• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The paradigm of False Dichotomy - If you aren't 100% in, you are an enemy. How can we break this?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That's the cutest thing I've ever heard you say @smf.

Do you think they did that to encourage people to speak out about their feelings, aspirations, and about how caring Microsoft is as a company?

Last edited by tabzer,

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fhjR3cLl.jpg

This sums up the GOP in 2023. I understand that this is an inconvenient truth but that's too bad.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's the cutest thing I've ever heard you say @smf.

Do you think they did that to encourage people to speak out about their feelings, aspirations, and about how caring Microsoft is as a company?
It looks like a group of people inside Microsoft that fought decades ago for rights and it seems like people took notice.

Companies don't care about anything, the people who own or work in the companies do.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It looks like a group of people inside Microsoft that fought decades ago for rights and it seems like people took notice.

Companies don't care about anything, the people who own or work in the companies do.

Good people work at Microsoft. I believe it.

• Haha
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same, though I do question if they are limiting their potential.
I don't know why you would ask that, it's not up to you to determine someones potential or the path they should take.

No matter how much you really really want it to be.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't know why you would ask that, it's not up to you to determine someones potential or the path they should take.

No matter how much you really really want it to be.

Thanks for addressing the obvious fact that my opinion doesn't change the decisions my friends already made. Lol.

I could say that I question every Microsoft employee's decision, simply due to their status as a predatory megacorp. What I was speaking from was a friend who clearly became unhappy ever since taking the job.

Last edited by tabzer,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could say that I question every Microsoft employee's decision, simply due to their status as a predatory megacorp. What I was speaking from was a friend who clearly became unhappy ever since taking the job.
Microsoft is many things, your description is hyperbole.

I am not sure how your friends buyers remorse is relevant to their lgbtqi+ policy, is your friend lgbtqia+?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Microsoft is many things, your description is hyperbole.
It's a generalization based on decades of documented behavior of Microsoft's role in the industry. Here are some examples:
  1. Monopolistic practices: In the late 1990s, Microsoft was accused of using its dominant position in the personal computer operating system market to stifle competition. The United States Department of Justice filed an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft, alleging that the company engaged in anti-competitive behavior by bundling its Internet Explorer web browser with Windows and limiting the ability of PC manufacturers to install competing web browsers. Microsoft was ultimately found guilty of violating antitrust laws.
  2. Embrace, extend, and extinguish: This strategy refers to Microsoft's tactic of adopting industry standards, adding proprietary extensions to them, and thereby making it difficult for competitors to interoperate with Microsoft's products. One notable example is Microsoft's handling of the Java programming language. In the late 1990s, Microsoft created its own version of Java, which included proprietary features and deviated from the cross-platform nature of Java. This move was seen as an attempt to undermine Java's platform independence and strengthen Microsoft's own technologies.
  3. Software bundling: Microsoft has been criticized for bundling its software products with Windows, giving them an advantage over competitors. For example, in the early 2000s, Microsoft bundled its media player, Windows Media Player, with Windows, which was seen as an attempt to stifle competition from third-party media players.
  4. Patent disputes: Microsoft has been involved in various patent disputes with competitors, and it has been accused of using its patent portfolio to engage in predatory behavior. For instance, in 2007, Microsoft sued GPS device manufacturer TomTom over alleged patent infringement related to the Linux kernel. This move was seen as an attempt to undermine the adoption of open-source software and protect Microsoft's market position.
  5. App Store policies: Microsoft's approach to its app store has also faced criticism. For example, when Windows 8 was released, Microsoft limited app distribution to its Windows Store, making it the only official way to distribute software for Windows 8. This move was seen as an attempt to exert control over the software ecosystem and limit the freedom of developers.
Of course it's many other things, too.

I am not sure how your friends buyers remorse is relevant to their lgbtqi+ policy, is your friend lgbtqia+?

Show me where that is implied. We were talking about the idea of a "caring" company vs good people working at said company.

Last edited by tabzer,

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Politicians, all I gotta say, if you fully follow one person then you'll run yourself into the ground. The world is a hodgepodge of differing opinions, and knowing how to interact despite those differences is what makes you civil. Which is also rare in the US, not sure on other countries.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't really believe those banks or Microsoft give a shit about gay pride, do you?

We were talking about the idea of a "caring" company vs good people working at said company.
I was purely responding to Viri's statement. Companies don't care about anything, they are just a construct of the people who work there. How they deal with business and how they deal with issues outside of their business are two completely unrelated things and you're just arrogantly making it up if you think you know what is going on in their minds.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was purely responding to Viri's statement. Companies don't care about anything, they are just a construct of the people who work there. How they deal with business and how they deal with issues outside of their business are two completely unrelated things and you're just arrogantly making it up if you think you know what is going on in their minds.
You said Microsoft cares and I mocked it because they don't care, as you say, now, and as Viri said then. What does Microsoft "think" if it cannot "care"?

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My view is that the advent of social media and the acceleration of the news cycle has spawned a culture that almost REQUIRES a person to take sides on any issue that ever comes up, and justifies people to villify and despise anyone who doesn't agree with them. We're all scared and angry, and there has to be a better way.

You nailed it here. So the solution is pretty simple : ban social media, and limit the use of the internet. Not gonna happen, yeah I know.

Also : parents ans schools should actually educate children again instead of letting TV, tablet and computers do it.

Internet, social medial and loose education give a tremendous empowerment to mob mentality, and herds hunt anyone who thinks for themselves and deviates from the herd's dogma in the slightest, just like zombies hunt for the living in movies.

This prevailing mob mentality prevents any form of articulate rational thinking and favors hysterical sentimentality, narcissism and idiocy. More and more people have mindsets of children who think we're living in a cartoon, with easily and clearly identifiable good guys and bad guys on each side.

But make no mistake, this is exactly what our "elites" want. Dumb people are much easier to control and are much more valuable consumers. In the video game market, for example, they buy overpriced collector's editions, are satisfied with lazy remakes, applaud endless recycling of franchises (franchises are like virtual cuddly toys for many people nowadays), etc.

Last edited by Ligeia,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You said Microsoft cares and I mocked it because they don't care, as you say, now, and as Viri said then. What does Microsoft "think" if it cannot "care"?
You got me, I wasn't pedantic in my reply to Viri, because he's not being an asshole.

You mock a lot of things, because you are.

Your inability to keep up with the conversation, is not really my problem.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/20...yone-to-make-pride-with-open-source-campaign/

This year we’re celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Global LGBTQIA+ Employees and Allies at Microsoft (GLEAM) employee resource group that is a driving force for LGBTQIA+ inclusion and Pride at Microsoft around the world.

With all the hate that supporting LGBTQIA+ brings with it, with no tangible benefit for doing so, I don't see how you come to the conclusion you have.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You got me, I wasn't pedantic in my reply to Viri, because he's not being an asshole.

You mock a lot of things, because you are.

Your inability to keep up with the conversation, is not really my problem.

You were pedantic, but you were trying to have your cake and eat it too by saying Microsoft doesn't care and Microsoft cares, lol. It was a woosh moment for you, when you didn't get Viri's comment. You keep going forward with the conversation without trying to understand what was said, so it compounds the confusion.

With all the hate that supporting LGBTQIA+ brings with it, with no tangible benefit for doing so, I don't see how you come to the conclusion you have.

You are suggesting Microsoft didn't have any incentive in pleasing their employees/potential customers and supporting them? In the previous example it seemed lke the employees driving it.

Last edited by tabzer,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but you were trying to have your cake and eat it too by saying Microsoft doesn't care and Microsoft cares, lol.
No, I just forgot how dumb you were.

"Microsoft Corp NASDAQ: MSFT" doesn't care about anyone. Businesses aren't sentient.

The people who work at Microsoft care.

You are suggesting Microsoft didn't have any incentive in pleasing their employees/potential customers and supporting them?
The employees of Microsoft are the people who care, people have an incentive to care about things they care about. What is so difficult to understand? I don't believe they will make more money from sales than the money they donated, which appears to be Viri's argument.

I await your next incorrect interpretation of the conversation.

Last edited by smf,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No, I just forgot how dumb you were.

Hardy har har. Deflect and project your insecurity onto me.

"Microsoft Corp NASDAQ: MSFT" doesn't care about anyone. Businesses aren't sentient.

The people who work at Microsoft care.

Yes, that never needed clarifying. Viri's comment wasn't confusing. You suggesting that "Microsoft might" as opposed to "banks", the whole point went over your head. Banks can "care" the same way Microsoft does. Not at all, as corporations, and yes as people. Just admit that you got caught with your stupid inconsistency. :P

I don't believe they will make more money from sales than the money they donated, which appears to be Viri's argument.
Believing a company will work against its own interest is quite an amazing claim. The conversation stemmed from a wiki to what Microsoft was doing to make its employees happy, and you acted like that wouldn't benefit Microsoft. You have no clue. Lol.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that never needed clarifying. Viri's comment wasn't confusing. You suggesting that "Microsoft might" as opposed to "banks", the whole point went over your head. Banks can "care" the same way Microsoft does. Not at all, as corporations, and yes as people.
You seem confused, you are now arguing that my point was correct all along.

It's satisfying for me that you're so triggered now that you will keep on posting despite this.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You seem confused, you are now arguing that my point was correct all along.

That wasn't your point. You pulled a 180 after failing at being pedantic. It's recorded. Anybody can read this. You work at Micrsoft for PR or something? Must be so stressful, as you try to push "Microsoft cares" unironically. Nice try at gaslighting, loser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I can shoot guys :shy::blush::evil:
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not from more than 2 feet tho
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You confuse shooting for milking
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, hasn't shot anything since 1938
    +2
    I think that was "The great depression" time
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It like one of those fake guns, that shoot, then a flag comes out and says, "splash"
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah a world War wasn't going on or anything
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Americans lied about camps for propaganda
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, where is your gun at?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought he already showed you his gun
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." - Full Metal Jacket
    +1
    We actually said that in Boot Camp, waaay before the movie :mellow:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta raid0 these m.2s yay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do a raid10
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's tomorrow
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn Wal-Mart has 42" 4k TVs for only $150
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i bet it will not fit inside your bedroom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea here in North Korea, we are only allowed 1 19" tv per household. And the only channel we get is, MLT (Missile Launch Today)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, doesn't fit in his bedroom he's American
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hate ordering stuff online if I can go buy it somewhere close to me, and everywhere anymore will give you a discount only if you order it online, bs. Should be a discount if I go pick it up, not order online.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I love it for most things most stores you just shows the receipt online and they scan it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Makes it easy for incompetent restaurant staff that don't know how to hear an order
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Makes it easy for incompetent restaurant staff that don't know how to hear an order