Homebrew [RELEASE] Tiramisu Environment | Free CBHC

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
for those who are interested in upgrading from haxchi, you just need to put tiramisu files on SD and run the installer from hbl channel:

Attachments

• tiramisu_installer_upgrade_from_haxchi.zip
    73.7 KB · Views: 57

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Why if I may ask?
I guess... stability? Using a trused launcher? Compatibility?

I dunno, i have no issue with it, it's not like you lose use of the Mii Channel, and if you have a 3DS Rosalina ties the HBL to another app too.

Maschell is developing this either way, he knows better than us.

Maschell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why if I may ask?
1. The channels (HBL and stuff like the retroarch forwarder) have their own exploits embedded that may interfer with Tiramisu and cause unpredictable issues. Its just coincidence that this works at all, which doesn't mean running the channel with Tiramisu doesn't introduce undefined behaviour that could cause crashes etc. Any update of the Exploit chain (e.g. CustomRPXLoader, EnvironmentLoader) could easily break these channels completly. Homebrews shouldn't care about any exploits and especially never run any exploits themselves. It's just really unpredictable
2. Updating them is.. annoying. I am a big fan of having everything on the sd card instead of installing it onto the console. Updating/replacing files on the sd card is muuch eaiser than rolling out new versions of these channels
3. In future environments like Aroma these channel will definitely break but are still installed on the console. So instead of loosing access to the HBL via the Mii Maker (which is kinda expected when removing the HBL_Installer.rpx from the environment) these channel crash your console and you have no idea why.
4. Tiramisu doesn't even allow you to run custom channels. For this you need third party module that I can't control, so it's probably not the greatest idea to rely on them.

tl;dr: Not having any installed channels that rely on specific exploits or even run their own exploits is the much cleaner and more future proof way to go. It'll probably save you a lot of trouble when migrating to aroma
Now I have to ask, what exactly is Aroma? I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread and I can find no info on what it is or does. My assumption is its a full firmware replacement since Tiramisu already offers everything you could want but I'd love someone to chime in with some tangible information.
Aroma is the thing I am actually developing. Tiramisu is just a "quick and dirty" project so people can benefit from the "new" FailST exploit, but otherwise it's more or less the same expierence as CBHC.
Aroma will introduce many new concept that will improve the the user and especially the development expierence of the console. Here a brief overview:
- Implements the Wii U Module System. Currently we only have "one time setup modules" that don't stay in memory. This is required to implement really cool modules
- Each of these Modules can export functions that can be used by other modules, homebrews or plugins (same API a the .rpl of the system). This allows us to share code and abstract things. For example there will be a KernelModule which exposes function to manipulate the kernel with kernel permission. Any homebrew can then use these function without caring about any exploit and stuff. Another example would be the RPXLoadingModule, this exposes functions to easily run homebrew. So instead of hard coding a way to load homebrew inside the Homebrew Launcher, ANY plugin/module/homebrew can easily start a homebrew with like 5 lines of code.
- One of these modules will be the plugin system. This means plugin are directly built in into the environment. When you start up your console, the plugin will be loaded and activated automatically. Currently there are plugins planned for things like always having a ftp server running in the background, sd cafiine, hid to vpad, taking screenshots, sending plugin/homebrews via the network to the console etc.... blabla all the benefits you get with plugins, but this time you can coldboot into them and they even work when running other homebrew.
- The Homebrew Launcher won't be support. Homebrews in ".elf" format won't be supported (and never will be, this is a techincal limitation), but instead you can directly launch homebrew from the Wii U Menu. Any homebrew you put in the sd card will directly appear on the Menu and can be launched this way. There will be a also new format for homebrew ".wuhb" which is like a "fake channel" bundled into one file. So beside the "normal" .rpx a .wuhb does also contain meta data (icon, splashscreen etc.) and you can embed all your assets (which will be exposed as /vol/content, just like a real channel), all into one file.
- Some stuff technical stuff like "plugin now have their own heap" etc.
- Plus all the other stuff Tiramisu is already offering (free coldboot, block updates, updates by replacing files on the sd card, modular, etc)
for those who are interested in upgrading from haxchi, you just need to put tiramisu files on SD and run the installer from hbl channel:
It looks like this is just the PayloadLoaderPayload inside the apps folder? I wouldn't recommend it. This payload is designed to run on a clean system. If it works, it's pure luck. The "offical way" to run it is via a "payload.elf"-loader, any other methods may lead to undefined behaviour and are not recommended.

pivix

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Impossible so far. Controllers sync to the console as pro controllers by using bluetooths. The gamepad uses another protocol (a modified version of Wifi 5 Ghz, i think)
So maybe, some kind of remote control from mobile phone via wifi?

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Lite using Tapatalk

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. The channels (HBL and stuff like the retroarch forwarder) have their own exploits embedded that may interfer with Tiramisu and cause unpredictable issues. Its just coincidence that this works at all, which doesn't mean running the channel with Tiramisu doesn't introduce undefined behaviour that could cause crashes etc. Any update of the Exploit chain (e.g. CustomRPXLoader, EnvironmentLoader) could easily break these channels completly. Homebrews shouldn't care about any exploits and especially never run any exploits themselves. It's just really unpredictable
2. Updating them is.. annoying. I am a big fan of having everything on the sd card instead of installing it onto the console. Updating/replacing files on the sd card is muuch eaiser than rolling out new versions of these channels
3. In future environments like Aroma these channel will definitely break but are still installed on the console. So instead of loosing access to the HBL via the Mii Maker (which is kinda expected when removing the HBL_Installer.rpx from the environment) these channel crash your console and you have no idea why.
4. Tiramisu doesn't even allow you to run custom channels. For this you need third party module that I can't control, so it's probably not the greatest idea to rely on them.

tl;dr: Not having any installed channels that rely on specific exploits or even run their own exploits is the much cleaner and more future proof way to go. It'll probably save you a lot of trouble when migrating to aroma

Aroma is the thing I am actually developing. Tiramisu is just a "quick and dirty" project so people can benefit from the "new" FailST exploit, but otherwise it's more or less the same expierence as CBHC.
Aroma will introduce many new concept that will improve the the user and especially the development expierence of the console. Here a brief overview:
- Implements the Wii U Module System. Currently we only have "one time setup modules" that don't stay in memory. This is required to implement really cool modules
- Each of these Modules can export functions that can be used by other modules, homebrews or plugins (same API a the .rpl of the system). This allows us to share code and abstract things. For example there will be a KernelModule which exposes function to manipulate the kernel with kernel permission. Any homebrew can then use these function without caring about any exploit and stuff. Another example would be the RPXLoadingModule, this exposes functions to easily run homebrew. So instead of hard coding a way to load homebrew inside the Homebrew Launcher, ANY plugin/module/homebrew can easily start a homebrew with like 5 lines of code.
- One of these modules will be the plugin system. This means plugin are directly built in into the environment. When you start up your console, the plugin will be loaded and activated automatically. Currently there are plugins planned for things like always having a ftp server running in the background, sd cafiine, hid to vpad, taking screenshots, sending plugin/homebrews via the network to the console etc.... blabla all the benefits you get with plugins, but this time you can coldboot into them and they even work when running other homebrew.
- The Homebrew Launcher won't be support. Homebrews in ".elf" format won't be supported (and never will be, this is a techincal limitation), but instead you can directly launch homebrew from the Wii U Menu. Any homebrew you put in the sd card will directly appear on the Menu and can be launched this way. There will be a also new format for homebrew ".wuhb" which is like a "fake channel" bundled into one file. So beside the "normal" .rpx a .wuhb does also contain meta data (icon, splashscreen etc.) and you can embed all your assets (which will be exposed as /vol/content, just like a real channel), all into one file.
- Plus all the other stuff Tiramisu is already offering (free coldboot, block updates, updates by replacing files on the sd card, modular, etc)

It looks like this is just the PayloadLoaderPayload inside the apps folder? I wouldn't recommend it. This payload is designed to run on a clean system. If it works, it's pure luck. The "offical way" to run it is via a "payload.elf"-loader, any other methods may lead to undefined behaviour and are not recommended.
4. I'm assuming you're referring to that 01_special_payload.rpx?

Tldr ditch custom channels and elf's. But if I do that, how do I run stuff? Which format is supported? Just rpx? Just don't install them as channels?

galostica

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Forgive the newcomer question here but I’ve just installed Tiramisu on my new WiiU (just arrived in the post today in mint condition!) and after following the guide carefully at wiiu.hacks.guide, I can’t launch the Homebrew app. It never loads an interface, just the splash screen.

Whether I launch from holding + on startup or from Mii Maker, I just get this screen with music (same display on gamepad and TV):

6C3ABF6D-05CA-43B9-AB15-0C1C6B34C66C.jpeg

Thoughts?

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I’m finally going to set this up tonight. If I read correctly in previous posts I actually don’t need to uninstall haxchi, if this is true I won’t be uninstalling it since it’s been on my wiiu for years and I’m assuming I won’t need to worry about bricks with this installed and Tiramisu. If I have to worry about bricks with both installed I will actually uninstall haxchi. I never installed cbhc because I always worried about the chance of something going wrong.
Hello,

I'm like you, if in the future I have a problem with my wii U, I will uninstall Haxchi.

Just a little info:

For now I use Tiramisu and a little haxchi (for small tests for myself).
I actually use two SD cards (32gb and 64gb).
SD 32gb ==> install haxchi (a few years ago), then update Tiramisu with this same 32gb SD card. From MII maker I can launch my applications (ftpiiU, disc2app ..... ..) ==> no problem.

SD 64gb ==> copy from the 32gb SD card to 64gb (before updating to Tiramisu), launch of Haxchi ==> I can access all my applications (ftpiiU, disc2app, wii U nand dumper .. ...). ==> no problem.

Reactions: fst312

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
WOW!!!

That sounds super impressive and it sounds like a wasn't far off in my guess, you're essentially replacing the kernel (or at least on the fly patching it) to allow homebrew to run natively and in ring 0.

Any timescale on a release?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Some important ones are, like vWii channel forwarders (such as USBLoader GX), SDCafiine is, the Plugin System is, and I think the vWii overclock app (always forget it's proper name) is too.

.elf is outdated and restricted compared to .rpx though, that's part of what this move is all about it seems. In order to push the limits of what can be done in these environments, it appears that it will be important for .elf to be left behind. My understanding is that Aroma straight up wont load .elf homebrew at all. At least that's what I last heard a few months back from Maschell himself.
While I understand abandoning .elf homebrew is important to move forward, it's not a move I personally agree with, at least not until some of the more important applications have been converted to .rpx. That'll probably keep me from using Aroma, and by extension Tiramisu.
Some changes just don't make sense to me, like why have the HBL as part of the Mii Maker by default when everyone with CBHC has been using a dedicated channel already?

Reactions: ssjkakaroto

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Part of me doesn't see this as a good idea unless we can smash the title limit. Whereas it wouldn't be rationally feasible to reach it with games and apps alone, when you introduce homebrew to the system menu it gets a bit iffy.

This isn't something I'm a fan of personally, I'd rather have it be like Luma3DS where it coldboots from either but SD takes priority. I don't always have an SD Card in my Wii U, and sometimes the reader just refuses to work right (on rare occasions I can't get apps to show up in the Homebrew Launcher), so I probably won't be able to use Tiramisu or Aroma unless this changes.

I'm trying to like Tiramisu and Aroma, really I am, but I think I'll be remaining on CBHC for now. Part of me is still hopeful for a true coldboot solution à la Luma3DS, but I'm doubtful it'll ever come to fruition.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only time I've come across rpx homebrew is an installable channel in installation format (.app, .h3, etc). Do we simply compress that back into an rpx and run it?

Does anybody have a list of rpx homebrew? Mainly a wup installer?

Edit: The only thing I've found is NUSspli. It's available in rpx and even wubh format. It can install games from SD card.

Does anybody have a list of updated rpx homebrew? Or a wiki? It would be extremely helpful. So would a little notice regarding elf files in the OP.

Last edited by OrGoN3,
Reactions: PrincessLillie

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I understand abandoning .elf homebrew is important to move forward, it's not a move I personally agree with, at least not until some of the more important applications have been converted to .rpx. That'll probably keep me from using Aroma, and by extension Tiramisu.
Some changes just don't make sense to me, like why have the HBL as part of the Mii Maker by default when everyone with CBHC has been using a dedicated channel already?
Again, you can totally launch .elf homebrew in Tiramisu. You just need to remove the module from your SD card that launched the homebrew loader when you launch Mii Maker. You can still keep and use the separate homebrew loader channel which is what you want to do anyway.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there is still time to port them I guess? I don't know of many homebrew that still need ports though
What about vWii channel forwarders? This seems to be the one area I'm not seeing any .rpx alternatives now or coming up. It's certainly nice to be able to launch from the Wii U menu into the likes of USBLoader GX.

droople

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi there
Sorry for multiple posts

Just wondering that should I update the tiramisu to follow the nightly and if yes how to update it?

Cheers

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there
Sorry for multiple posts

Just wondering that should I update the tiramisu to follow the nightly and if yes how to update it?

Cheers
Follow wiiu.hacks.guide

If you use CBHC, uninstall it correctly with the installer (otherwise you brick your console). If you use the regular haxchi (without coldboothax), delete the ds vc title in the system settings. After that, follow the guide.

Reactions: kid sampson

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Forgive the newcomer question here but I’ve just installed Tiramisu on my new WiiU (just arrived in the post today in mint condition!) and after following the guide carefully at wiiu.hacks.guide, I can’t launch the Homebrew app. It never loads an interface, just the splash screen.

Whether I launch from holding + on startup or from Mii Maker, I just get this screen with music (same display on gamepad and TV):

View attachment 293401

Thoughts?
you have no homebrew in wiiu/apps directory

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
We have a side project that is created to port all homebrew to rpx some have been done lots haven't but it is something we have been aware of since aroma began.

The general rule in our circles is channels are not the desired method.. but people will create and use them regardless

Reactions: ber71 and lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo