• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Where do you fall on the political spectrum?

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
left wing. I feel like it's better to be on the left or the right, like everyone says "I'm a centrist" but like when you're voting there is no center it's what you stand closest to. Sure not all of my values are on the left, but it's never expected for the candidate that i want to be a carbon copy of my views, so i'll still vote left.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Saying you're in the middle because you see flaws on both sides, in and of itself is flawed, as even the direct middle line is flawed, too.

I tend to go a little right. I preferred Trump to Hillary this past election, I found the Republican Party utterly pathetic when they faced Obama, though to the latter himself, I didn't think was amazing either.

On hot divisive topics, I feel like abortion should be frowned upon, purely on the grounds of people should be provided easy access to contraceptives. Why in the ever living crispity crap should women have to deal with abortions when the way better option is to, yknow, prevent that at the outset. I have no sympathy for illegal immigrants. I love the ability to own a gun, but that's partially because I'm an incredibly weak, short female, and I value the defense it provides. I tend to lean a little right, but when push comes to shove, I grab a little from both political sides to form my opinions.

According to the cool site Costello linked, I'm:

IMG_0392.jpg

Smidge right, and smidge libertarian.

Reactions: DeadlyFoez

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
purely on the grounds of people should be provided easy access to contraceptives. Why in the ever living crispity crap should women have to deal with abortions when the way better option is to, yknow, prevent that at the outset.

"Almost half (49%) of U.S. pregnancies are unintended, more than 3 million unintended pregnancies per year." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_pregnancy#United_States_of_America

"In the US it is estimated that 52% of unintended pregnancies result from couples not using contraception in the month the woman got pregnant, and 43% result from inconsistent or incorrect contraceptive use; only 5% result from contraceptive failure, according to a report from the Guttmacher Institute." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_pregnancy#Prevention_2

"unintended pregnancies result in about 800,000 abortions/year" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_pregnancy#United_States_of_America

Put another way, every year about 73,500 pregnancies occur because of contraceptive failure and about 632,100 pregnancies occur because of inconsistent or incorrect contraceptive use. Meanwhile, about 764,400 pregnancies occur because of no contraceptive use. So, it sounds like a bigger issue than ease of access to contraceptives. That's definitely a part of it, but such a big incorrect/inconsistent use of contraceptives is rather disturbing.

PS - And reading a bit more, it sounds like funding and encouraging hormonal IUDs which have a 0.1-0.2% typical failure rate would be much more ideal to the typical 5-9% for pills/injectables or 17% for condoms. Or about 2,940 unintended pregnancies per year vs the current 1.47 million per year in the US.

Last edited by kuwanger,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saying you're in the middle because you see flaws on both sides, in and of itself is flawed, as even the direct middle line is flawed, too.

I tend to go a little right. I preferred Trump to Hillary this past election, I found the Republican Party utterly pathetic when they faced Obama, though to the latter himself, I didn't think was amazing either.

On hot divisive topics, I feel like abortion should be frowned upon, purely on the grounds of people should be provided easy access to contraceptives. Why in the ever living crispity crap should women have to deal with abortions when the way better option is to, yknow, prevent that at the outset. I have no sympathy for illegal immigrants. I love the ability to own a gun, but that's partially because I'm an incredibly weak, short female, and I value the defense it provides. I tend to lean a little right, but when push comes to shove, I grab a little from both political sides to form my opinions.

According to the cool site Costello linked, I'm:

View attachment 140265

Smidge right, and smidge libertarian.
How is it flawed to be in the middle? It may mean i'm ignorant. But i'm happy being ignorant when it comes to politics. I hate them with all my heart and other vital organs. Both right and left. Hate fucking them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To those interested
Screenshot 2018-08-18 at 02.15.09.png

Screenshot 2018-08-18 at 02.15.23.png

How is it flawed to be in the middle? It may mean i'm ignorant. But i'm happy being ignorant when it comes to politics. I hate them with all my heart and other vital organs. Both right and left. Hate fucking them.
One of the main true flaws with people who try the "middle ground" approach is that they end up being enablers. One example being the so called "Centralists" who defend Nazis because it's their "freedom of speech," while ignoring the dangers neo-Nazis pose. Or the people who sit in silence and basically enable extremism by simply not doing about it or "defending their right to do so." Basically the middle ground is exploitable by extremists.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I mean it in the sense of no one just has a perfect thought process, and choosing not to side with either doesn't absolve your opinion of flaws. I don't label myself as fully right nor left, but that doesn't mean my opinions aren't utterly flawed, either.

Reactions: KingVamp

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Bullshit. There are only people in favor of entering a country illegally if there aren't enough ways to do it legally. Crying victimhood like this is just needlessly antagonizing others (oooh...did the big, bad left wing called you a nazi because you don't like criminals? You poor little thing! /s). Either you're bringing your argument incorrectly or your argument isn't "just" that you don't want undocumented people to enter your country.
GTFO with the victim mentality when we're the ones called "nazis" for things you don't agree with.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I had hoped tests like these would be long gone..

I am pretty sure no one actually takes these tests at face value. They are decent enough to give very broad ideas, but obviously not in depth enough to give an actual answer to where someone actually falls on the political spectrum. In other words, we are using it for fun because it adds something to the conversation.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm a libertarian which basically means I'm all for individual rights and as little government as possible. I will never be on either team because at the end of the day they are in fact both authoritarian just in different ways.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the "middle" is directly controlled by how far whichever side can pull the spectrum to their own extreme. This is an incredibly extreme example, but when the far end of one side is saying "hey we should cleanse an entire subset of the population because we're racially superior" and the far end of the other side is saying "how about we DON'T kill people, and if you try to spread that ideology we will physically fight you," logically speaking the '''''middle''''' would be "hey, let's NOT fight those people, and as a compromise they only get to kill SOME people"

There are some stances where you CAN'T allow compromise on one side or the other, because one side quite literally is just wrong. And as Lilith said, when you take a middle ground stance on a topic where one side is objectively wrong and has the means to enact their stance in a way that will cause harm to their target population, then you're doing more to help them than you are their opposition

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

GTFO with the victim mentality when we're the ones called "nazis" for things you don't agree with.
Oh, boo hoo, you got called a name of a political stance that's making a rise and actually fucking affecting people again, if you don't like it then change your stance to something that mirrors them less or do a bit more to defend why you AREN'T one. There are actually people being killed and brutalized because they don't have the means to leave their area without being tracked by their abusers, which is what @Taleweaver is talking about, so I'd say that's a fair fucking bit worse than being called a name

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh, boo hoo, you got called a name of a political stance that's making a rise and actually fucking affecting people again, if you don't like it then change your stance to something that mirrors them less or do a bit more to defend why you AREN'T one. There are actually people being killed and brutalized because they don't have the means to leave their area without being tracked by their abusers, which is what @Taleweaver is talking about, so I'd say that's a fair fucking bit worse than being called a name
Oh yeah, because I'm totally a nazi for opposing undocumented immigrants to enter the country illegally. It's not like your kind is purposely overusing this serious accusation. Not at all!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: balls