at me using proper pronouns) was fed up and disgusted with the rainbow circus, saying that they only want attention while the rest like her actually wants to be left alone.
I think that says a lot about this alphabet community when it comes from someone they would consider one of their own.

PS: I am bisexual myself, but you don't see me rubbing it into everyones faces with a profile picture, custom title, signature or just in any conversation I chime myself into, I also don't want to have anything to do with the flag-waving fanatics.

PSS and EDIT: Please, react with all the laughing emojis you got, I feed on your desperation, your tears are my lube.

Last edited by HalfScoper,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof