Hacking The Legend of Zelda BOTW DEMO being copied to an SD card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind playing the demo from the convenience of my own home, but I highly doubt this is real. For one thing, the amount of time to copy 16GB from Wii U to an SD card is going to be extremely long. It's going to be VERY noticeable that someone would do that out in public that's not showing Zelda being played. Also, aren't the Wii U units there encased to prevent people from getting access to the hardware directly?

Reactions: Chuardo

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At least I have the full Sun and Moon prototype!

Gesendet von meinem XT1563 mit Tapatalk
At least you might get arrested. Seriously though ... if you really like Nintendo you shouldn't pull stuff like this.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't seem completely unreasonable someone could slip an SD card considering how many units are in there, and how crowded the ones at the far back of the picture are.
Two problems.
1.)
NrXUtQD.png

Nintendo Representatives watch over you like a hawk when you're playing. This is to avoid people doing things they shouldn't.

2.)
nintendo-e3-2016-3.jpg

Look at the booths. I personally can't see a Wii U out in the open (although the picture is pretty lo-res so it's hard to say). I can at least see the gamepad on the table, but that's about it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most demos like this block the user from going to the home menu. So how did someone plug in their SD card, go to the home menu, and try to copy the demo to the SD card without ANYONE NOTICING. Like, they would be caught before they even started.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind playing the demo from the convenience of my own home, but I highly doubt this is real. For one thing, the amount of time to copy 16GB from Wii U to an SD card is going to be extremely long. It's going to be VERY noticeable that someone would do that out in public that's not showing Zelda being played. Also, aren't the Wii U units there encased to prevent people from getting access to the hardware directly?
I too doubt that it was real at all. I find it hard to believe no one would notice what was going on long enough to not be able to stop it, for one thing (assuming someone could get access to the systems at all).

Reactions: KapuDaKoopa

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B-but I just wanted to be a hero for GBATemp and dump the prototype for everyone!! Don't tell my parents :cry:

Gesendet von meinem XT1563 mit Tapatalk
I called the police and the FBI on you, have fun in the party van! Stealing is wrong!

Connell112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Two problems.
1.)
Nintendo Representatives watch over you like a hawk when you're playing. This is to avoid people doing things they shouldn't.

2.)
Look at the booths. I personally can't see a Wii U out in the open (although the picture is pretty lo-res so it's hard to say). I can at least see the gamepad on the table, but that's about it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most demos like this block the user from going to the home menu. So how did someone plug in their SD card, go to the home menu, and try to copy the demo to the SD card without ANYONE NOTICING. Like, they would be caught before they even started.

Yeah, you're probably right. I wasn't saying it actually happened, nor was I condoning the behaviour, I just thought from those snaps it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that someone could have managed it.

Food

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well wasn't skyward sword dumped? when it was at e3 the 30min demo or something like that ?

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm actually confident that this is true, one of the "hackers" contacted this streamer and he was talking about how he could actually dump the game, without phisically touching the wii u. According to him, he can just boot up browser, start exploit, and let it run in the background. However, he mentioned how he had to rewrite the kernel or something (cant remember exactly)

If this is real, I'm buying a wii u.

EDIT: It could also be a network dump, doesn't *have* to be through SD

Last edited by DutchyDutch,

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
So this rumor can be real , but i doubt he would have considering all the people around but who knows?
Could be real. But i doubt they have enough time to dump the entire game before his play time is over or a security clerk notices whats going on.
Lets say ddd dumps with 900MB/Minute the process would take between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the total file size

jc5504

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if he SOMEHOW put in his SD and accessed the web browser, what are the odds that all the Wii Us were connected to the wi-fi? There's no reason for them to have internet.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Even if he SOMEHOW put in his SD and accessed the web browser, what are the odds that all the Wii Us were connected to the wi-fi? There's no reason for them to have internet.
true, but who knows if any set up requires wifi access on these cat-r/cat-i units. someone could also host the exploit on an android device

jc5504

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true, but who knows if any set up requires wifi access on these cat-r/cat-i units. someone could also host the exploit on an android device
To host on android via hotspot, you would need access to system settings, so you could go in and change the wifi network. That in itself takes a while (lets say 5 minutes to set up and test connection) and only adds to the amount of time he would be doing suspicious things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9