• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

US 2022 Mid term elections. 8th November 2022.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we have enough measures after the vote as it is tbh. Voter ID is unnecessary. Electronic ones are fine too.
Yes they need to tighten registration, but once your registrated you shouldn't jump thru hoops, your vote should be tied to SSN. (just the ability to vote/ already voted, not who you actually voted for) so it would eliminate the fear of non-citizens or people double voting

Reactions: Hanafuda

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it a privacy concern to be able to confirm whether or not you already voted? Everyone's finger gets the same purple dye, no matter how they voted. There is no fingerprint taken. This is how we ran elections in Iraq to prevent fraud.
It's a privacy concern because it's an unnecessary measure. We already have plenty of measures in place to verify votes after they're made at the booth. I encourage you to do something you've never actually done before, which is read the verification process in your state.

Reactions: Jayro

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think we have enough measures after the vote as it is tbh. Voter ID is unnecessary. Electronic ones are fine too.
There were under twenty total instances of voter fraud in the 2020 election. Republicans want in-person voting only because they know they can limit the number of polling places and thus reduce the number of people who have the time and resources to stand in line for hours on end. Just another method of voter suppression meant to exclude the working poor.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes they need to tighten registration, but once your registrated you shouldn't jump thru hoops, your vote should be tied to SSN. (just the ability to vote/ already voted, not who you actually voted for)
I think registration should be loosened tbh. No deadlines or cutoff dates, you should be able to register and vote same day, even if it's election day.

Or better yet, be registered automatically for life when you turn 18.
Post automatically merged:

There were under twenty total instances of voter fraud in the 2020 election. Republicans want in-person voting only because they know they can limit the number of polling places and thus reduce the number of people who have the time and resources to stand in line for hours on end. Just another method of voter suppression meant to exclude the working poor.
Correct. Every single voter ID law is just giving the government the power to decide who, where, and when you can vote. Fuck that nonsense. Maybe these so-called pro-freedom, small government types should live up to the aesthetics they live by and actually believe in something other than oppression.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I do agree that it was a bad idea to remove it but......... Isn't the price of living (Witch has gone up since Joe got into office) ALSO a big issue if not bigger?
Absolutely it's a big issue. I just don't see the need to prioritize, we need EVERYTHING fixed at the same time. Remember, the fuckheads in Washington work for US, not the other way around.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think registration should be loosened tbh. No deadlines or cutoff dates, you should be able to register and vote same day, even if it's election day.

Or better yet, be registered automatically for life when you turn 18.
I don't mean deadlines or cutoff, I mean it should be tied to your SSN. in Other contries you can vote by your # (SSN-like) automatically

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes they need to tighten registration, but once your registrated you shouldn't jump thru hoops, your vote should be tied to SSN. (just the ability to vote/ already voted, not who you actually voted for) so it would eliminate the fear of non-citizens or people double voting

Democrats would (do) oppose that tooth and nail.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Democrats would (do) oppose that tooth and nail.
no the issue D have is that I have to bring all my docs and Bloodwork to vote if anyone questions who I am.
The issue is some counties purposely request EVERY ID and DOC they legally can if you are a minority..as a form to dissuade Minority votes.

Billy can vote with no ID, Shirt or shoes,
But if Carlos doesnt show up in a suit and does not have 3-4 different documents they interrogated them for murder

Last edited by djpannda,
Reactions: IncredulousP

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
there is no way of confirming the person to whom the ballot was mailed actually filled out the ballot once it's mailed in.
Yes there is, the person that filled it out has to sign the ballot envelope, or the ballot is invalidated and not counted. Pretty simple and effective.

How is it a privacy concern to be able to confirm whether or not you already voted? Everyone's finger gets the same purple dye, no matter how they voted. There is no fingerprint taken. This is how we ran elections in Iraq to prevent fraud.
I don't want my fingerprint out in the wild like that. I've never been arrested (fingerprinted on record), and want to keep it that way.

I don't mean deadlines or cutoff, I mean it should be tied to your SSN. in Other contries you can vote by your # (SSN-like) automatically
My state (WA state) ties my voter reg to my ID/License # and #SSN upon registration. I assumed they all did it this way.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely it's a big issue. I just don't see the need to prioritize, we need EVERYTHING fixed at the same time. Remember, the fuckheads in Washington work for US, not the other way around.
So the right to abort a baby is a bigger issue than food being expensive that its nearly impossible to buy.

Excuse me but what in the actual fuck.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes there is, the person that filled it out has to sign the ballot envelope, or the ballot is invalidated and not counted. Pretty simple and effective.

I don't want my fingerprint out in the wild like that. I've never been arrested (fingerprinted on record), and want to keep it that way.

Fetterman campaign is suing in Pennsylvania right now to reverse a decision that undated or unsigned mail-in ballots cannot be counted. Why would he want that???

As for the purple finger dye, again there is no fingerprint taken.

Reactions: sombrerosonic

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm... That sounds like Mitch, yes. But am i missing the goal of these elections here? I thought that the majority would get to work with the government to get things done(or not). How exactly can you block things with a minority?

Like... I'm not going to win anything (especially due to me not participating). But can i just block and stall things for the heck of it? I would think not, but again... Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this is about...
you block things with a minority using the filibuster. it takes 60 votes to bypass, anyone can use it.

So the right to abort a baby is a bigger issue than food being expensive that its nearly impossible to buy.

would you consider your right to guns more important to expensive food? some people feel that full control over their own bodies is maybe more important.

Reactions: IncredulousP

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fetterman campaign is suing in Pennsylvania right now to reverse a decision that undated or unsigned mail-in ballots cannot be counted. Why would he want that???

As for the purple finger dye, again there is no fingerprint taken.

I see you got a Memory like a GOLDFISH ...
because Maybe LAST WEEK Republicans were trying to make it harder to count the votes

Pennsylvania's divided Supreme Court last week ruled in favor of a lawsuitfiled by the Republican National Committee and other groups, who argued that state lawrequires voters to correctly write the date on a return envelope when mailing in ballots.

I don't know about you but a lot of people just rush thru or miss things...
although I try to doubt check everything.. I also ... GASP miss Writing the date some times.. Does that mean My VOTE is trash?
I have seen people write in the Election date instead of the day they signed to ballot..
or people who handwriting is HORRIBLE and you cannot make sense of it ...

The date does not MATTER only the vote and if they CAN vote

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see you got a Memory like a GOLDFISH ...
because Maybe LAST WEEK Republicans were trying to make it harder to count the votes

Pennsylvania's divided Supreme Court last week ruled in favor of a lawsuitfiled by the Republican National Committee and other groups, who argued that state lawrequires voters to correctly write the date on a return envelope when mailing in ballots.

I don't know about you but a lot of people just rush thru or miss things...
although I try to doubt check everything.. I also ... GASP miss Writing the date some times.. Does that mean My VOTE is trash?

I mentioned that Fetterman's lawsuit is trying to reverse that very decision. No problem with the memory.
Also what's the point of arguing to me how mail-in voting is so secure and so verified, then arguing that ballots received by mail shouldn't have to comply with those verification requirements?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My state (WA state) ties my voter reg to my ID/License # and #SSN upon registration. I assumed they all did it this way.
Every State is different and the Document yo Register is a bit different. it should automatically be tied to your SSN. Everyone Eligible to vote, should be just automatically allowed to vote.

I mentioned that Fetterman's lawsuit is trying to reverse that very decision. No problem with the memory.
Also what's the point of arguing to me how mail-in voting is so secure and so verified, then arguing that ballots received by mail shouldn't have to comply with those verification requirements?
please quote when I stated "how Mail-un voting is so secured and so verified"
ill wait

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Food prices are fine. Start extreme couponing or bulk buying food if it bothers you that badly. Or just suck it up and support your economy you love so much, 'patriot'. :rolleyes:

But never tell a woman what she can or can't do with her own body.

Every State is different and the Document yo Register is a bit different. it should automatically be tied to your SSN. Everyone Eligible to vote, should be just automatically allowed to vote.
Yeah, I agree. Can't fudge things up that way.

So that everybody that lives here gets a vote, probably.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please quote when I stated "how Mail-un voting is so secured and so verified"
ill wait

You're right, it was others who were preaching at me about how secure and verified the process is, telling me to go read the verification process in my state and etc. Not much point in having a verification process in a regulation though if the vote counters aren't required to abide by it.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly as someone that leans right, I'm expecting a blue wave.

i dont know if tehy got the printers fired up in time.

Food prices are fine. Start extreme couponing or bulk buying food if it bothers you that badly. Or just suck it up and support your economy you love so much, 'patriot'. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree. Can't fudge things up that way.

So that everybody that lives here gets a vote, probably.

what that tells me if that either he is doing really really bad, and is afraid of the clinton list, or they plan to cheat, either or.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Food leget went up since 13% in 2022 (Its time comsuming to do extreme couponing as well as the peoplewho do it on TLC, A sams club membership is 50 bucks a year)
Gas is now 5 to 4 bucks a gallon in a fuck ton of states (In your state, its $4.82)

That is a bigger problem. You cant think about kids or not having them by getting a abortion when you cant even buy a can of beefaroni.

(And yes i do support the ability to have a abortion, so please dont try to twist my words against me)

https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2022/prices-for-food-at-home-up-13-5-percent-for-year-ended-august-2022.htm#:~:text=Prices for food at home up 13.5 percent for year ended August 2022,-September 15, 2022&text=The Consumer Price Index for,the period ending March 1979.

Last edited by sombrerosonic,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn auto bots not pissing oil at o' rileys +1