• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Would you call Francois Legault a "racist"?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello
So yea, Francois Legault, the new Prime Minister of Province of Quebec since October 2018,
has been called a "racist" by many external medias, such as from other provinces, but also other countries
Why would you ask?
Because he do his job, he do want he said he would do...
He said he would ban all religious sign from states employees such as teachers and policemen
The project of laws has been voted this morning, only few hours before this post

He also wants to vote a proejct of laws about immigration, focing immigrants to learn French (primary language of Quebec)

So... just because he wants to protect our values, values of all Quebecois, he is called a racist by many
And you, would you call him a racist for such actions as prime minister?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can see his point but trying to force a language onto people is a little bit racist even if he doesn't intend it to be.
yea well, right now, all the laws says is that if you don't speak french, you can't have a job in contact with customers

With this law, immigrants will have 3 years to learn basics french
My cousin in law is from Australia and he learned a very good french, not just basic, in about 18 months
So, with a bit of effort, I'm pretty sure anyone can do it too :)

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so.

If you plan to live in a country it makes sense to learn its primary language for easier integration. I'm ok with the banning of all religious sign from states employees such as teachers and policemen due to the fact that they are public servants and should be neutral.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I wanted to immigrate to Germany, I'd try to learn a bit of basic German before moving there. If you wanna move to another country, learn the damn language. If you don't learn the language of a country you're moving to, you're just making things harder for yourself, and will most likely become a burden on society there.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I wanted to immigrate to Germany, I'd try to learn a bit of basic German before moving there. If you wanna move to another country, learn the damn language. If you don't learn the language of a country you're moving to, you're just making things harder for yourself, and will most likely become a burden on society there.
I don't know if that'S what you meant
but what Legault wants to do is allowing immigrant in Quebec
even if they don'T speak french
However, they'll have 3 years to learn french, here in Quebec

Plus, if I got it right, there will be a system of "points" for immigrants
For exemple, if you already speak french, you get more points
As I said in another thread, if here in Quebec we need people who do tiny-soldering
and if an immigrant is qualified to do that, he'll get more point as well

The more points your family owns, the quicker your case will be treated
and the sooner you'll immigrate :)

Reactions: CORE

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Whilst I'm convinced that the whole world would be better of speaking English, forcing a language upon someone isn't a bad thing.

Say you're moving to Qatar or Kazakhstan and the only language they speak is Arabic or Kazakh, you've got to adapt to the language over there to be able to do groceries or even survive.
What if you've got a deadly peanut allergy?, knowing the language enough to know what packet contains peanuts would be a life saver.

No, calling someone racist for trying to create a better local society by making immigrants speak the local language is nonsense.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I only have what has been said here to go on.

It is not racist to exclude a religion -- religion is not a race. It might be religiously intolerant but at the same time there are plenty of places that force the government, and agents thereof when conducting their official business, to be secular and if this falls under that.

Language. I find Quebec endlessly amusing here, and most of its laws on language to be bad -- Quebec almost seems to fetishise its language, and in doing so constantly fear that it will go away if it is not compelled at sorts of levels, and that crosses over into all sorts of bad laws. This would be one of them. While it is good to learn the majority language of where you are at I am not wanting to see such a thing be compelled legally*, and definitely not if you are already a citizen of the country.

*some more in depth thoughts here https://gbatemp.net/threads/should-...untry-learn-its-language.533055/#post-8541944 . Depending upon what Quebec has as far as autonomy to control immigration then I would also say it should be of limited interest at best for a big boy working visa.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I only have what has been said here to go on.

It is not racist to exclude a religion -- religion is not a race. It might be religiously intolerant but at the same time there are plenty of places that force the government, and agents thereof when conducting their official business, to be secular and if this falls under that.

Language. I find Quebec endlessly amusing here, and most of its laws on language to be bad -- Quebec almost seems to fetishise its language, and in doing so constantly fear that it will go away if it is not compelled at sorts of levels, and that crosses over into all sorts of bad laws. This would be one of them. While it is good to learn the majority language of where you are at I am not wanting to see such a thing be compelled legally*, and definitely not if you are already a citizen of the country.

*some more in depth thoughts here https://gbatemp.net/threads/should-...untry-learn-its-language.533055/#post-8541944 . Depending upon what Quebec has as far as autonomy to control immigration then I would also say it should be of limited interest at best for a big boy working visa.
it's not excluding "A" religion, but rather exclude ALL religions, including christianism
As for "religion isn't a race", how would you call intolerance toward religion?
Whatever you say, be aware that everyone say it's racism anyway

I don't know why you find Quebec amusing, we try to protect our patrimony like all country
that's nothing amusing, it's just normal...

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

No.He is trying that to what our leaders in the EU are to dumb:

PROTECT the country´s VALUES.
PROTECT the soul,the spirit,the heart of an culture.
PROTECT the country that not the same happend like to most countries in Europe.

YES,he is the man.

If a leader do this in Europe he would be stoned to death.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's not excluding "A" religion, but rather exclude ALL religions, including christianism
As for "religion isn't a race", how would you call intolerance toward religion?
Whatever you say, be aware that everyone say it's racism anyway

I don't know why you find Quebec amusing, we try to protect our patrimony like all country
that's nothing amusing, it's just normal...

Hence the part about enforcing a secular government and saying it falls under that.

Religious intolerance. I said it in the original post.
So people don't know the meaning of words and try to use the wrong one, possibly diminishing the potency of the word in the process. Oh well.

No. I think most of Quebec's language laws and enforcements of language go above and beyond what most other places on earth, certainly places where most would care to live. There are endless examples of them prosecuting for absolutely minor nonsense here (what was that thing with the straws in a small restaurant a while back?). Similarly the frequent agitation for it in higher levels in Canadian government, effectively making it such that any would be politicos have to speak the language... never mind what that political party you were so excited about had in their manifesto.
If they want to encourage their population to learn French then so be it. Do it with soft means -- give extra funds to teach it, pay for radio/TV/whatever to use it, ensure everything that is reasonable to translate be translated, stock libraries with French books, fund/heavily incentivise newspapers to have a French language edition... things that most other places do when they want to try to help nurture a language.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if that'S what you meant
but what Legault wants to do is allowing immigrant in Quebec
even if they don'T speak french
However, they'll have 3 years to learn french, here in Quebec
That seems fair. You should learn the language of the land, if you wanna stay there. 3 years is a generous amount of time.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whilst I'm convinced that the whole world would be better of speaking English, forcing a language upon someone isn't a bad thing.
I've always had the same opinion. If everyone on earth was speaking only one language (be it english or esperanto, or whatever) it would certainly help world peace. According to the bible, it used to be like that, then people started to build the Babel tower to reach heaven, and God, in his wisdom, decided to f**k it all up by having people speak hundreds of different tongues so they couldn't understand each other. What a jerk! That's why we need to eliminate religions too, for world peace. :D

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've always had the same opinion. If everyone on earth was speaking only one language (be it english or esperanto, or whatever) it would certainly help world peace. According to the bible, it used to be like that, then people started to build the Babel tower to reach heaven, and God, in his wisdom, decided to f**k it all up by having people speak hundreds of different tongues so they couldn't understand each other. What a jerk! That's why we need to eliminate religions too, for world peace. :D

Not religious but I've heard of that story!

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yea well, right now, all the laws says is that if you don't speak french, you can't have a job in contact with customers

With this law, immigrants will have 3 years to learn basics french
My cousin in law is from Australia and he learned a very good french, not just basic, in about 18 months
So, with a bit of effort, I'm pretty sure anyone can do it too :)
Yet another incentive way to have people to improve. WOW, this guy is awesome!

I really envy that you have a such politician: you shouldn't really work at shops or waiter in restaurants since you don't understand the local languages and THUS can't take any requests.

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yet another incentive way to have people to improve. WOW, this guy is awesome!

I really envy that you have a such politician: you shouldn't really work at shops or waiter in restaurants since you don't understand the local languages and i can't take any requests.
I remember an humorist telling this in a talk show
He said he went to groceries store
It was a small one that just opened
He took his stuff, went to the cashier
And the woman told him the price in english
He said ''Quoi?'' What in french
She repeated in english
He left the food there and said
Désolé je ne paye pas en anglaid
Sorry i dont pay in english

I guess the store closed shortly after
He named it and said where it was, hahaha

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think religion should be forced onto people in their daily lives so I'm fine with this. Feel free to believe in whatever you want as long as it doesn't bother anyone.
Pretty much my thought. Religion and state should be separate, and people should be free to believe in w/e they want, as long as it doesn't harm anyone. Nobody should have religion forced onto them, and anyone should be free to tell any religious person to "fuck off" if they want to. :P

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember years ago, there was a comission about religious stuff

There was that family called Pineault-Carron
They traveled in a muslim country and they were shocked
They were like
We entered a mosque and they told us to take away our shoes....
What the hell was that
Then, they separated womem and men...
What the hell was that
Then they started praying by touching the floor with their forehead
Again, what the hell was that

They kept on like that for dozens of minutes
They were ignorant family who became some kind of symbol here in quebec
A bad symbol of ignorance

Hell, they even talked about ''Musulmanie''
Like if muslim were inhabitant of a country
They were just dumb...

Site & Scene News