The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Urza said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Go on, give up on life then. You talk as though you have the balls to give up on life yet you haven't done yourself. At one point I did have the willpower to kick that chair under me, but I smartened up long ago. You think it proves that it's stronger to give up? Really how is it stronger to just give into the pressures of life and kill yourself? All you prove is you are a pathetic coward that couldn't handle life, all you are proving is just how weak willed you really are.
All I'm proving is that you're very close-minded.
And proving that I am close-minded about suicide accomplishes what?
That I am sensible human being? That clearly I think life is worth living, even through the hard parts?

And all I have proven is just how weak you really are.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I place no value in my life or the lives of anyone but my closest friends.....that being said....I've though about suicide....but in the end...I want to see how the story ends.....

In short....it's for the weak.....but I don't look down at those who have killed themselves.....or have tried to.....

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Honestly I have to say it's a weak and selfish thing to do.
Not just is it weak to just give in and up, letting the world win, but it's selfish to just foolishly take your own life despite knowing that your life has now been taken from all the people love and the people that love you. Personally I don't agree with the idea of suicide.
Weak? So what's strength? Suffering? Maybe you should poke your eyes out with scalding skewers as a feat of strength?

Selfish? You know what's selfish? Thinking that someone in a world of darkness should remain there indefinitely so you feel a little less bad.

Death is the escape. I take comfort in the fact that if life ever became too much for me, that escape is available to me.
You always jump on him for having a legit point and opinion.
I saw this coming when I first saw that he posted, you're just so predictable.

I assume that you've never known anyone that's committed suicide. If you did, you wouldn't speak so highly of it.
If you're so fond of suicide, try it out and see if your opinion remains unchanged.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've got a phylosophic view on suicide and death, so i'm not afraid of it
i'm not willing to commit it, but if i die, i can't even care cuz i will not able to xD

about others
y, if one guy[who's just a best friend for me] would die, i'd commit suicide or if my life after university would end up in this country, i'd do it
but as of now, i'm ok with the stuff around and looking forward for a better future

if u die, there will be nothing
you won't be weak, you won't be pathetic and you won't be a coward, the people who say you're selfish are selfish themselves, cuz they want you to live even though you're suffering
it's your life, you can do whatever you want with it

call me coward, but i feel better that there's always the option of death if my life ever fails

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Go on, give up on life then. You talk as though you have the balls to give up on life yet you haven't done yourself. At one point I did have the willpower to kick that chair under me, but I smartened up long ago. You think it proves that it's stronger to give up? Really how is it stronger to just give into the pressures of life and kill yourself? All you prove is you are a pathetic coward that couldn't handle life, all you are proving is just how weak willed you really are.
The problem is that you never know if you could have handled life either if you were in there shoes. It's a little more complex than "Suicide is weak and cowardly".

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
nutella said:
The problem is that you never know if you could have handled life either if you were in there shoes. It's a little more complex than "Suicide is weak and cowardly".
That is true, but it still doesn't change things. Life is hard, life is hard for everyone. Simply giving up doesn't solve anything, it just shows you lack the willpower to fight back against what makes your life so hard.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nutella said:
That is true, but it still doesn't change things. Life is hard, life is hard for everyone. Simply giving up doesn't solve anything, it just shows you lack the willpower to fight back against what makes your life so hard.
I think the biggest problem I have is with your original phrasing. Here's a scenario to explain what I mean.

Let's say there's one man who has suicidal tendencies because he lost a close friend of his. In the end, he has the courage to keep himself alive.
Let's say there's another man, trapped inside a burning building, and he can either burn to death and wait for the slim possibility of being saved or he can jump out the window. He chooses to jump out the window.

Is the second person weak but the first is strong? No, not necessarily. They may both be very strong people, it's just that the second person had a tougher scenario than the first person.

Case in point, suicide doesn't show you are weak and cowardly, it shows that you weren't strong enough to handle a particular adversity. Remember, some people have it much more tough than others. It's not a case of "Life is hard for everyone".

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
nutella said:
nutella said:
I think the biggest problem I have is with your original phrasing. Here's a scenario to explain what I mean.

Let's say there's one man who has suicidal tendencies because he lost a close friend of his. In the end, he has the courage to keep himself alive.
Let's say there's another man, trapped inside a burning building, and he can either burn to death and wait for the slim possibility of being saved or he can jump out the window. He chooses to jump out the window.

Is the second person weak but the first is strong? No, not necessarily. They may both be very strong people, it's just that the second person had a tougher scenario than the first person.

Case in point, suicide doesn't show you are weak and cowardly, it shows that you weren't strong enough to handle a particular adversity. Remember, some people have it much more tough than others. It's not a case of "Life is hard for everyone".
That is a valid point, but I wouldn't really consider jumping out of a burning building a "willing" suicide. What I mean by willing is that that man really did not have a that many choices. If anything that isn't suicide as much as sink or swim.
I guess to clear up what I mean.
It's weak for the first person to give up, since they have choice in the matter and can choose to live on.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nutella said:

There's a difference between life being hard for everyone, and life being extremely harder for others.

Suicide doesn't show you lack the willpower. If anything in many people's eyes, like mine, it shows that someone had more willpower than most of the world for holding out for so long, trying to get better. But sometimes, it's just inevitable. "Giving up" solves one thing, if that person believes in there's something else after, I'm not referring to heaven and hell, they're creating themselves a second chance, a hope that it will end up better.

I'm sorry but for people who say "it just makes everybody else sad it's stupid," if you've gone through hell for so long, why should YOU have to worry about others happiness if you're not feeling anything. There's no point.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
johncenafan427 said:
hey guys, in one of my classes i have to write an essay on conflicts going on in the world.
i chose to write about suicide.
Last time I checked, suicide is not a world conflict.

These are world conflicts.

So is the Burma-Myanmar conflict.

Or the Mexican drug wars. That would be more interesting to write about than suicide, which I repeat, is NOT a world conflict.

But if your teacher uses the phrase "conflicts going on in the world" loosely enough to encompass suicide, you could really write about anything.

Make things easy on yourself and write about the last time you were conflicted about what to eat for lunch and avoid all the unprovable controversy this thread has created. That's taking the easy way out, like committing suicide, except you don't have to die.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you know the quote: If you or anyone you know is thinking about suicide, please call National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-@@@-@@@@.

They aren't really helpful. Suicide is the most selfish thing you can do. You leave a mess for other people to clean up, and those who cared about you are hurt.

Credit goes to Sky13:

QUOTE said:
Suicide? Worth it? Suicide is not a worthwile anything. I mean first of all let's say you do commit suicide. What exactly have you accomplished? What good comes of it? once again lets weigh the benefits on both sides. On side A you give up your life. You don't resolve anything. You don't make anything better. All you do is end what you consider to be a painful and pointless life. All it really is, is a waste. on side B you try to do the best you can. You make oppourtunities for yourself you suffer But you persever. And in the end you might make a difference to someone. But that's it; by makeing an impression You have done something! If nothing else YOu lived your life. You have done all that humanity could ever have asked of you. YOu were human. That is Worth something! Suicide, in my opinion is a weak and cowardly way to ruin (not just yours but also ) someone elses life. Even if suicide were "worth" it How would you ever know the result. You could speculate but you would never know.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but there are many parents and child advocacy groups in this country who are fighting to have schools become legally responsible for the teasing and bullying that goes on between students.

It may sound like a good idea. These people believe that if the schools are held legally responsible for teasing and bullying, then teasing and bullying will surely end. Or, at least, they will be able to sue the school and get a lot of money.

Also, I think that we should be holding parents too at least partially accountable for a lot of it. I am not saying that all parents of bullies are responsible but let's face it..How many parents are guilty of making fun of other people. Surely, how about the overweight lady coming out of the store with a load of groceries and mom or dad say things like "Hey looks like that lady doesn't need any more food she is so fat" or things like that. The kids hear what all parents say. And as all parents know they pick up everything all parents say that they are not suppose to. But the things all parents do say that they should hear they don't at all!

Don't hit, kick, or push back to deal with someone bullying you or your friends. Fighting back just satisfies a bully and it's dangerous, too, because someone could get hurt. You're also likely to get in trouble. It's best to stay with others, stay safe, and get help from an adult. Never be alone.. Again, never be alone. Remember, If you can, try your best to ignore the bully's threats wont solve the problem at all! Don't listen to the teachers telling you to ignore the bully. NEVER! Dont listen to the teachers at all! Do something. You are smarter than your teachers.
smile.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RockmanForte said:
Don't hit, kick, or push back to deal with someone bullying you or your friends. Fighting back just satisfies a bully and it's dangerous, too, because someone could get hurt. You're also likely to get in trouble. It's best to stay with others, stay safe, and get help from an adult. Never be alone.. Again, never be alone. Remember, If you can, try your best to ignore the bully's threats wont solve the problem at all! Don't listen to the teachers telling you to ignore the bully. NEVER! Dont listen to the teachers at all! Do something. You are smarter than your teachers.
smile.gif

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. In elementary school in Grade 5, I still remember his name, Kris. Anyways, he bullied me every day for months and months and months. I just shook it off, but it kept happening. And it kept getting worse because I wasn't responding to it. Finally I stood up (he was more taller and more fit than me) for myself, I punched him down to the ground, jumped on top and kept punching him, and his buddies tried coming to me, I glanced at them, they backed off. I kept punching him and throwing him around (I'm a big guy, so I was easily able to life him onto my shoulders and throw him to the ground). Anyways, I stood up for myself, people were cheering for me because I was putting him in his place. I got suspended, but not because I was in trouble, but because they had to follow rules. After my 2 week suspension, I went back, he came up to me, and he apologized.

Pretty much same story in grade 8. I had this one guy bullying me with his friends. I went after the "leader" in the gym during gym class. Never was harassed again for the rest of my school career.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That is a valid point, but I wouldn't really consider jumping out of a burning building a "willing" suicide. What I mean by willing is that that man really did not have a that many choices. If anything that isn't suicide as much as sink or swim.
I guess to clear up what I mean.
It's weak for the first person to give up, since they have choice in the matter and can choose to live on.
Okay, okay. Let me use the example Ace used earlier. What if the person has lost all his family, his job and home. He's has nowhere to live and honestly believes he won't live another happy day in his life. In that case, unlike the man in the burning building, he can struggle on and live but why would he? He has nothing to live for. If he kills himself, is he weak? I mean, it's "willing" suicide, right? I don't believe he's weak.

It seems like an extreme case, but I've met a couple of people in my life who are in similar situations, one of which I'm sure has by now killed himself.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ShadowSoldier said:
There's a difference between life being hard for everyone, and life being extremely harder for others.

Suicide doesn't show you lack the willpower. If anything in many people's eyes, like mine, it shows that someone had more willpower than most of the world for holding out for so long, trying to get better. But sometimes, it's just inevitable. "Giving up" solves one thing, if that person believes in there's something else after, I'm not referring to heaven and hell, they're creating themselves a second chance, a hope that it will end up better.

I'm sorry but for people who say "it just makes everybody else sad it's stupid," if you've gone through hell for so long, why should YOU have to worry about others happiness if you're not feeling anything. There's no point.
I see your point, but sadly I will not change my option on suicide and I will leave it at that.

QUOTE(nutella @ Jan 15 2011, 09:05 PM) Okay, okay. Let me use the example Ace used earlier. What if the person has lost all his family, his job and home. He's has nowhere to live and honestly believes he won't live another happy day in his life. In that case, unlike the man in the burning building, he can struggle on and live but why would he? He has nothing to live for. If he kills himself, is he weak? I mean, it's "willing" suicide, right? I don't believe he's weak.

It seems like an extreme case, but I've met a couple of people in my life who are in similar situations, one of which I'm sure has by now killed himself.
As hard as it maybe to believe. I still say, it's stronger to move.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
nutella said:
As hard as it maybe to believe. I still say, it's stronger to move.
And I have no problem with that. But you can understand if he was to kill himself, right?
My thoughts on it will never change, but I understand perfectly he if he did kill himself.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RockmanForte said:
Suicide is the most selfish thing you can do. You leave a mess for other people to clean up, and those who cared about you are hurt.
Isn't it just as selfish to expect someone to continue living a life of utter misery just so YOU don't feel guilty? I don't think anyone ever committed suicide in a fit of petulant spite.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
RockmanForte said:
smile.gif

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. In elementary school in Grade 5, I still remember his name, Kris. Anyways, he bullied me every day for months and months and months. I just shook it off, but it kept happening. And it kept getting worse because I wasn't responding to it. Finally I stood up (he was more taller and more fit than me) for myself, I punched him down to the ground, jumped on top and kept punching him, and his buddies tried coming to me, I glanced at them, they backed off. I kept punching him and throwing him around (I'm a big guy, so I was easily able to life him onto my shoulders and throw him to the ground). Anyways, I stood up for myself, people were cheering for me because I was putting him in his place. I got suspended, but not because I was in trouble, but because they had to follow rules. After my 2 week suspension, I went back, he came up to me, and he apologized.

Well, you are lower than he is even he apologized. You shouldn't punched him down at all. Violence is not the answer!

Depravo said:
QUOTE(RockmanForte @ Jan 16 2011, 01:56 AM)
Suicide is the most selfish thing you can do. You leave a mess for other people to clean up, and those who cared about you are hurt.
Isn't it just as selfish to expect someone to continue living a life of utter misery just so YOU don't feel guilty? I don't think anyone ever committed suicide in a fit of petulant spite.

That's your opinion. I will say mine, ok ?
smile.gif
Anyway, I didnt say that I don't feel gulity. Again, that's your opinion because it is the most selfish things, yes.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RockmanForte said:
Depravo said:
RockmanForte said:

That's your opinion. I will say mine, ok ?
smile.gif
Anyway, I didnt say that I don't feel gulity. Again, that's your opinion because it is the most selfish things, yes.
So your entire counter argument is - you're wrong, I'm right? I can see I'm dealing with a mass debater. Or maybe just a wanker.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bullies need to be stood up to. I remember seeing kids getting bullied, but when the bully would see me they would be like, "Hey man!". They like to pick on those smaller than them. ShadowSoldier's story made me very happy just to read. Bullies don't usually bully one person, so you may have put him in his place for the many others bullied, too. I never had a fight not solve a problem... Out of school now.. That may be a different story, would probably get locked up now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4