• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] U.S. Presidential Election 2016

Whom will/would you vote for?

• Laurence Kotlikoff (Independent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Hoefling (America's Party)

• Mike Maturen (American Solidarity Party)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they have a shot

A long shot
McMullin probably has the best shot of the third party candidates, despite being probably 5th in the polls. He has a legitimate chance to win Utah because of the religious vote. If he takes that state and Clinton and Trump split the rest of the electoral votes, congress has to step in and pick a president from the top 3, and by winning Utah, McMullin would qualify. Congress, being Republican controlled, wouldn't pick Clinton. And with all the Republicans that aren't Trump fans, they could collude to select McMullin instead.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
McMullin probably has the best shot of the third party candidates, despite being probably 5th in the polls. He has a legitimate chance to win Utah because of the religious vote. If he takes that state and Clinton and Trump split the rest of the electoral votes, congress has to step in and pick a president from the top 3, and by winning Utah, McMullin would qualify. Congress, being Republican controlled, wouldn't pick Clinton. And with all the Republicans that aren't Trump fans, they could collude to select McMullin instead.
Technically possible, but it isn't going to happen.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks, Nostradamus. Really going out on a limb there.
Let me rub mine a sec...
crystal-ball-Trump-2-504x315.png

Grab the presidency by the pussy! :toot:

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Nostradamus. Really going out on a limb there.
In all seriousness though, the House is very likely in the above situation to either be deadlocked or vote for Trump. McMullin is a toxic pick after having presumably lost 49/50 states, and it would throw both the Republican Party and the country into chaos electing a president who 95-99% of people didn't vote for.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if the House deadlocks all the way to Inauguration Day, the vice president picked by the Senate becomes the president. President Mike Pence is a lot less toxic than McMullin and would likely be the preferred outcome for many in the House for numerous reasons. In other words, in the case when nobody gets 270 electoral votes, Pence likely wins.

Last edited by Lacius,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all seriousness though, the House is very likely in the above situation to either be deadlocked or vote for Trump. McMullin is a toxic pick after having presumably lost 49/50 states, and it would throw both the Republican Party and the country into chaos electing a president who 95-99% of people didn't vote for.
Considering the record level of dislike for both of the primary candidates, some level of chaos seems to be inevitable.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pissing off 95-99% of people is different from pissing off roughly 50% of people. Also, see my edit.
Many of these people are voting against a candidate rather than for a candidate, so a scenario in which the person they are voting against does not win could actually result in more happy voters than otherwise. Plus all of the people who abstained from voting because of the options available.

As for your edit, that was a scenario I had not considered. Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see if McMullin does wind up taking Utah, and what impact that has on the election.

Reactions: RevPokemon

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically possible, but it isn't going to happen.
The issue is McMullin also is probably going to turn out like Orman did in 14.

In all seriousness though, the House is very likely in the above situation to either be deadlocked or vote for Trump
Although is Clinton won the popular vote and the amount of electoral votes than I personally feel that she still would have a chance by trying to win over centrist Republicans such as Susan Collins who might would give HRC the nod over Trump but as you said the big problem is that McMullin does not have the people in congress who will fight for him unlike Trump or Clinton. Granted I hate that as everyone knows I hate Trump and Hillary and hate the fact that one of them will win.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, I feel like this whole thing is just to get our mind off of something. I also don't think Huma and her husband are off the hook, esp not her husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...