• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What has motivated you to engage in political thought?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Good question. Let's see...

For me, it's somewhere in the aftermath of 9/11. While it was pretty clear al qaeda (Bin Laden) was behind it, for some reason it's just got mentioned. Not that anyone thought the country was completely on the level (i remember the gulf War from when i was young), there simply wasn't anything even remotely tieing them to 9/11. But for some reasons American just kept pushing the agenda and alleging those'weapons of mass destructions' existed, though there simply wasn't proof (south park later mocked their display of a random field as'proof'brilliantly).
So i protested. Fuck... Everyone in the eu did. And for good reason: the us were the good guys until that point. And they were attacked... So why the hell were they planning on attacking a completely different country in a completely different part of the world for a completely different reason?

The defining point, if you want to call it that, was me watching the documentary 'outfoxed'. It just... Helped me understood the madness the country went in: a self proclaimed news network that twisted news rather than covering it, coupled with the arrogance that they were telling the truth.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Thanks for sharing your story.
Good question. Let's see...

For me, it's somewhere in the aftermath of 9/11. While it was pretty clear al qaeda (Bin Laden) was behind it, for some reason it's just got mentioned. Not that anyone thought the country was completely on the level (i remember the gulf War from when i was young), there simply wasn't anything even remotely tieing them to 9/11.
Yeah, and the thrid building that collapsed hours later on its own. Very odd.
But for some reasons American just kept pushing the agenda and alleging those'weapons of mass destructions' existed, though there simply wasn't proof (south park later mocked their display of a random field as'proof'brilliantly).
Yeah, that has damaged the american reputation on the world stage tremendously.
So i protested. Fuck... Everyone in the eu did. And for good reason: the us were the good guys until that point. And they were attacked... So why the hell were they planning on attacking a completely different country in a completely different part of the world for a completely different reason?
Very good question. What are your findings on this?
The defining point, if you want to call it that, was me watching the documentary 'outfoxed'. It just... Helped me understood the madness the country went in: a self proclaimed news network that twisted news rather than covering it, coupled with the arrogance that they were telling the truth.
I will put that in my bookmarks. Thx

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a long time ago, but I suppose it was primarily 9/11 which eventually led to studying the ethnic cleansing of Palestine. It's been a real god damn exhausting can of worms.

Reactions: Xzi

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It was a long time ago, but I suppose it was primarily 9/11 which eventually led to studying the ethnic cleansing of Palestine. It's been a real god damn exhausting can of worms.
Thanks for sharing. So the 911 event seems to be a significant one. Perhaps the ethnic cleansing and the basically unjustified war against iraq and afghanistan might be connected.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The 2008 financial crisis was very impactful in my country and it happened in my early teens; the austerity that followed shaped my family's life forever. Adding to it, I moved to a new school with a completely different setting of thought. Before, I spent my time talking about science and technology and playing videogames with my friends. But my new classmates and teachers were more interested in human rights, equality and the humanistic dimension. In this context, I and my classmates found ourselves in school debates and student-organized protests.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Thank you for sharing your story.
The 2008 financial crisis was very impactful in my country and it happened in my early teens; the austerity that followed shaped my family's life forever.
I'm sorry to hear that.
Adding to it, I moved to a new school with a completely different setting of thought. Before, I spent my time talking about science and technology and playing videogames with my friends. But my new classmates and teachers were more interested in human rights, equality and the humanistic dimension. In this context, I and my classmates found ourselves in school debates and student-organized protests.
Nice

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Maybe you have another story that is more masculine?

None political.

Yes. As far as I know soy in the us is extremely toxic and leads to estrogen dominance.

That's a myth perpetuated by anti-animal rights or anti-plant based diet people. Soy is actually beneficial for the man's reproductive system. Check this out: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/soy/ ; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33383165/

"Results of recent population studies suggest that soy has either a beneficial or neutral effect on various health conditions. Soy is a nutrient-dense source of protein that can safely be consumed several times a week, and probably more often, and is likely to provide health benefits—especially when eaten as an alternative to red and processed meat."

"Soy foods are rich in nutrients including B vitamins, fiber, potassium, magnesium, and high-quality protein. Unlike some plant proteins, soy protein is considered a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids that the body cannot make which must be obtained from the diet."

"In a meta-analysis of 30 case-control and cohort studies from the U.S., Europe, Japan, and China, intakes of total soy foods, genistein, daidzein, and unfermented soy foods were associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer."

"Regardless of the statistical model, no significant effects of soy protein or isoflavone intake on any of the outcomes measured were found (lowering testosterone levels or raising estrogen levels). Sub-analysis of the data according to isoflavone dose and study duration also showed no effect."

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
That's a myth perpetuated by anti-animal rights or anti-plant based diet people. Soy is actually beneficial for the man's reproductive system. Check this out: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/soy/ ; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33383165/
Okay lets see.
"Results of recent population studies suggest that soy has either a beneficial or neutral effect on various health conditions.
This says nothing about estrogen and testosterone. In principle this statement can apply to smoking as well.
Soy is a nutrient-dense source of protein
I don't know about nutrient-density of soy, but I highly doubt bioavailability is comparable to beef.
that can safely be consumed several times a week, and probably more often, and is likely to provide health benefits—especially when eaten as an alternative to red and processed meat."
True processed meat is poison and a poor reference point. "Safely" is up for interpretation and no objective term. Smoking is likely to provide health benefits as well.
"Soy foods are rich in nutrients including B vitamins, fiber, potassium, magnesium, and high-quality protein. Unlike some plant proteins, soy protein is considered a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids that the body cannot make which must be obtained from the diet."
What about bioavailability?
"In a meta-analysis of 30 case-control and cohort studies from the U.S., Europe, Japan, and China, intakes of total soy foods, genistein, daidzein, and unfermented soy foods were associated with a lower risk of prostate cancer."
That I would have to look closer into.
"Regardless of the statistical model, no significant effects of soy protein or isoflavone intake on any of the outcomes measured were found (lowering testosterone levels or raising estrogen levels). Sub-analysis of the data according to isoflavone dose and study duration also showed no effect."
No significant effects is up for interpretation. Beef definetly raises testosterone would be nice to see a direct comparison.

Last edited by Creamu,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it was pretty clear al qaeda (Bin Laden) was behind it

People are free to believe what they want, it's after all, free to do so.

And here's BBC the world's most trustworthy broadcast company about 9/11:

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
While it was pretty clear al qaeda (Bin Laden) was behind it

People are free to believe what they want, it's after all, free to do so.

And here's BBC the world's most trustworthy broadcast company about 9/11:

Yes, when taking a serious look at the 911 narrative it immdiatly falls apart.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@Creamu the second link is specifically about estrogen and testosterone. I don't understand why you compare the disproven concept of soy consumption's effect on men's hormonal balance with the proven fatal effect of smoking in humans. I also don't see the relevance of bioavailability to your argument: in the references for that page, you can see that the numerous studies that sustain the information presented in the text were based on observation in living subjects, not on purely theoretical calculations.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Not speaking for myself but the ones who appear to be engaged are mostly bored living with their parents and/or feeling invincible behind a computer screen and must absolutely feel the adrenaline rush by getting involved with arguments with contradictory opinions for the sake of winning said argument, bonus points for lack of education and taking beliefs as truth.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
@Creamu the second link is specifically about estrogen and testosterone.
Yes.
I don't understand why you compare the disproven concept of soy consumption's effect on men's hormonal balance with the proven fatal effect of smoking in humans.
I wanted to highlight the framing of their argumentation. The problem with science is that there is a lot of room for sophistry. I didn't mean to compare smoking with soy.
I also don't see the relevance of bioavailability to your argument:
The relevance is that for health it is not important what you eat, but what you digest. I was reacting to the claims in the quotes you have provided.
in the references for that page, you can see that the numerous studies that sustain the information presented in the text were based on observation in living subjects, not on purely theoretical calculations.
Yes. What would be a nice study is a comparison of soy intake in contrast to lean grass fed beef.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo