Sony releases official PS VR2 headset and controller teardown videos

ps vr teardown.png

The latest PlayStation hardware, the PS VR2, launches in a week and, in anticipation of its release, Sony has aired two teardown videos of the device. Each respective footage show an exclusive look at the headset and controller's innards and underlying technology as the respective teardown is performed by Takamasa Araki from the Mechanical Design team and Takeshi Igarashi from the Peripheral Design team. The videos start with a prominent "Do not try this at home" disclaimer as they are meant for informational purposes only.

You can view each video below:

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I think Sony made the right decision going for a truly top quality device instead of entry- to midlevel VR for maybe 200 bucks less. Of course I would also have liked a lower price but it's already amazing that the VR2 apparently surpasses top end PCVR headsets costing far more, not forgetting you'll be needing a chunky PC to use it properly costing far, far more then a PS5 and VR2. Sony should be commended for making this possible in a cheap and streamlined, user friendly fashion.
Also, because every PS5/VR2 combo has the same features, developers will be more likely to effecively using or optimizing their games to use these.

Regarding the teardown; it looks very well engineered and I'm impressed. Also a good sign that the cable can be disconnected without too much fuss, speaking as someone who does console repairs. Cables for it will most likely not be supplied by Sony but I'm betting we'll bee seeing them on AliExpress eventually, maybe even longer ones.

I have no illusion that VR will replace flat gaming but for me it'll most likely be a very nice addition even if the library almost certainly won't be as impressive. Maybe some triple A titles will somehow incorperate a VR mode even if it is playing in VR 3rd person.

I hope to receive my unit this Wednesday so I can experience something truly nextgen! GT7, RE8 and CotM are already in place.

They did make the right decision, but I fear a generation late, or rather shouldn't have released VR1. A lot of people had their first contact with VR1 and lost interest in VR. It effectivelly killed the VR hype, I'm not sure they can recover from that at this price point.

EIther way, I don't think VR will replace flat gaming. May persist alongside it but most people don't like using extra apparel and they play on the go. Even PC gaming has went towards portability, the Steam Deck gave the first big popular step and we'll see a big growth on that. Also VR gaming requires space that has become an expensive commodity these days.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony would probably get more sales for their VR headset, if they made it work with PC.
Yes, natively. I know you could get the original to work with PC & Steam/others, but it was a complex setup that didn't work perfectly all the time.

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Have you even bothered to read the specs?
I think you didnt understand the point,max resolution dont mean its doable,the headset can go 4k ,but is it 4k 60 fps plus effects and all? Nope.
Since you confirmed 4k ,i bet you they will go the 2k per eye upscaled to 4k to save ressources.I must say gbatempers arent that hardwary.
In conclusion having god of war ragnarok in full vr is not gonna be possible the way you think .Sony probably will find a tone down alternative.But its no gonna be as good as a normal game will be.

Alosho

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Lots of ignorant comments here, it's a shame people jump in to attack the headset and know close to nothing about VR.

1. VR is expensive, just look at the components and the technology needed to make it all work.

2. It will most likely never become PC compatible. Why? Because they want their store and console to make money, they don't want to give all of the possible earnings to steam. Also, this was designed to work with PS5, not any old PC to play janky VR mods. This thing is supposed to make PS5 more appealing to consumers and enrich their ecosystem.

3. No, it's not a quest competitor. This is like trying to compare cellphone games to PC/Console games, this is much better and it is expensive, it's a premium device.

4. Yes, VR is ready. If you don't think that's the case it's likely that your experience with VR is very limited and uninformed.

5. This is the best value for HIGH-QUALITY VR out there, try to get a comparable PCVR headset and gaming PC for what PS5+PSVR2 cost, I bet it's going to be extremely hard if not impossible.

If you want cheap games you can get a raspberry pi with emulators or a switch, VR is cutting-edge technology and it is going to be expensive, there is no way around that.

Last edited by Alosho,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes. $100 cheaper and nowhere near as capable as this bad boy.
It's more than capable.. Raw specs are one thing, but the featureset of the quest make up for the lack thereof.
Post automatically merged:

Lots of ignorant comments here, it's a shame people jump in to attack the headset and know close to nothing about VR.

1. VR is expensive, just look at the components and the technology needed to make it all work.
2. It will most likely never become PC compatible. Why? Because they want their store and console to make money, they don't want to give all of the possible earnings to steam. Also, this was designed to work with PS5, not any old PC to play janky VR mods. This thing is supposed to make PS5 more appealing to consumers and enrich their ecosystem.
3. No, it's not a quest competitor. This is like trying to compare cellphone games to PC/Console games, this is much better and it is expensive, it's a premium device.
4. Yes, VR is ready. If you don't think that's the case it's likely that your experience with VR is very limited and uninformed.
5. This is the best value for HIGH-QUALITY VR out there, try to get a comparable PCVR headset and gaming PC for what PS5+PSVR2 cost, I bet it's going to be extremely hard if not impossible.

If you want cheap games you can get a raspberry pi with emulators or a switch, VR is cutting-edge technology and it is going to be expensive, there is no way around that.

You want to talk about ignorant? You're suggesting people buy a PS5 just to play a laundry list of titles available on other platforms... That doesn't even make sense. Unless you already have interest in a PS5 and the exclusive titles, there's no reason to buy it just for VR, when there are more cost effective alternatives that give you a similar experience. Numbers 1 and 4 are the only valid points on this list. If only for the fact that obviously a good VR experience is going to set you back some money, and that we have plenty of titles that offer phenomenal VR gameplay. Sony not going PC makes sense, but not because of "janky VR mods". (lol?) Only because they want people to buy in to their ecosystem. I'm not buying a PS5 even if the headset is better than what I've got.

The fact you compared the Quest to mobile gaming.. Oh man.... You're a different breed.

Last edited by Kioku,

langston

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more than capable.. Raw specs are one thing, but the featureset of the quest make up for the lack thereof.
Post automatically merged:

You want to talk about ignorant? You're suggesting people buy a PS5 just to play a laundry list of titles available on other platforms... That doesn't even make sense. Unless you already have interest in a PS5 and the exclusive titles, there's no reason to buy it just for VR, when there are more cost effective alternatives that give you a similar experience. Numbers 1 and 4 are the only valid points on this list. If only for the fact that obviously a good VR experience is going to set you back some money, and that we have plenty of titles that offer phenomenal VR gameplay. Sony not going PC makes sense, but not because of "janky VR mods". (lol?) Only because they want people to buy in to their ecosystem. I'm not buying a PS5 even if the headset is better than what I've got.

The fact you compared the Quest to mobile gaming.. Oh man.... You're a different breed.
No

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what have you tried? PSVR1 and a potato with a head strap?? haha
The original htc vive, which apparently needed like six room sensors and still lagged like a mother. The lag from the vive bothered me way more than the low res of the psvr1. And nowhere I could go had any form of the oculus. Which now with zuck involved, is a hard pass.

And even if it came with Alyx included, there's no way I could justify the $1200 for an Index for literally the one game. Even with as much of a half life fanboy as I am.

The3DSWannabeBoozer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No PC compatibility, no buy.
I bought the original psvr, and was too burned by it.

The oculus quest 2 for $200 on sale was one of the best purchases I've ever made, between the standalone games and steamvr and indie demos on itch.io (backrooms and anime girlfriend sims are great free demos). Just a damn great device.

The fact you can develop unity VR games so easily on pc is such a huge plus, I've made my own VR meditation app, and walking simulators. Want to walk around Mario Castle or Hyrule or whatever else, just download the basic unity vr app, and import environments from the game resources rips site or various discords. In a couple hours, you have your own walking sim.
Just mind bogglingly cool

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If this thing we're compatible with steam, maybe I'd have a reason to try it.

The original ps VR was decidedly low res, but it was also the most responsive headset I've tried. But since it wouldn't work on PC, I have no reason to get it.
Sony’s VR devices quickly get unofficial support on PC - you can use a PSVR on Steam via Trinus, I can’t imagine the PSVR2 being any different. None of the ports are proprietary, it’s using bog standard USB by the look of things. I suspect gearheads will have it running on PC in no time flat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway