PS VR2 to launch in February at $549.99

psvr.JPG

The wait is nearly over for PS VR fans as Sony's next-generation VR gaming headset has a release date. In a PlayStation Blog post today, the company announced that the PS VR2 will launch February 22, 2023. The package, which comes with the PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones, will retail at an RRP of $549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY), with pre-orders starting November 15.

box 1.jpg

Sony also provided the pricing for other bundles and accessories as well:
  • PlayStation VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain bundle at $599.99 / €649.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980 (Includes PlayStation Store voucher code for Horizon Call of the Mountain, PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers, and stereo headphones)
  • PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station at $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480 (Players can charge the PS VR2 Sense controller through a simple click-in design, without having to connect to a PS5 console – freeing up the console’s USB ports.)
vr box.jpg dock.jpg

As for software titles, they will be available for pre-orders starting this month. Are there any games you are looking forward to on the system?

:arrow: SOURCE

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It connects via a single USB-C cable to the PS5 front I/O. Backwards compatibility not happening due to a very different setup. Astro Bot for example, uses a virtual Dualsense inside the game - wouldn't work. Games will need to be patched which I guess very few will bother to do or Sony would have mentioned it by now.

I just remember getting blind-sighted when getting the PSVR. I was confused by the extra box and didn't remember hearing about it before pre-ordering it.

Unless the PSVR dropped features as opposed to improving them, I still don't see the limitation in B/W compatibility. You can use PS4 controllers with the PS5.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I'm not going to be overly negative about it, but I can't justify getting that on day one. I'm going to need to wait for 1) more games to become available (and at discount); and 2) for a workaround to come about that lets me use this device in some way, shape, or form on PC.

I'm disappointed that it won't be backwards compatible with PSVR1 titles which sort of shows how bad the industry is getting at game preservation. And I understand why they want to keep it locked in to the PS5 system, but I'm going to patiently wait for some way to use it on PC. I've never owned a VR headset and I do want to get this eventually, but now's clearly not the time.

Edit: Just to clarify, looking just at the specs this thing is a really good set. I'm certain that Sony is selling it at a loss, which is why it's locked to the PS5 ecosystem so that they make money in software. If this somehow becomes compatible with PC (through an unofficial workaround) then It'll almost certainly be worth it... to me.

Reactions: KiiWii and shaunj66

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Not really sure why they aren't making these PC compatible, when they are already bringing their games to PC.
They don’t really have… any games. There might be like 5 noteworthy exclusives and those all happened just because they had to give people any reason to even think about PSVR

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I expected 450€ (or 500), I feel that's why they increased the console's price, because they couldn't sell VR more than the console (but they did it anyway!). instead of making VR cheaper, they decided to make the console more expansive.
600+Game is a little too much for me right now.
I was interested only in horizon so far, for the graphics and to test VR2, but I'll pass until there are more game choices for cheaper. Maybe in a year.

But when they sell a single "classic" PS5 controller for 200$/240€, we can imagine how much are VR controllers? The VR couldn't be cheaper than 600.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: KiiWii

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the Quest 2 was 300 bucks in 2020 and doesn't even need to be hooked up to anything to play games. Sure Facebook was hemorrhaging money from it, but there's been 2 years for tech to innovate and this thing is only really a sidegrade to the quest 2 for wayyyyy more money.

Most people still don't even have a PS5 or have the need to get a PS5 yet 2 years after launch, meaning that you'd have to shell out over a thousand dollars for a console and headset that aint got no games

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. That expensive and it still requires connection to a console that's still barely in stock? Maybe was spoiled by the Quest 2's price (before it went up) but paying more for the headset than the console it connects to sounds crazy

Yep, they're really going to struggle to move units at that price. They'll sell some to die hard, Valve's unit sells, but they are going to come close to PSVR 1/original numbers
Post automatically merged:

Did a quick Google search to make sure but this is one of the most expensive VR headsets coming to the market. Sony really be out here just providing more reasons to jump from Console gaming to PC. PS5 is still a struggle to find, more and more exclusives are being ported to PC, and now one of this expensive VR headset.

With Sony porting their IP to pc now, I can see them porting over the very few VR games they have too.

The few reasons to stay on PS console (if you can tolerate Sony) have disappeared

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don’t really have… any games. There might be like 5 noteworthy exclusives and those all happened just because they had to give people any reason to even think about PSVR
I meant they should just let you play PC games and other software on the PSVR, instead of locking it behind one console.

Last edited by KingVamp,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, this out now with no games or PSVR BC is really stupid..
Can it be used on PC (VR content) though? I assume not.

Alosho

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow. That expensive and it still requires connection to a console that's still barely in stock? Maybe was spoiled by the Quest 2's price (before it went up) but paying more for the headset than the console it connects to sounds crazy
You can't compare PSVR 2 to Quest 2.
It's next-gen VR VS cellphone VR, there is no comparison.

Reactions: Danster75

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't compare PSVR 2 to Quest 2.
It's next-gen VR VS cellphone VR, there is no comparison.
Quest 2 optics wise was way above cellphone

Sure the processor was not great, but you could hook it up to your pc

Reactions: auntnadia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1