• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Would you call Francois Legault a "racist"?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if it was America I would say forcing religion out of States is oppressive because of how America was founded.

I say that to say, from an American perspective, it is incredibly oppressive but I can't speak for other countries.

Reactions: Coolsonickirby

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well if it was America I would say forcing religion out of States is oppressive because of how America was founded.

I say that to say, from an American perspective, it is incredibly oppressive but I can't speak for other countries.
Yea well, with that new project of law
Theyll take away the cross at the assembly

Personally, im against that because the cross at assembly isnt really a religious sign
To my eyes, it rather is an history sign
A sign about how the quebec was founded

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember an humorist telling this in a talk show
He said he went to groceries store
It was a small one that just opened
He took his stuff, went to the cashier
And the woman told him the price in english
He said ''Quoi?'' What in french
She repeated in english
He left the food there and said
Désolé je ne paye pas en anglaid
Sorry i dont pay in english

I guess the store closed shortly after
He named it and said where it was, hahaha
Funny, I heard similar story too, people in baguette land usually do that, but I never expected that in Canada: they must know they are Canadian and they are not French.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Funny, I heard similar story too, people in baguette land usually do that, but I never expected that in Canada: they must know they are Canadian and they are not French.
Not sure to get what you mean here
You know primary language in canada are both french and english?

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not sure to get what you mean here
You know primary language in canada are both french and english?
Baguette was create by french, so baguette land is France;
so...
SpaghettiNutellapizza land=?
Hamburger land=?
Taco land=?
Springs roll land=?
Whale Sushi land=?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Baguette was create by french, so baguette land is France;
so...
SpaghettiNutellapizza land=?
Hamburger land=?
Taco land=?
Springs roll land=?
Whale Sushi land=?
Yea i got that
Its the part about canada i dont get

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't his approval rating in the toilet, and will probably be voted out soon?
Well, I'm not sure, but I think Sheer is leading the polls
But I'm not sure
I wouldn't be surprised though...
As for Quebec federal votes, I don't know now
Yesterday, Trudeau mocked a native woman who disturbed a meeting for manifestation
Trudeau mocked her, so i don't know, I guess he dropped in polls

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW, I saw a poll very recently (2 or 3 days ago)
Legault is the most appreciated Prime Minister inside his province in the whole Canada
He's got 60% of approbation from quebecois :)
I think Ford was among the latest :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wow, just saw that at news
Polls say that the only province where Trudeau still leads
it's in Quebec, and even there, he is almost tied to Sheer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yea well, with that new project of law
Theyll take away the cross at the assembly

Personally, im against that because the cross at assembly isnt really a religious sign
To my eyes, it rather is an history sign
A sign about how the quebec was founded
That gets to be a fun one actually.

In the UK there was a discussion some years back concerning the police. The various badges ( https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/d8/1e/e7d81e49ef319d7ae82e9f1782273c73.jpg for just a handful) they have feature a bunch of stuff from the royal family on it (because a lot of things have that in the UK) and one of those is a cross which is part of the crown. Some police of a non Christian religious persuasion then had questions and a debate of what it represented was had. At the same time at this point most of the UK is not religious ( https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-no-religion-british-social-attitudes-survey ) and Anglicanism (the religion the Royal Family heads and is technically the state religion) is even less than that. I don't know if the police are particularly different here (though most people that spend time doing a nasty job like policing tend to lean very much into religion, or have it kill stone dead any vestiges they may or may not have had).

Courts around the world have wrestled with the question of history vs religious iconography. They tend to come down on the "what does it mean to most people" side of things, and for that then for most the cross is still overwhelmingly a religious symbol, presumably then having to go if the government is to be secular. If history is to be recognised is there an old seal
or something that could stand in?

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Let's say there exists a country where all the inhabitants speak Esperanto.
As you may know Esperanto isn't a very popular language.
An Esperantian citizen travels to the U.S, and gets a job.
He calls his boss his racist because all the other workers won't adapt to him speaking Esperanto.
Therefore, they are racist.

Conclusion: Having a large amount of people not wanting to adapt to a small minority is racist!

Reactions: Subtle Demise

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I could speak Binary since most of us here are always on their Electronic Devices:unsure: With things every changing and needing VPNs etc or Hacking Modding Consoles and Developing Homebrew:yay:

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get forcing a language, but why french? if it is for economic reasons, they should be speaking English (1.121 billion total speakers), Chinese (1.107 billion total speakers), or even Hindi. hell even Spanish (534.2 million total speakers) has almost twice as many speakers than french (284.9 million total speakers). This really doesn't seem to be a very good law when a majority of medium to large scale companies have cross border customer interaction which will predominantly be spoken in English or Chinese.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get forcing a language, but why french? if it is for economic reasons, they should be speaking English (1.121 billion total speakers), Chinese (1.107 billion total speakers), or even Hindi. hell even Spanish (534.2 million total speakers) has almost twice as many speakers than french (284.9 million total speakers). This really doesn't seem to be a very good law when a majority of medium to large scale companies have cross border customer interaction which will predominantly be spoken in English or Chinese.
Because Quebec is a French speaking province. If you don't want to learn it, don't try to immigrate there, immigrate elsewhere. There are plenty of options in Canada. Just because their language isn't relevant to you, or business side of things, doesn't mean it isn't relevant to their culture.

Last edited by Viri,
Reactions: Noctosphere

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to think France was just a bunch of pussies. The yellow vest movement and this guy prove they are woke as fuck. Italy and France are my hero nations currently.

Oh... French Canada. Nah, fuck that.

Last edited by Glyptofane,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And how was it founded exactly? Is not the first line in the Bill of Rights "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

He's being called a "racist" because he said people need to learn French (the language used in Quebec)? If that's so, those calling him a "racist" are a bunch of retards. If you move to a new country then it's absolutely necessary to learn the local language so that you can actually talk, write and socialize with people there.

2019... Smh.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He's being called a "racist" because he said people need to learn French (the language used in Quebec)? If that's so, those calling him a "racist" are a bunch of retards. If you move to a new country then it's absolutely necessary to learn the local language so that you can actually talk, write and socialize with people there.

2019... Smh.
I think him being called racist is mostly related to the project of law banning religious sign from public employee in authority position...
Such as cops, teachers, prison guard, etc..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system