• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

opinions on teaching about lgbtq+ in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up until recently, my sister was a teacher for several years and has dealt with these issues personally. Basically, what she told me is that all teachers want to do is to create a safe space for students to be themselves, and that that includes a tiny bit of discussion to bring about awareness of sexual and gender diversity. She never taught kids how to be gay or trans or furry or use litter boxes or anything of the sort. Most of what's going around on rightwing social media is disinformation and nonsense, not at all based on reality.

Further, to the OP, I hope you don't get too discouraged by the responses here. Keep flying your flag!

There's a whole lot of anti-LGBTQ+ propaganda being pushed in rightwing social media at the moment and you're seeing the result of a coordinated, well-funded, disinformation campaign designed to stoke social division and shore up rightwing political support under the false guise of "parental rights" and "child abuse". But it isn't actually about those issues. It's about driving a political wedge via fear, hatred, and division.
i didnt even think this thread would get this much traction, hence why my responses to many things are lackluster and repetative, but your sister seems like she was a good teacher

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what does my age have to do with my sexuality? Are you saying that just because im not over 18 that I was "brainwashed"? your logic is flawed

Post automatically merged:

trans women are women and trans men are men.
Just so it's been put into words at least once in here, when people start to talk down to you you can just move on and ignore them. Plenty of people in this forum don't actually want to engage and instead just pull a random opinion card from their deck of default responses, post it, and then when pressed pull the next card.
You're not going to get actual answers from people that just go and tell you you're brainwashed, because the point isn't to have a dialog, the point is to exhaust and overwhelm you.
It's a very effective technique and one you'll have to get familiar with, it's also often used as part of propaganda campaigns for various purposes.
As such, if you have to spend an undue amount of time asking and get nothing of substance back, discard what they say and move on. If it still intrigues you you could try having a search elsewhere about some of the points they've raised, or better yet ask one of the adults in your life that you trust to give you the down low on whatever the hell they've said. Particularly if they're internet savy they can probably explain wtf is going on.

For this particular topic, the "brainwashing" is part of an ongoing culture war the alt-right in the US is having with everyone else, where sex education and any talk about gender identity is being labelled as grooming to force people to think that everything relating to LGBTQIA+ topics is inherently of sexual and predatory nature. This is simply a ploy to stigmatize all related movements and topics and negatively taint all discussions and topics of it, making it an easier enemy to gain votes on for various elections.
You likely won't have this as a topic in school but similar shit has happened over here in Germany where the nazi party hunted down queer people for existing, burned all research on sexuality at our largest university and research institution for sexuality (link), and then ultimately put a lot of queer people right into concentration camps together with the other undesirables like Jews, Roma, Sinti, autists, and basically anyone else that wasn't aryan.

If you want to have a more in-depth primer I would tentatively suggest giving a watch to Some More News recent video about that same topic: "Who Are The Real "Groomers"?". which is effectively a vlog working through that entire topic. However it's aimed at millenials, the jokes are crass, the host is bearded, and it's rather dense, depressing, and long due to the topic.

And now I wait for the usual suspects to throw the usual tantrums about the "bad" word I used above.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
i didnt even think this thread would get this much traction, hence why my responses to many things are lackluster and repetative, but your sister seems like she was a good teacher
It's because it's a divisive topic among some people since we see more and more as the lgbtq+ tries to push it's agenda onto everything, it gets to a point where you ask yourself: when is it too much?
Some of just want things to stay simple, like a woman is a woman, a trans woman is a trans woman or a dude but never a woman for example. Nowadays people speak too much about it and they show so much on the news and places that it gets tiresome at some point. So yeah, it was logical it would get so much traction

Reactions: mrdude

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so it's been put into words at least once in here, when people start to talk down to you you can just move on and ignore them. Plenty of people in this forum don't actually want to engage and instead just pull a random opinion card from their deck of default responses, post it, and then when pressed pull the next card.
You're not going to get actual answers from people that just go and tell you you're brainwashed, because the point isn't to have a dialog, the point is to exhaust and overwhelm you.
It's a very effective technique and one you'll have to get familiar with, it's also often used as part of propaganda campaigns for various purposes.
As such, if you have to spend an undue amount of time asking and get nothing of substance back, discard what they say and move on. If it still intrigues you you could try having a search elsewhere about some of the points they've raised, or better yet ask one of the adults in your life that you trust to give you the down low on whatever the hell they've said. Particularly if they're internet savy they can probably explain wtf is going on.

For this particular topic, the "brainwashing" is part of an ongoing culture war the alt-right in the US is having with everyone else, where sex education and any talk about gender identity is being labelled as grooming to force people to think that everything relating to LGBTQIA+ topics is inherently of sexual and predatory nature. This is simply a ploy to stigmatize all related movements and topics and negatively taint all discussions and topics of it, making it an easier enemy to gain votes on for various elections.
You likely won't have this as a topic in school but similar shit has happened over here in Germany where the nazi party hunted down queer people for existing, burned all research on sexuality at our largest university and research institution for sexuality (link), and then ultimately put a lot of queer people right into concentration camps together with the other undesirables like Jews, Roma, Sinti, autists, and basically anyone else that wasn't aryan.

If you want to have a more in-depth primer I would tentatively suggest giving a watch to Some More News recent video about that same topic: "Who Are The Real "Groomers"?". which is effectively a vlog working through that entire topic. However it's aimed at millenials, the jokes are crass, the host is bearded, and it's rather dense, depressing, and long due to the topic.

And now I wait for the usual suspects to throw the usual tantrums about the "bad" word I used above.

i dont understand why members of the lgbtqia+ community sometimes get linked in with bad people like groomers or predators

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A nationwide anti-LGBTQ+, falsely-labeled "March for Children" is happening in Canada today, with counter-protests across the country. Rightwing groups are pushing their bigoted agenda very hard at the moment, which is why you're getting such a response. They might superficially say "live and let live", but their actions clearly show that their goal is to put anyone who isn't hetero-binary back into the closet and undo decades of social progress. So, you just put yourself in their sights by posting this thread. But please know that not all of us want to drag society back to the Dark Ages.

P.S. The groomer/predator thing is just propaganda, a way to demonize non-hetero-binary people.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont understand why members of the lgbtqia+ community sometimes get linked in with bad people like groomers or predators
It boils down to guilt by association, to stop people from wanting to be part of that group, or support the group, and then target them more easily for harassment due to the negative associations of the terms being used. It's an attack strategy pure and simple.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A nationwide anti-LGBTQ+, falsely-labeled "March for Children" is happening in Canada today, with counter-protests across the country. Rightwing groups are pushing their bigoted agenda very hard at the moment, which is why you're getting such a response. They might superficially say "live and let live", but their actions clearly show that their goal is to put anyone who isn't hetero-binary back into the closet and undo decades of social progress. So, you just put yourself in their sights by posting this thread. But please know that not all of us want to drag society back to the Dark Ages.
Thats terrible.. I really hope nobody on this site went to it. "March for children" teenagers are children, many of us are lgbtq.

It boils down to guilt by association, to stop people from wanting to be part of that group, or support the group, and then target them more easily for harassment due to the negative associations of the terms being used. It's an attack strategy pure and simple.
99% of us are just people wanting to live our lives, sure theres some bad people, but that happens in any group.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
That's because some people want things like they were before so they kinda group them together in order to get rid of them, it's the easiest way unfortunately. Others simply do it because of hate. Sometimes there might be groomers or predators in that group so....there are a lot of reasons (wether good or bad)

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because some people want things like they were before so they kinda group them together in order to get rid of them, it's the easiest way unfortunately. Others simply do it because of hate. Sometimes there might be groomers or predators in that group so....there are a lot of reasons (wether good or bad)
There can be groomers or predators in any group, and the very very very large majority of the lgbtq are NOT groomers or predators, so its dumb they say we are predators or groomers when we are not

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
There can be groomers or predators in any group, and the ver very very large majority of the lgbtq are NOT groomers or predators, so its dumb they say we are predators or groomers when we are not
That's why I said might, because not all of them are. I'm thinking there's also some groomers or predators that try to utilise this lgbtq stuff as a facade, like even if they are not in the lgbtq group they say they are in order to escape punishment (not that it works but they still try) So yeah, it's a sticky topic

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

P.S. The groomer/predator thing is just propaganda, a way to demonize non-hetero-binary people.

It's also projection. Right wingers by far, have significantly higher numbers when it comes to sex related crimes.

1.1k examples: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...n-Sexual-Predators-Abusers-and-Enablers-Pt-45

Note. Not all of the examples involve children but there are a number that are.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, also some people on twitter tried to make "MAP"s. They made the flag simmilar to the trans flag. They want to be a part of the lgbtq, but they arent, they are trying to make us look bad

It's also projection. Right wingers by far, have significantly higher numbers when it comes to sex related crimes.

1.1k examples: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...n-Sexual-Predators-Abusers-and-Enablers-Pt-45

Note. Not all of the examples involve children but there are a number that are.
ah yes and WE are the groomers apparently :rofl:

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There can be groomers or predators in any group, and the ver very very large majority of the lgbtq are NOT groomers or predators, so its dumb they say we are predators or groomers when we are not
True, but it is a very deliberate, coordinated, well-funded, propaganda strategy, not an honest description. If you can get people to associate LGBTQ+ with rape, violence, child abuse, etc... then you are much more likely to be able to stoke hatred against them and use them as a political scapegoat/tool. Sadly, this rightwing propaganda/disinformation campaign has been extremely effective, as evidenced in this forum/thread. These people didn't get their anti-LGBTQ+ opinions out of thin air; rather, they are the result of memes that have been quite intentionally put out there en mass to shape public opinion and generate negative feelings about LGBTQ+ people. It's all quite cynical and disturbing.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but it is a propaganda strategy, not an honest description. If you can get people to associate LGBTQ+ with rape, violence, child abuse, etc... then you are much more likely to be able to stoke hatred against them and use them as a political scapegoat/tool. Sadly, this rightwing propaganda/disinformation campaign has been extremely effective, as evidenced in this forum/thread. These people didn't get their anti-LGBTQ+ opinions out of thin air; rather, they are the result of memes that have been quite intentionally put out there en mass to shape public opinion and generate negative feelings about LGBTQ+ people. It's all quite cynical and disturbing.
Yeah

If you're old enough to learn that straight people fall in love and fuck, you're old enough to learn that gay people fall in love and fuck.
real shit

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
99% of us are just people wanting to live our lives, sure theres some bad people, but that happens in any group.
Correct, but it doesn't matter to the group pushing that narrative. To them anyone that is not part of their exact group is the enemy, and they blame their recent political loses in elections on the "leftie" education in school, so they're trying to get rid of it. They can't attack the movement directly so they invent a target that's easy to defeat and impossible to defend, and attack that instead.

It's hypocrisy and it's on purpose. If they actually cared about kids getting groomed they would all support sex ed for kids, because that has been proven to be incredibly effective at preventing sexual abuse of children. But they want to get rid of that education instead. Unsurprisingly those are also usually the same people that support children being married to adults, or people in positions of power that got there specifically to abuse the power.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
You know? The intelligence on this topic has long since gone. I mean, I have no problem with people doing whathever they strike fancy. I grow up that way, and with no school involved with those topics. You want peace? give peace. If someone or something troubles you, stand up for it or ask for help.

But now, it looks like all of those groups DEMAND attention, not just being accepted. That is the problem.

Since I was a child, there have been gays, lesbians, bisexuals, you name it. One chooses what to believe, what to do, with whom you will be friends. That's it. No more needs to be said. I have a peaceful life thinking this way. I educated my kids like this, too. But look at the news!! Some lgtb groups did this, some lesbians done that, some others have appeared because one word offended them... That kind of thing is what destroyed every intelligent thing to say about this.

I learned and share the knowledge of live and let die, but the lgtb groups don't. So, who is the problematic side here? Society was a bit more calm when all of this topics were less talked about.

I don't want to start a discussion. Just sharing my two cents.

Reactions: HalfScoper

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THe hypocrisy is wild ngl, alot of them say that we support "Maps" (basically just pedophiles). But if anything we are against that, the maps tried to make they flag look like the trans flag, they tried to associate with us.
@RAHelllord (i thought i replied to u but i didnt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays