• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What would become of the UK/England..

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I'll not argue with these numbers, but I will say that the queen dying has shown a lot of the land "owned" by the crown would rather find new ownership, as it was improperly seized via colonialism and imperialism to begin with. For that matter, calls for reparations are also picking up a lot of steam.

With Brexit the UK declared they'd rather withdraw into their own little bubble, but that being the case, logic dictates lands outside of that bubble should no longer be accessible to them as a playground, royalty or no.
Yeah but we know how new ownership goes. It'll never go to where it's due, always to benefit someone already powerful and rich. As is at least there is a beneficial arrangement towards the people and it's not like you could expropriate the monarchs without some sort of revolution.

Right now Britain's greatest problem lies in the parliament where people have been voted into office fueled by misinformation and prejudice against the electorate's own interest. I'm sure a lot of discussion around Charles will be use to deviate attention for the state of the economy that will be facing a major challenge without the help of the EU and a new PM that seems to be as Tatcher'esque as one can be.

Nonsense. The monarchy is a drain on uk finances, the places associated with it would be even more successful without royals. I don't see Versailles, Caserta or Schoenbrunn suffer because of the lack of royalty inhabiting them.
You reacted to my post above. The monarchy pays more money directly to the state than the state to the monarchy. That's the arrangement the British crown has with the country, specifically. If you watch the video you'll how that came about.

Reactions: Xzi

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You reacted to my post above. The monarchy pays more money directly to the state than the state to the monarchy. That's the arrangement the British crown has with the country, specifically. If you watch the video you'll how that came about.

No it really doesn't, it's that absurdity all over again. Just the money squandered on Andrew alone...

Reactions: Tarmfot

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, as someone who's been living through it since the beginning, it's a wankfest of Little Englander racist c***s who were duped by a conman. Besides, rebuke of the EU by driving the UK to the ground all by itself? That's some serious mis-aimed rebuke all right.
The beginning was the 70s really (amusingly enough Labour supported it back then, though that was old labour so take that as you will, them looking most to unions with Australia and strengthening the commonwealth that the EU stint saw left to rot really outside of sports events and a few easy visas at various times -- see ten pound poms) and had been bubbling in the background ever since (Eurosceptic would have been the term of choice if those playing along at home want to go searching old newspapers or whatever), though you could probably find further stuff (some anti EC stuff would have been around and even anti Bretton Woods but I am way less familiar with minutia there). I presume Farage is the one you label a conman and while he is certainly a figurehead he was far from the only player.

Whether it was a direct casual issue for the current woes, inevitable* or them mishandling kung flu with pointless restrictions (or perhaps too few in the eyes of some if that would have somehow shortened things) and doing money printer go brr (granted the US did the same so was going to happen regardless really). There is also the argument that the pain such that it is caused by it*** is worth it, and that comes down to individual subjective calls.

*recessionary cycles were overdue if it is every 8-12 years (greater cycles also overdue) and the last one was housing crash and it is not like they raised taxes to create a cushion and reduce in hard times as per sensible economics, there is still no industry, still a load of pointlessly restrictive laws preventing anything but financial services, increasingly expensive government mandated/provided services (between lack of industry, plus women in the workforce**, meaning you pay those that would have gone there and are too stupid or otherwise incapable of finance job to twiddle their thumbs and continuing to be at the forefront of science for medicine to also pay for all those with nothing to do it adds up considerably), not like anybody anywhere has built houses in decades now which means nobody is affording anything either if larger and larger portions of the depressed wages are going on that.

**Even as late at the late 70s and early 80s there were still large sections of society that would have done school to maybe be a secretary for a few years before marrying a rich man or one doing those nice shiny new apprenticeships which is basically them removed as far as workforce stats go.

***looking at most of the EU member states right now (certainly any with proper clout) then they are similarly not doing great. Some of that is ill considered Russian sanctions but not all. If so goes one (and it is not like Greece or Italy are going to get their shit together any time soon) then so goes all is the fate of the EU then is it all that much different?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As is at least there is a beneficial arrangement towards the people and it's not like you could expropriate the monarchs without some sort of revolution.
That's supposing the profits are socialized or at least going toward social programs. As-is they're more likely to be going toward corporate subsidies and the like. You're right in calling that out as more of a parliamentary issue, though.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
No it really doesn't, it's that absurdity all over again. Just the money squandered on Andrew alone...
Doesn't that money come from the crown? Even if for some reason the parliament decided to sponsor Andrew directly, his spendings far for reached the anual £160M the state profits from the crown or where that that value is at currently.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
as many would say it is more of a rebuke of the EU rather than an isolationist streak or removal from the commonwealth as a concept.
There are a lot of things people say, the reality is that some people voted to leave because they hated immigrants, some did it because they thought they were redoing world war 2, some did it because they saw no down sides and loads of money going to the NHS

Obviously the leavers want to remain in the common wealth, because they think we control that.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't that money come from the crown? Even if for some reason the parliament decided to sponsor Andrew directly, his spendings far for reached the anual £160M the state profits from the crown or where that that value is at currently.
No, it's taxpayer money given to the Crown

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The U.K. just needs to dissolve in a pool of acid. The world will be much better off without the British running everything that they have now. Australia would be off their tiddy, Ireland gets their land back, etc, etc...

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP
Nonsense. The monarchy is a drain on uk finances, the places associated with it would be even more successful without royals. I don't see Versailles, Caserta or Schoenbrunn suffer because of the lack of royalty inhabiting them.

"King" Charles is one of the scummiest landlords ever.
Any evidence to support your claims?

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Tarmfot

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
Trophies
XP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    but that's a long shot
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: I'm new! Hi!