Gaming [PPOTW] Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

Is Microsoft right to ban early XBone Players?

• Yes

Votes: 140 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 303 65.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 22 4.7%

• Total voters

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was a permaban, yes that would be harsh. I don't see why they shouldn't ban him from Xbox Live just until everyone else gets their console too. I don't think they should have taken down the Youtube videos (and I don't think Google should have let them, he's not violating copyright any more than someone wearing brand shoes are) but Microsoft has a right to deny services to him.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I'm concerned if they've paid in full for whatever they have, it's their property, they should be able to do whatever the fudge they want with it. It's a purchase, Microsoft, not a rental. You don't own those systems any more, the consumer does. Suck it up and let them have their fun. Learn from your mistakes and don't fuck up a free marketing opportunity by having people post videos of how great your system is (assuming it is) to convince people in the fence. I can only assume you have something to hide. Perhaps afraid that people are revealing major flaws in the system?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. He bought the console, and earned the right to use all the console's features.
As far as I'm concerned if they've paid in full for whatever they have, it's their property, they should be able to do whatever the fudge they want with it.

They can and presumably are. Xbox Live is a service though and as such MS can deny access to anybody they so desire for reasons up to and including "I do not like your face".

Reactions: redact and NEP

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
He doesn't deserve to be banned because he got the Xbone early.

He deserves to be banned, and have his gamer card revoked because he got the Xbone at all!

Ok, all jokes aside... Deleting his video and tweets was bad, but to keep him banned from live until it's out is fair. I mean, he did get a patch to play offline. Maybe the servers aren't quite ready yet... Who knows.

Still. We all know M$ and the way they are. We all saw the Xbone release and we all know they love to have POWER! He should've know better than to get an Xbone AT ALL.

I think we can all agree that M$ is not to be trusted, and for all we know, it's only a matter of time before they re-apply, little by little, their horrible DRM along some half-assed excuse like the snakes they are.

I'm no fanboy, I'm not getting the PS4 either any time soon. The WiiU looks promising (Online gaming and the cloud can go fuck themselves) but I'll still wait a bit. At least I know that if I get a WiiU, I won't be getting "Da clowd" and "One Line activashun" pushed down my throat every freakin' day.

This is just a little reminder that anyone getting an Xbone might just get... *put on sunglasses* Xboned.

Reactions: GHANMI

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
One point I need clarifying. Is the XBone's Xbox Live the same Live as the 360, or is it run on different servers and etc? 'cause if it's that second one, I have to wonder why this is an issue. If the Xbone isn't meant to be available to the general public for another 2 weeks or so, why is its Live service online now anyway for this people to supposedly abuse in Microsoft's eyes? Just switch it off until launch day.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If for no other reason (and there are other reasons) it's wrong to ban early people simply because it's bad PR at a time when they REALLY need good PR.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One point I need clarifying. Is the XBone's Xbox Live the same Live as the 360, or is it run on different servers and etc? 'cause if it's that second one, I have to wonder why this is an issue. If the Xbone isn't meant to be available to the general public for another 2 weeks or so, why is its Live service online now anyway for this people to supposedly abuse in Microsoft's eyes? Just switch it off until launch day.

"same servers" is a bit beyond what xbox live probably is these days and you are likely talking about an entire infrastructure. That said I would be shocked if they were not unifying the services for the 360, the phones/windows 8/online and the Xbone, the original xbox and 360 had serious areas of overlap as well (to the point where the original xbox was holding the 360 back at one point and why it got better just as the original xbox service was shut off). Similarly you do not want to be turning the servers on and discovering there is a killer bug in the setup just as however many millions of people get them home. It may or may not have been an oversight on MS' part to allow such access but maintaining a whitelist could get tricky.

Also though it may not be available to the general public there are likely those in the dev teams ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xbox-One-...Edition-/141108113747?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT ), journalists and other such people with them.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally think they're in the right to ban until launch, they shouldn't have the consoles yet. If it was a permanent ban it would be different but they're only banning them until the time when they should have received them.

If they got the console legitely, there's no reason to ban, at all.

It's like someone walking into EB Games, and getting a copy of Watch_Dogs a month early before launch, and they paid for it. Ubisoft has no right to take that game away or ban the person or anything.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they got the console legitely, there's no reason to ban, at all.

It's like someone walking into EB Games, and getting a copy of Watch_Dogs a month early before launch, and they paid for it. Ubisoft has no right to take that game away or ban the person or anything.

But they'd be totally in the right to, say, keep the multiplayer off limits until launch; that's basically what Microsoft's done here.

The guy can still play the games all he wants, so it's not like they took the console away. It just means that some of the console's services are inaccessible for the time being.

Reactions: NEP

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But they'd be totally in the right to, say, keep the multiplayer off limits until launch; that's basically what Microsoft's done here.

The guy can still play the games all he wants, so it's not like they took the console away. It just means that some of the console's services are inaccessible for the time being.

Ah. Then in that case, yeah. It makes sense. I thought the console itself was locked from doing anything. Although, how can he play games if he can't connect to the net?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. Then in that case, yeah. It makes sense. I thought the console itself was locked from doing anything. Although, how can he play games if he can't connect to the net?

I think he posted the file sizes for all the games, so I believe he downloaded them before he was banned, and the launch patch was already available when he connected so the system's all set up for him to play. If I remember correctly, the patch takes out all the online verification requirements.

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guy didn't get banned from xbox live for having an xbox one early. He was banned because he was making videos and posting tweets about the xbox one before the media had a chance to post their reviews, and before microsoft got to have their official launch party. Had he kept everything to himself and not gone crazy on the internet, he would be able to play his xbox one right now. But MS had to do what they did to put a halt on his actions. He was leaking way too much premature info to the public. His xbox one will be back to normal after the official launch party. The lesson learned here is that if you are lucky enough to get your hands on a console before the official launch date, don't advertise it and make videos that leak premature info to the public if you plan on being able to enjoy the fact that you got the console early.

Reactions: NEP

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was a permaban, yes that would be harsh. I don't see why they shouldn't ban him from Xbox Live just until everyone else gets their console too. I don't think they should have taken down the Youtube videos (and I don't think Google should have let them, he's not violating copyright any more than someone wearing brand shoes are) but Microsoft has a right to deny services to him.
This.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol +1