Gaming [PPOTW] Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

• Yes

Votes: 140 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 303 65.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 22 4.7%

• Total voters

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
TBH It's close enough to just blacking out the service till it should be played so to be honest as long as they unban the day it hits I can understand the move

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think it a wrong or right issue when it comes to banning him until launch. (Just banning him would be a different story.) Maybe they aren't completely ready with live.

Tho the other stuff it a bit too far. I mean what is the point?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's elite dictatorship at the highest, i mean who do these people really think they are? gods? law enforcers? what happens if someone gets a game before release date too? are microsoft going to block their tweets and youtube channel too? so much control, power has really gone to their heads.

Heil Microsoft! Xbox One People, One Nation, One Leader!

Anyway, as long as Microsoft reverses the ban in a timely fashion, I think they're certainly within their right to do this. However, this isn't making them look any better - "If you've got nothing to hide, you should have nothing to fear."

Of course, they really might have nothing to hide, but with all the negative rumors floating about (particularly that the Xbone's OS is severely buggy and crash-prone), shutting out free publicity isn't helping their case.

Reactions: Skelletonike

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Banning Live? Hell yeah, they're completely in their right there if you ask me... Not the greatest PR ever of course (but finding a bug on Live would be even worse). The rest is a bit much though, come on MS things aren't looking too rosy for you at the moment anyway! :lol:

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Maybe it's becouse professionals still have embargo for reviewing xbone and then regular customer gets hands on it early would be unfair for them? They may also have some bugs which they iron out on release update or something which would make them look bad.
It's also microsofts service platform and they can do whatever the bloody hell they like when it's in their TOS and legal.

Reactions: NEP and Nebz

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, its not fair to ban them... If they got it early is not their fault. Even if they unban them when the console officially launches, it still shows their bad attitude towards people who trusted them and gave them their hard earning money in order to support their console...

It isn't the customers problem if Target fucked up though. However, they should have some common sense and not go around gloating on the internet that they got their consoles early.

Reactions: NEP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do idiots always post sensitive material to youtube of all places? There are plenty of video and web hosts located on countries that don't give in to overbearing US copyright "law"

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should be punishing target for the issue. They shouldnt have shipped it early. The players shouldnt get any punishment.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Instead of banning people for being able to access Xbox Live on early-received consoles, wouldn't it make more sense to limit Xbox Live to everyone so only people with permission to access it early could do so?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On this "unfair if they have a head start in multiplayer" thing... I really do not get it and can not hold it as a good justification for this sort of thing.

Maybe it's becouse professionals still have embargo for reviewing xbone and then regular customer gets hands on it early would be unfair for them?

If it was actually an early review that got pulled then I have serious issues with the matter. If it is just plain gameplay or something then I am not inclined to look favourably on it but I can at least see it happen.

elunesgrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see an issue with this at all.

You got your console early due to a screwup by a retailer, so you are prevented from getting an unfair advantage posting things online until everyone else also has it made available.

Reactions: NEP

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no. If you go around posting photos and videos of it 2 weeks before launch, like the guy that sparked this whole discussion did, yes, you should be banned until the console is actually released.

But if you're just minding your own business and playing it in private, I don't see a problem with that.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Am I the only one wondering how those lucky guys were able to download the "day 1" patch? Yes, target shipped out early. But it seems to me that one of the less trivial reasons of having a day 1 patch is to avoid spoiler videos by shop employees. That it was shipped early is target's fault...but that those guys were able to patch & play it already...microsoft has only themselves to blame for that.

And banning an account for sake of avoiding spoilers? I can understand microsoft REQUESTING the removal of youtube videos and tweets. Work something out with the guy(s). They obviously want their console...why make it seem as if they have to be punished for mistakes of others and themselves?

It really doesn't matter that they will unban him closer to launch...it's still a sloppy handling of an (admittedly unexpected) situation.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As long as they really ARE removing the ban by launch. It would be unfair to permanently ban consoles when it's the stores that are to blame for users getting their consoles early.
As there is no reason the Live service even needs to be online yet on the X-Bone since no one is supposed to have the console, and most likely none of your friends would have one even if you did, so it's not a big deal.

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... I was going to make an intelligent and well-thought out comment, but...
FLAME WAR!
I disagree with everyone, and my opinion is correct.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE