What is the game you invested the most money in?

tempy_thinker.png

As anybody that even vaguely follows games will know then most computer games cost money. How much money they cost can vary quite dramatically, even from person to person. For the industry is a very important topic as you will want to get the most money for your product, and different people have different "pain points" and understanding those will potentially see you make a lot more money than you otherwise might have.
This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss things to do with game design, aspects of play and other industry concepts. Today is Noctosphere's guest entry in the series.

Counting things like expansions, dlc, virtual currency, monthly payments, etc then what is the game you invested the most in?

Personally, I invested a lot in The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.
In total I invested over 400$ in the sims 4 over the years
I calculated, it's about 10$/month, which I think isn't that bad.

Previously we discussed times where people said gameplay styles would not work for a platform

Also under discussion are times you might have purchased a console for a single game, a large collection or peripherals or upgraded your PC again just for that one game. You might also want to compare it to games other than computer games, the obvious first start for many being collectible card games such as Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh and the Pokemon card game. Similarly have you waited for something to go on sale, hit the second hand market, get released as a gold/game of the year edition or something along those lines? Tiered pricing in games is also sort of on the way out, do you have any thoughts there?

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Same here, defintly playing World of Warcraft straight for like 6,5 years. And yes I also bought some ingame Mounts or pets...
On the other side - in those years I did not bought any other games or so...

Marcsoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely World of Warcraft hands down. I've had an active subscription since 2008. All collector's editions. Purchased all the paid mounts and pets. Multiple copies of the game when they had "Recruit a Friend" mounts and bonuses along with the subs for those. Too many WoW TCG card packs for the mounts and pets and things. Shirts, books, figures, soundtracks, accessories of all kinds. And to top it off, Flew from Boston to Los Angeles in 2014, 2015, and 2017 for Blizzcon, so car rental, hotel, food, Blizzcon tickets, and a ton on random Blizzard stuff there.
When I think about it, it's kinda sad how many thousands I've spent in relation to that one game... Worth it though xD
I even have stickers on my car...
Ybdiush.jpg

Reactions: Robika and Frexxos

RayD97

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Smash Wii U, the one that came with the GameCube controller. $100. But do the ensuing amiibos count?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Smash Wii U, the one that came with the GameCube controller. $100. But do the ensuing amiibos count?
well, amiibo are collectible figurines, but they are also used in video games
so i guess they count :P

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None, I buy the game (used after a few months, of course) and that's it.
I don't support crates, loot boxes or paying extra for crap in the game, it should be banned. I don't mind DLC levels which aren't on the disc but that's it.
It's already enough that we have to pay to play online on Xbox and PS4 without spending extra on garbage within the games, I've never bought a GTA shark card or anything like that.

My friends moronic little brother spent £500 on his mothers bank card on that poison Fortnite

Games were better in the previous generations, 360 I'd say video games peaked, because they are now being spoiled by micro transactions and mobile mechanics, back in the day you buy the game and you're all set, not you need to jump through hoops like paying for online, spending the price of the game again on extra crap, I hope the kids wake up and fight back but they've been blinded.

ITS NOT TOO LATE TO FIGHT AGAINST NINTENDO TAKING YOUR MONEY FOR ONLINE THOUGH!!!SAY SOMETHING!!

gameus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was definitely the original Destiny. I bought the first collector's edition. Bought a PS4 bundle and the season pass so my fiance could play with me. Then when TTK came out, I traded in my PS4 to get the special gold and white PS4, bought the TTK collector's edition. The PS4 bundle already included the game and so did the collector's edition. And they didn't have another season pass after TTK. But I did end up buying two copies of Rise of Iron.

Not to mention all the silver I bought for (at the time) purely cosmetic items. Then, being the shill I am, bought the Destiny 2 collector's edition and bought a second base game and season pass again. Obviously being heavily disappointed with this game I haven't really played since the initial release. Barely checked out the new DLCs and decided I was done with the franchise unless I see their fall expansion completely change everything.

So not counting the first PS4 I had since I already owned it:

D1 Collectors ($100)
2nd PS4 + Game ($400)
Second Season pass ($35 I think?)
PS4 Trade In for White + Gold (I only paid $100 after everything I traded in)
Taken King Collector's ($100)
Rise of Iron ($40 for both copies if I recall)
Destiny 2 Collector's ($100-150, can't remember the price)
Second Copy + Season Pass ($95)

This does't include all the silver I have purchased, which probably adds another $200, but this accounts for both games since silver came into the first destiny.

I'd say at least $1,000 between both games, if we're just counting Destiny 1, At least $800, which is roughly $22 a month for the 3 full years I played Destiny 1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1