Status
Not open for further replies.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do we have threads like this on a gaming / tech forum? I don't get it.

Yeah, rape's bad but goddamn. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't care about this, but I don't visit GBAtemp to read about real world events :V

Reactions: nukeboy95

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...Do have anything to prove this, or is this just an assumption? Because this seems like quite the conclusion to leap to.

Besides, as I've mentioned before, video game violence is so separate and distinct from actual violence that you'd have to be disturbed in the first place to confuse the two. I'm not usually one to link to Jim Sterling, but he made a video that tackled the topic pretty well.

Yeah, I don't buy this.

First of all, do you have any proof that children are more engaged with online gaming than with their parents? I don't doubt it can happen in some cases, but claiming that it's a consistent, nationwide trend requires some evidence.

Secondly, if this is producing people more prone to violence... well, why is violent crime still on the decline? If your claim was true, shouldn't we be seeing more violence, not less? Here's just one graph illustrating this point.

As awful as this crime was, I think it's worth remembering that it's an increasingly rare exception, not the rule.

I'll admit that my evidence is lacking as studies are far and few between when it comes to the topics at hand but that is more so because nobody has bothered to do them; which in turn makes my conclusions neither true or fictitious but that does not mean they should be ignored. I would say I could be as credible a source as a video game reviewer but this is a man who gave MW3 a 9.5. One could easily say he is biased as I am; only he has a differing opinion and is far more confident with it than I am with my own educated guesses. Also this is a social sciences debate, the sheer amount of different schools of thought, mixed in with how little we truly understand the human mind, does not give any study firm ground to stand on thanks to the cultural diversity that can occur on even a home to home basis.

The reality is I have my opinion and you have yours. We may never know who is right or wrong nor even how far reaching our opinion is in being true if we ever find out. Saying that I really can't argue what you have said but I believe in my views and will continue to do so until a universal truth can be found. If anything this proves how badly we need facts and not educated opinions that may or may not be biased in how they are obtained.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do we have threads like this on a gaming / tech forum? I don't get it.

Yeah, rape's bad but goddamn. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't care about this, but I don't visit GBAtemp to read about real world events :V

Cuz this isn't a gaming exclusive site and hasn't been for as long as i've been here at least.
Head out of ass plox. If you don't like it, there's this sweet solution called "not clicking on the thread".

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The governments job isnt to raise your kids. Its yours.
Exactly. All the ESRB/PEGI ratings, all the cut-out content due to censorship, all the draconic online restrictions for minors in video games (me being directly affected as my PSN Sub-account cannot be used to play 18+ games online due to an automated content manager based on game ratings and the registered Date of Birth wheras there used to be a Parental Controls Content Manager available on PSN not so long ago - it's even mentioned in the PS3's manual. Thankfuly the Master Account is perfectly fine, but it's still upsetting that the option to choose was taken away from Master Account holders.) are caused by shifting the blame on everybody and everything else other than the parents.

Some games even end up cancelled or heavily censored because they wouldn't go through censorship in their original form, developers are forced to remove content that is arbitrarily judged as "for adults only" and they have to roll with it since an A/O-rated game just doesn't sell. What we as gamers end up with are games that were castrated just to reach the M-rating at best, T or E at worst.

It's the parents who should hold the reins as far as the content their children use is concerned - it shouldn't be in any way enforced by law. When I'm a parent and I'll feel like allowing my child to play Online, I should be able to allow that since it's my choice without having to lie about the account owner's age during registration.

Reactions: The Milkman

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I had guns when I was a kid, and access to more guns. Whats the big deal? Oh, you're not American so you wouldn't understand. The kid could have used a steak knife, the tool he used is not the question here, it's what he did.

If he had used a steak knife or ball bat would you be asking the same question?
Yes, because he could've killed his mother JUST AS EASILY with a steak knife, right? He totally could've thrown the steak knife with the same deadly precision and speed at mom from a far distance, right? *facepalm*

falconcrest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm quite sure that's all you need to read to realize how fucked up that family was.
inb4 it doesn't matter it's all vidya's fault

Yeah, this is what happens when the media fucks around with these "diseases". ADD is such an excuse to drug kids it's stupid.
But alas,I have ADD,ADHD,BIPOLAR,RAD,and many other things and I take meds but do not see them as drugs but a means to help me control myself AND I have yet to even think about killing my mother.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, because he could've killed his mother JUST AS EASILY with a steak knife, right? He totally could've thrown the steak knife with the same deadly precision and speed at mom from a far distance, right? *facepalm*
Yeah, didn't you know that steak knives travel faster than bullets?

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But alas,I have ADD,ADHD,BIPOLAR,RAD,and many other things and I take meds but do not see them as drugs but a means to help me control myself AND I have yet to even think about killing my mother.
You have to take into account that those are all disorders, not diseases. From a medical standpoint your body is perfectly healthy - you just have personality quirks.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It amounts to neglect to let a child play Call of Duty for 8 hrs a day. It's basically a killing simulator that's been proven to have negative effect on developing brain, desensitizing this child to the act of murder. Do I play game like this? Sure I do but I don't let any children in my family play them. This kid was acting out something he had been practicing for hundreds of hours on a game much the same way our military prepares for battle. Through simulation the act of killing is made automatic and instinctual, something you don't have to think about. Exposing a child to this is bad enough but add to that an emotionally unstable child with out the ability to rationalize and by not paying attention to what is going into that child's brain you've created a monster. Now I don't blame the game but I do blame the parents lack of common sense supervision. There are some things that are not good for all people or all ages.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It amounts to neglect to let a child play Call of Duty for 8 hrs a day.
Yes.
It's basically a killing simulator that's been proven to have negative effect on developing brain, desensitizing this child to the act of murder.
When, where and by whom? Show me the scientific evidence derrived from years of research please.
Do I play game like this? Sure I do but I don't let any children in my family play them. This kid was acting out something he had been practicing for hundreds of hours on a game much the same way our military prepares for battle.
Children are not retarded - they differentiate the real world and the virtual world, no matter how "realistic" a game is.
Through simulation the act of killing is made automatic and instinctual, something you don't have to think about. Exposing a child to this is bad enough but add to that an emotionally unstable child with out the ability to rationalize and by not paying attention to what is going into that child's brain you've created a monster.
So the root of the problem is the child's psyche, not the game. The same could happen if the kid watched a violent Cartoon Network cartoon, except then he'd take a mallet to her head.
Now I don't blame the game but I do blame the parents lack of common sense supervision. There are some things that are not good for all people or all ages.
The parents are to blame, yes, but not necessarily the content. Seeing that I spent my childhood throwing dollar bills at prostitutes to make them flash for me in Duke Nukem and chainsawing through hordes of soldiers in Doom and haven't killed anyone yet, I find it hard to believe that the content is a huge factor here.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How are you calling CoD a killing simuator? That game is so inaccurate it hurts. I could see if he was playing ARMA or Red Orchestra, those are genuine killing sims. But CoD?
Most people choose quantity in a "quality versus quantity" situations - an ARMA skirmish takes forever, a COD match is fast-paced. Moreover, ARMA requires actual thinking rather than killer instinct, so COD is actually catering to the lowest inctincts more so than ARMA, regardless of accuracy.

Still, it's just video games either way.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inb4 locked thread.

There, I called it.

Anyway, all I have to comment on this subject is:
This is fucked up.
That is all.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Is that a fact ? how do they differ ? I can see our UK version has my sons running round shooting other ppl , almost frenzied gameplay . What else is included in the US version ? Subliminal "shoot yer mom" messages ?

If anyone started to rape you , would it be ok if they stopped ?
Of course not. I never said what happened was okay. It's absolutely sick. I'm just saying that that a far more accurate title would be "13 Year Old Kills Mother for Taking Away Call of Duty and Almost Rapes Her"

Ugh, I felt awful just typing that out.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
*insert "MURRICA" joke here*
We live in a really fucked up world, I'll say this much. A child shouldn't have access to such things.

drottning

amateur wii hacker
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So you honestly think there's any merit to Call of Duty making this kid kill someone?

Alternatively, using it as an excuse to hate the game is pretty stupid too
"i just meant it doesn't help my already low opinion of it"
"it doesn't help"
"already"

goodness, can you not read?

i meant i already dislike it. this doesn't help it. a lot of CoD players are pretty stupid. don't take offense to this just because i said "a lot" doesn't mean it includes you. thanks

besides, the only fps i will probably ever like is goldeneye 007 (the original not the crappy reloaded thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then...