MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I never thought in 2005 that someday we'd be fighting Google tooth and nail in order to watch YouTube ad-free, be able to download the videos for offline viewing later, and listen to music while the phone screen is off... But here we are.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64 and Xzi

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if we'd all be as incensed about the concept of ads on YouTube, had it not initially been ad-free for a bulk of its existence. I mean, Hulu and Netflix and etc all offer ad-tier plans for money to watch their content, and sometimes the ad-blockers don't even work on them.

There's so many interesting channels on YouTube that wouldn't be able to function without the income that YouTube provides. Google has to pay for all the video hosting somehow, as well.
They are so much worth it that they are getting sponsors outside of youtube since they get demonetised over the silliest thing or just get paid pennies for all the work they pour into videos.
Really worth getting flooded by ads if creators don't get the benefits and will just sneak their own custom ads into their videos from the more generous sponsorship that Youtube failed to provide by ad insertion into videos.

Spring_Spring

Not Exactly Spotless
Trophies
Website
spring-enterprises.neocities.org
XP
Country
Denmark
I wonder if we'd all be as incensed about the concept of ads on YouTube, had it not initially been ad-free for a bulk of its existence. I mean, Hulu and Netflix and etc all offer ad-tier plans for money to watch their content, and sometimes the ad-blockers don't even work on them.

There's so many interesting channels on YouTube that wouldn't be able to function without the income that YouTube provides. Google has to pay for all the video hosting somehow, as well.
The difference is that with those other services you didn't also make their videos for them, for free.

But they treat the people who made the content that actually gives them value like any regular old viewer who never contributed anything. Only the biggest mainstream youtubers get any sort of reward, and even they get very little. But its not less work just because you are a smaller channel.

Last edited by Spring_Spring,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
im not getting any message yet on my pc anyway, just thought to share for android users as an alternative
what I said about firefox + ublock + background fix is for android. I even created a youtube icon that leads to youtube home on firefox with this configuration. This was way better than vanced back on the day, and still works wonders now.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
ReVanced is currently the best setup on Android for me, patch all the junk out and put the good in, which means no ads and optional sponsorship segments in videos getting skipped, as well background playback and lots of improvements over anything Youtube Premium would pretend to offer for a monthly fee, while I can get better for free maintained by an active community, also for free.

EchoStorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using Adblock Home DNS network wide and ublock on all my machines and havent seen it yet, but it sounds like its only a matter of time now. Its a shame, really. This is just another pain in the butt thing to have to overcome now in order to have a life without advertisements in your face 24/7

Reactions: Xzi and Jayro

EchoStorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people on uBlock make sure you have the AdGuard Annoyances and uBlock Annoyances filter lists. One of those seems to get rid of the message (confirmed by a friend who was getting the message, and we compared filter lists)
I am running both of those as well, It doesn't come selected out of the box, so that makes sense.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
For people on uBlock make sure you have the AdGuard Annoyances and uBlock Annoyances filter lists. One of those seems to get rid of the message (confirmed by a friend who was getting the message, and we compared filter lists)
from what I heard, it might not due to the adblocking itself, but due to the fact that the message appears randomly, on purpose to confuse adblockers
I've had the message display once, using ublock, and not anymore, but it's only a matter of time, I expect.

• Wow
Reactions: impeeza

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
from what I heard, it might not due to the adblocking itself, but due to the fact that the message appears randomly, on purpose to confuse adblockers
I've had the message display once, using ublock, and not anymore, but it's only a matter of time, I expect.
Once it appears, it seems to stay there. He was unable to watch videos for half the day because of it ("Video playback will be blocked after 3 videos"...), and the message went away once he enabled those.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
From what I hear, Youtube is updating their filter lists up to twice a day now, so it's just a cat and mouse game. UBlock is mostly staying ahead of them, however. You just have to apply ONLY the base uBlock Filters, purge and update often. No other adblockers on, either.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Okay, THIS is the solution. I was missing AdGuard Annoyances. Enabling it fixed it for me outright. Too late now since I deleted my YT account. :|

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never thought in 2005 that someday we'd be fighting Google tooth and nail in order to watch YouTube ad-free, be able to download the videos for offline viewing later, and listen to music while the phone screen is off... But here we are.

I don't feel many people are fighting tooth and nail. I've barely lifted a finger for years on end doing any of those things and still don't have to.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Thanks for that. Enabled both, so far so good.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Okay, THIS is the solution. I was missing AdGuard Annoyances. Enabling it fixed it for me outright. Too late now since I deleted my YT account. :|

Thanks for that. Enabled both, so far so good.

yeah, it seems to work, I haven't gotten the message for a while now.

I have neither of those two enabled and don't get the message. Purging the list caches then updating took care of it on my end a week or so ago.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I have neither of those two enabled and don't get the message. Purging the list caches then updating took care of it on my end a week or so ago.
As I said earlier, it seems to appear at random (so as to confuse people using adblockers?).
Didn't happen for me for a while but twice this week including this morning. So I activated the filter and now I haven't seen it again.

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
As I said earlier, it seems to appear at random (so as to confuse people using adblockers?).
Didn't happen for me for a while but twice this week including this morning. So I activated the filter and now I haven't seen it again.
If you leave a tab with a video open, close your browser (be sure to have your tabs set to be remembered) and reopen your browser, the message appears, even after purging my cache, updating my lists, and updating uBlock Origin. The fix I quoted earlier worked for me, however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)