Gaming [PPOTW] Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

• Yes

Votes: 140 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 303 65.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 22 4.7%

• Total voters

neoxdonut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought they un-banned him and Major Nelson invited him to an exclusive Xbox One launch Party.

BBmIw9q.png

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QFT really, they are going to remove it, no harm done really.
The temporary "ban" might not be the problem but the censorship sure is.

That and its also bad PR for Microsoft for treating their fans poorly for doing nothing harmful by any degree.

yagami69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My choice is Other, they are banning temporally just to not get stuff leaked, the ban is a rude way to restrict the access but they actually are responding good with the banned ppl they find

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually no.
If they would throw all of their servers online at Launchday and have bugs/serious issues then noone could connect/connect properly.
They throw their servers online weeks before launchday to stress test them and make sure their bug free.

Obviously, if the servers would be bugged then people will start suing MS cause they can't use their console at launchday cause of the needed update.
Can't say it happened before but, knowing Americans... they would.

Which is why I said "or give them a password" as a second option. You know, so that only people who they think are supposed to have consoles actually get onto the services.

There's absolutely no excuse to punish someone for getting onto a service when that service is not protected from access by unqualified people.
If you want to stresstest your service and at the same time you don't want accidental owners of early consoles to get onto the service, fucking protect it - it's that simple.

Also, the ~100 people they mentioned being online are not exactly "stress testing" for a system built to support hundreds of thousands of users at once.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seeing what things developers can lose...
I don't think a password would be a good idea...

Ofcourse, the banning is a bit harsh, but still.
They could get an unfair advantage over others, and that's something what MS wants to prevent.

Dev consoles always have more options then consumer consoles.
Dev consoles or stresskits or whatever kits MS has to ping thousands of requests to the servers could be testing things.
That + it could also be consoles logging data for updates/title updates/various app downloads etc etc.
Making sure there aren't any flaws/glitches in the entire system.
It doesn't have to be machines just sending requests.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on what grounds...?

None... most people don't have any clues how actual laws work. Oh.. He could sue... but it would be tossed out of court almost instantly and he'd be left with serious legal fees.. *if all the lawyers he went to first didn't laugh in his face*.

Microsoft has a right to deny you service just because they don't like your name.... Having the Xbone early does not mean they have to give you access to any other paid services.

jayjay123

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a PR stunt from MS... it generates pages of discussions on forums around the world. They know full well gamers aren't going to care about the politics when they are hungry for something new. This just increases the appetite.

Reactions: Gahars

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should those who get their console early before everyone else should be banned? No.

Although... I think these companies should lock-down their services before actual release and only ban those who cheat on-line.

jayjay123

Trophies
XP
Country
To be fair, I think they have to be online to test - there are probably a handful of employees using them from home already.

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a PR stunt from MS... it generates pages of discussions on forums around the world. They know full well gamers aren't going to care about the politics when they are hungry for something new. This just increases the appetite.

This isn't a PR stunt. It's the same with when people got Grand Theft Auto V early and started uploading footage and getting banned. This is a huge release that millions of people are excited for. For some, including Microsoft, it's like spoiling the end of a movie.

There's no harm in banning him from Xbox LIVE ONLY until the release date. He still gets to play his Xbox One at the same time as everybody else.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the biggest company in the earth. Think they haven't tested everything behind closed doors already ?
I see your point but it's a bit naive

For a system as spread out and integrated as xbox live... I would actually be half surprised if they had tested it "fully", no doubt they tested it with tests cooked up by some serious network engineering types but the fully mirrored and such thing is probably out of their grasp. Similarly Xbone launch will probably be one of the biggest network stress tests ever done, if the XBL team wrote up a whitepaper on the matter it would probably be one of the three whitepapers a year I will read.

Reactions: NEP and Satangel

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it hilarious that everybody on the Internet (gbatempers included) totally sided with Nintendo when they went around taking pictures of Pokémon X and Y down before the game came out, but now that Microsoft is doing the same thing everyone's bashing Microsoft for it.

But I do agree with banning them from online access until the console is officially released. It gives them an unfair advantage for things like achievements, and so on. Imagine if those people got Call of Duty with their preorders and got all the weapons and fancy jazz (I don't play CoD so I don't know how it works :P), then the day 1 crowd went on online lobbies, only to get annihilated by the few folks who got it early.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it hilarious that everybody on the Internet (gbatempers included) totally sided with Nintendo when they went around taking pictures of Pokémon X and Y down before the game came out, but now that Microsoft is doing the same thing everyone's bashing Microsoft for it.

I must have missed the pokemon stuff.... I shall have to wade into them more often.

However as it is somewhat relevant here http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo...outube-videos-featuring-their-product.347986/

But I do agree with banning them from online access until the console is officially released. It gives them an unfair advantage for things like achievements, and so on. Imagine if those people got Call of Duty with their preorders and got all the weapons and fancy jazz (I don't play CoD so I don't know how it works :P), then the day 1 crowd went on online lobbies, only to get annihilated by the few folks who got it early.

Maybe it is just that I view the trophments system with something bordering on disdain but I really do not get that sentiment.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, certain stores in Canada and Italy were selling Pokémon X and Y over a week before their global release date. People obviously bought them and rushed through the game, taking pictures of all the generation 6 creatures and posting them on blogs, etc. Nintendo followed suit and tried to get them all removed.

There were even rumors starting that all those copies were intentional fake copies that Nintendo released as a social experiment. Obviously that was a load of crap and people were just butt-hurt at how obnoxious the new characters are :P (I've been a long-time Pokémon fan but really can't find any f's to give about gen 6)

The second part was really two thoughts mixed into one. Getting achievements early (not as big of a deal, but still unfair to those who wait), and leveling up your stats so you have an unfair advantage over others (a bigger deal, IMO)

I'm thinking games like Halo where the more you play campaign, the better you are online. So if people are playing it early, and were allowed to go online, they'd have a really unfair advantage over others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM