Gaming [PPOTW] Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

• Yes

Votes: 140 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 303 65.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 22 4.7%

• Total voters

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, this is not right.

At least they said some shit about removing the ban at release, which should bring a sigh of relief to that guy, but it's definitely wrong to punish someone who, by accident (someone else's mistake even), aquired a product early.

The very thought of banning someone who's online early, even if it was intentional, is stupid. If their online services aren't supposed to be publicly available yet, then take them offline or give them a password or something until launch day.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We as a society are rushing into a market where we no longer "own" the content or things we buy. Just rent indefinitely.
We waive alot of our rights when we hit those "STFU and just let me play" buttons on those terms of service.

I'm sure the guy that got banned was violating Microsoft's "ToS of fucking you over" in some way.

KasaiWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Microsoft have done too damn much with this console of theirs. They think they can do anything they want with it and nobody has to say a thing about it and this just proves it. Remember the sharing thing, remember the disks being used to install only? Well I do and this is why I decided from day one not to buy the console. Microsoft are no better than Capcom with their scheming, so PS4 for me thanks.

PS. I wouldn't trust Microsoft, if they can do this much shit. What's to stop them from pulling other shit after the console has launched.

I love how many people didn't read farther than "ban early xbone" before making a post saying how its unfair and they should just not let him use it till launch. THEY SAID THEY WILL UNBAN HIM CLOSER TO LAUNCH!!
I read that far and I still think it's unfair of them to do it. Microsoft should NOT have that power over anyone, and need I remind you that they have banned people unfairly before.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not "harsh" at all, it isn't a real ban. They're just stopping him from using it online until he's supposed to be allowed to use it. Target fucked up and now they're damage controlling.

Their servers might not even be ready yet, or might only be being used by testers.

Reactions: NEP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The guy didn't get banned from xbox live for having an xbox one early. He was banned because he was making videos and posting tweets about the xbox one before the media had a chance to post their reviews, and before microsoft got to have their official launch party. Had he kept everything to himself and not gone crazy on the internet, he would be able to play his xbox one right now. But MS had to do what they did to put a halt on his actions. He was leaking way too much premature info to the public. His xbox one will be back to normal after the official launch party. The lesson learned here is that if you are lucky enough to get your hands on a console before the official launch date, don't advertise it and make videos that leak premature info to the public if you plan on being able to enjoy the fact that you got the console early.

Depending upon your underlying meaning I might have to take issue with that
If you meant the media was put in an unfair position then I would have to say that is not how things work, if a given deal and not wishing to sour future relations mean you get to play the company's game then sucks to be you if someone scoops you otherwise.
If instead you meant much the same as many others in the thread and "it was a move MS made, there are reasons but they really need none" then carry on.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumb. I think its dumb.

If M$ allows some people to get a console early, why not just have the servers off till day one? Why ban the player who stumbles into the open play ground?

Of course M$ has the "right" to ban anyone they please, but this is only going to make them look worse. Technically the player did nothing wrong.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
A thought occurs. Barely anyone else has the Xbox One at the moment, right? So even if the servers are up for the new XBone exclusive titles, there's basically nobody to play against online anyway, surely? So banning him from playing games against...nobody. Wow. Harsh. Unless of course it stops him using Xbox Live for 360 games too, in which case Microsoft are being dicks because those older games are unrelated to his acquisition of the Xbone.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His console will be unbanned closer to the release date. He's already spoken to majornelson who also invited him to the Xbox one Launch party. Problem solved. His unboxing video is also back up.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If their online services aren't supposed to be publicly available yet, then take them offline or give them a password or something until launch day.

Actually no.
If they would throw all of their servers online at Launchday and have bugs/serious issues then noone could connect/connect properly.
They throw their servers online weeks before launchday to stress test them and make sure their bug free.

Obviously, if the servers would be bugged then people will start suing MS cause they can't use their console at launchday cause of the needed update.
Can't say it happened before but, knowing Americans... they would.

mr allen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how there are people on here saying that Microsoft should just have the servers turned off instead of banning him because there is a difference from not being able to use live and not being able to use live.

jayjay123

Trophies
XP
Country
MS can do what they want - it's their system. If bad publicity makes them tick, then who am I to argue lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8