• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What would become of the UK/England..

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "not a landlord means you are a good person" was the thing that made me realize they were mentally unwell.

It would make them very vulnerable to bad people, as their only criteria was "are they a landlord?".

There are some really shit landlords of course, but I know three landlords that take great care of their tenants.
It's that responsibility that has put me off being a landlord.
Wait, THAT'S why you're flipping shit so performatively?? You think my only metric for morality is if someone is a landlord or not? Are you fucking dumb???

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not to mention that being a landlord doesn't mean sit down and count money, but you're legally responsible for the upkeep of the house: fixing broken things, for example.
HAH! Best fable I've read on the subject.
Don't shoot the messenger, I was just trying to be helpful and sign post you.

Good luck with your journey.
Signpost me? what are you talking about.
Worry about your own journey, tyvm.

Reactions: LainaGabranth

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From living the majority of my adult life in rented accommodation (and knowing many others in similar circumstances) it is my experience that shit landlords get shit tenants and good tenants get good landlords.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, THAT'S why you're flipping shit so performatively?? You think my only metric for morality is if someone is a landlord or not? Are you fucking dumb???
Those were your words, if you regret them now for giving me a false impression of your mental state then it's no use melting down. I will say, that your response hasn't done anything to change my opinion though.

I'm not "flipping shit" (whatever that means), just trying to help.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems people are talking past each other.

On the face of it then yeah you can own land in most non nomadic cultures (which is most of the ones around today, mainly as farming is far easier to sustain a large industrial population with than being nomadic herders or hunter gatherers that have to carry everything with them or build anew). People will make money from anything and as land is a thing then you can use it to make money but more on that later.

There are some hippies, communists and blendings of the two that reckon the land is owned by/ought to be owned by the people and thus can only be shared out (possibly on an as needed basis -- each according to their need and all that) or possibly leased (though this can be dubious too). Private ownership of land, which is a sharply limited resource as well*, then being anathema to that. Some will go further and try to construct rights to land but eh.
Economically speaking this is troublesome for some people as owning land and passing it down can be one of the better ways to create generational wealth, or fund retirements as the case may be. American Indians and the Indian reservations being a great case study in the removal of such things. Equally land used for living on is not very productive either -- most of the time it just sits there doing fuck all and not adding to production, increased value chains or anything like that.

*not like more of it is being made, and most of the best spots are already taken (do also look at the US federal land map) as it has now been several hundred years of industrial production and population growth. The US also does really awfully at housing density as well -- single family suburban homes are awful on so many levels but that is a different discussion.

Buy to let. Not as popular as it was, mainly as many incentives for it were removed, but still a thing in various capacities.
Lenders want their money back, if you are a person earning 10000 a year you can probably get a second mortgage for another house a few years after your first starts to be paid down. Rent that out and the rent you get (plus earning a lot from your main job) means you have further income that counts for the purposes of getting a third mortgage. Rinse and repeat and suddenly one guy can own a lot of houses with them all paying off the other, gets even better with more houses still as risk is even more diversified and assets under management similarly so.
This creates an upwards pressure on price (buy to let guy, housing investment trust or big bank does not care as it is generating money almost regardless and will accordingly pay more for the base good) that might price more conventional "buy one house, live in it" peeps out of the market.
Couple this with further upward pressures from not building enough houses - be it immigrants (many countries people want to live in have a lot as a percentage), be it migration to cities, be it wage decreases (women joining workforce, everything moving out of industrial to service sector which requires higher and higher intelligence that not everybody has), cultural reasons/dating reasons (100 clones of the same decent dude, 50 with houses, 50 without, do we want to be on which will be more successful, and that is not counting things like China), be it because the natives are fucking like rabbits (not really anywhere at present but was still within living memory -- they call it the baby boom for a reason), be it because "ew not in my back yard, I want to look at the hedge rather than a housing estate" aka nimby/build absolutely nothing anywhere near anyone aka banana, be it because some sacred toad lives on this field, be it because retail is profitable, be it because industry is profitable, be it because farmland is useful to grow food to eat (don't want to be a food importer if you can help it), be it because people voting for you like to see their house prices rise**, be it because pointless restrictions in building (and most places have loads of these, creeping safety, conservation and insulation types always driving a wider wedge), be it because single people need single people houses rather than couples taking 2 people out of the population needing houses).
Not everything is this though and many times it is just someone inherited a house, had a house from when they were each two single people and figured out a way to consolidate, split an existing house into flats/apartments (nominally actually increasing the supply), bought a house as a retirement asset of their own, rather than leaving it empty to bugger off around the world for a few years decided to rent.

**can be idiots that don't realise a rising tide lifts all ships and they are not going to live in a tent, can be their retirement fund with some kind of reverse mortgage/equity release.

On the flip side I like to roam around and renting somewhere allows that vs having to sell a house, and maintain it in the meantime, every time I feel like buggering off for a few years or seeing if the supermarkets 5 towns over are better. Rental arrangements allow for this and while I do it for decadent reasons others actually want to pursue financial opportunities and hop from city to city or place to place to do it.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those were your words, if you regret them now for giving me a false impression of your mental state then it's no use melting down. I will say, that your response hasn't done anything to change my opinion though.

I'm not "flipping shit" (whatever that means), just trying to help.
Why would I care about the opinion of someone who's so dumb that they think disliking landlords means their only lens for morality is if they're a landlord or not, even if they're unrelated to landlording?? No opinion you could possibly hold in any capacity is going to be intellectually stimulating.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would I care about the opinion of someone who's so dumb that they think disliking landlords means their only lens for morality is if they're a landlord or not, even if they're unrelated to landlording?? No opinion you could possibly hold in any capacity is going to be intellectually stimulating.
Trust me sister. Someone that could come up with the gem

"Are they Landlords? -> No -> Then they aren't bad for the same reasons as landlords are bad intrinsically."

And then back track on it when they are told what that actually means, is not intellectually stimulating for me either.

If you are lacking intellectual stimulation then it's because your posts are so dumb that they made me think you were mentally ill. Your subsequent posts have done nothing to change my mind.

You are never going to get intellectual stimulation from your troll shit posts.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Now that the Queen is dead, I expect the followng to happen:

- Global Warming will accelerate by 100 times.

- Waves of Radical Extreme Far Right Conservative Christians will flood the streets causing a second and a third holocaust.

- Jack the Ripper will come back from the dead.

- Donald Trump will evolve into Mecha Trump.

- Media outlets will stop posting propaganda. Ok now that's too absurd.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust me sister. Someone that could come up with the gem

"Are they Landlords? -> No -> Then they aren't bad for the same reasons as landlords are bad intrinsically."

And then back track on it when they are told what that actually means, is not intellectually stimulating for me either.

If you are lacking intellectual stimulation then it's because your posts are so dumb that they made me think you were mentally ill. Your subsequent posts have done nothing to change my mind.

You are never going to get intellectual stimulation from your troll shit posts.
This cope post isn't going to deter anyone from the fact you looked at a post about thinking landlords are bad and said "Hmm, this must be how she views all humanity!"

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
my word 3 whole landlords! They must be paragons of their own category to save it.

If you like going through a landlord once a week, maybe the landlords aren't the ones being shitty.

Are they Landlords? -> Yes -> They are bad people.

If you pay a landlord, you are objectively forcing them to be a bad person.

Last edited by tabzer,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This cope post isn't going to deter anyone from the fact you looked at a post about thinking landlords are bad and said "Hmm, this must be how she views all humanity!"
You said it was. Why would I doubt you? Words mean things, you are being disingenuous.

As I said, working out wtf is wrong with you is not my problem.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You said it was. Why would I doubt you? Words mean things, you are being disingenuous.

It knows. It's the only troll too afraid to respond to me. In another thread it denies the existence of race and then calls people racist. Seems like the goal is to draw attention to itself so that it can refer to itself as a gender. I suppose that's activism now.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rentier_capitalism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Landlord's_Game

If you can't understand how landlords are fundamentally bad for society, it might be you who needs help. Anyone who's ever had to rent a "cheap" apartment in order to not be homeless can tell you that even the least terrible landlord is still exploiting and mistreating their tenants significantly.
Landlords are bad for society? Wtf.

My father decided to help out a woman with her kid and he rented an apartment for her to live, before it was in great condition, but now it's like it's been through a warzone.

She's lucky she's dealing with him and not me, 'cause if it were me she'd pay for the damages (and there's A LOT) and kick her the fuck out.

But okay "landlords are bad." 🙄

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Landlords are bad for society?
I assume that's a rhetorical question. Yes, people who take 75% of their tenants' paychecks for one-bedroom apartments and can't even be arsed to change a lightbulb have an overall negative impact on society. They'll stop just shy of murdering you if you even broach the topic of housing as a human right. Landleech is not a real job, it's a degenerate lifestyle, and good people avoid that industry like the plague.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I assume that's a rhetorical question. Yes, people who take 75% of their tenants' paychecks for one-bedroom apartments and can't even be arsed to change a lightbulb have an overall negative impact on society. They'll stop just shy of murdering you if you even broach the topic of housing as a human right. Landleech is not a real job, it's a degenerate lifestyle, and good people avoid that industry like the plague.
All of this. Fuck landlords. Working full time and barely scraping by because some entitled prick who owns property takes 90% of my income is a huge problem.

Reactions: Xzi and Dark_Ansem

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mother was a landlord for a while. An older couple needed a place to stay or were going to be homeless, so my mother went and bought a duplex building with what savings she had, so they could rent it from her and have a place to live. Right off the bat, she skipped the typical "First and Last Month's Rent" thing and even gave them several months to live there rent-free so they had plenty of time to get things in order before having to make rent payments. They were even really low payments, essentially just cutting the building payments in half and charging only enough rent to be able to pay the bank and continue owning the house.

While the family renting the back half of the building were perfectly fine, as far as I remember, the original older couple were terrible tenants. They were constantly borrowing money and missing rent payments to the point where we were having to cover the costs to keep the building for over a year at a time before getting a single rent payment out of the blue, and then nothing again for months.

They simply up and disappeared without saying anything one day. The entire interior was completely trashed with piles of dog shit all over the carpets, and we found out that all of the money we were lending them wasn't going towards bills or anything like they were claiming, but for drugs. Fixtures were broken, and even after doing everything we could to fix it back up ourselves, we couldn't afford to continue paying for the building and had to sell it. Even then, we only got something like a third of what we had bought it for because of the state it was in.

While I'm not saying terrible landlords don't exist, keep in mind that the amount they charge for rent has to go towards paying for the building itself, having money saved up to make repairs when needed, and to be able to fix any damages that a potential tenant like the couple we had might do to the building. For something like larger apartment buildings, I suppose it's a bit easier because those costs can be split across all of the tenants living there. I do have to ask, if the rent you're complaining about is "90% of your income" and more expensive than a house payment would be, why not get a home loan and buy a house so you can make those cheaper payments? (Not intended as a sarcastic question, but genuine. I just finished college and am staying at my sister's place until I can find a job that uses my CS degree. So, while I remember what happened to my mother acting as a landlord to help that couple out, I don't have first-hand experience in owning a home.)

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I'm green da-ba-de-da-ba-die.