Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easy just go on ebay and ask sellers to tell you the FW beforehand

Eh, that's all well and good, but there's a chance some idiot scalper will say "oh it's on 2.x.x" and will pull a douche move and it'll wind up being on 5.x.x. I can't take that risk. I'd rather
get one on here.

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get all the hassle. I can't remember the last time I actually cold booted my switch. It sits in my dock in sleep most of the time or in sleep whilst on the go. Hardly the need for a reboot .If you do put a jig in your case along with rcm payload from phone or if you don't a pi zero. Or an Arduino dongle if they're knocking round.

mmajunkie77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably not going to even bother :lol: RCM/jig is too much of a hassle, and I'm already on 5.1.0, so I'll pass, or maybe get lucky and find a 3.0.0 console for a normal price.
The eBay suggestion is a decent one. I lucked out and found a 1.0.0 on there for $250 and a 4.1 for $299. Both unused. A few of those people I've messaged had a 3.0.0 on their hands, all for less than $300. Try it out, you may be surprised!

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/978426606480846848
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/973330010835533824

Q: I'm currently on a firmware between 3.0.1 and 4.0.0. Should I find a way to upgrade to 4.1.0?

I don't see any particular technical reason to upgrade your unit to 4.1.0 specifically. These versions are mostly equivalent from my perspective, and SciresM, Motezazer, and I have collaborated on non-coldboot hacks that still give us full system access on versions up to 4.1.0.

Q: Is it reasonable to upgrade from <console version here> to the latest?

This is always a question that depends on what matters to you. In general, I'd say a there are a few heuristics that help to make the decision:

• I'd never upgrade a 1.0.0 console-- these are a rare firmware version with software that's filled with delightful issues. If you have one and want a latest-firmware version now, I'd suggest selling it and buying a new console-- currently, this appears to be profitable.
  • Versions below 3.0.1 but above 1.0.0 still have some pretty neat value to them-- they have a very powerful vulnerability that allows access to most of the system. However, it's up to you if you want to hold on to these versions. I'd suggest it, but it's entirely possible that it is worth more to you be able to e.g. use your switch online right now than it is to have the possibility of using those software exploits in the future.
  • Versions between 3.0.1 and 4.1.0 still have vulnerabilities that we've proven to work, but they don't give you the immediate fun that switches in the previous two categories do. There's still a case for holding onto these until all details regarding Fusée Gelée are released, so you can understand what the advantages and disadvantages are of Fusée Gelée before upgrading.
It's always up to you whether you want to upgrade. We've used the mantra "lower is better" for some time, and I think that still generally applies, but the situation obviously has a lot more subtleties than can be fit in a three-word phrase.
I really appreciate the time you are taking to try to prove your point but you don't seem to get what I'm asking proof of. I know everything you have talked about is truth except that this exploit will be released alongside atmosphere for 4.1.0. Those post you are using as source dontd mention that.

Nope it has been stated a We already have the webkit exploit and the kernel exploit is useless for RCM users but works by loading it through the webkit exploit only users up to 4.1.0 have and has been stated a million times already that it will be released at the same day atmosphere will be released
I think what you meant to say is that 1.0.0 will be supported at release and following version up to 4.1.0 will be compatible at a later date. Am I correct?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The eBay suggestion is a decent one. I lucked out and found a 1.0.0 on there for $250 and a 4.1 for $299. Both unused. A few of those people I've messaged had a 3.0.0 on their hands, all for less than $300. Try it out, you may be surprised!

Again, the price isn't the issue, it's the possibility of getting screwed over by a person who says it has one firmware, but ends up not being the one I paid for. I'd rather not have to deal with being scammed out of money, or having to return it and the sender refusing to refund me. How do I guarantee not getting SOL?

mmajunkie77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, the price isn't the issue, it's the possibility of getting screwed over by a person who says it has one firmware, but ends up not being the one I paid for. I'd rather not have to deal with being scammed out of money, or having to return it and the sender refusing to refund me. How do I guarantee not getting SOL?
I got the sellers to send me a photo of the serial number. I wouldn't even bother messaging a seller with no feedback though.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What makes it more "valid" is the fact that the main developer of Atmosphere said so himself. Unless you can provide source or proof of what you're saying (you still haven't shown anything that proves this), you're wrong. Simple as that. The last thing he has said was that 4.1.0 would get it eventually, not right away as everyone else. You're the one who says this isn't true anymore.

Show proof or sit down.
Like I already said, I am not going to dig through 1000's of threads digging through millions of pages just to find that information. If you need it do it yourself and if you think what you said is the case then that is good for you. I'm just saying what I saw and that's that

pofer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes I wonder if it is adults who I am talking to, or it is just kids pretending that they are now "Hackers" because they learned the difference between "cooldboot" or "Softmod".

Screenshot_2018_05_21_15_53_28_1.png

Nothing of what I said is "stupid" or "foolish" to go to the extends of quoting me and saying that "You shouldn't believe this missinformed people".

Now I will apologize IF Atmosphere gets a softmod for 4.1.0 the day it gets released, otherwise, I didn't even go as far as "giving people false infotmation".

Last edited by pofer,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sometimes I wonder if it is adults who I am talking to, or it is just kids pretending that they are now "Hackers" because they learned the difference between "cooldboot" or "Softmod".

Screenshot_2018_05_21_15_53_28_1.png

Nothing of what I said is "stupid" or "foolish" to go to the extends of quoting me and saying that "You shouldn't believe this missinformed people".

Now I will apologize IF Atmosphere gets a softmod the day it gets released, otherwise, I didn't even go as far as "giving people false infotmation".
Well mostly nobody in this forum actrually is a hacker exept a few. They're using tools that hackers made and call themselves hackers by using tools people provide with a tutorial. Hate it that most call themselves hackers while they just use tools that are provided for them to use

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@D0127 @kumikochan
I give up. It seems neither of you realise there is a distinction between the CFW and the untethered softmod entry point.

Atmosphere has been confirmed to be released on all OFWs ≤ 4.1.0 at launch. What has not been confirmed is that an untethered softmod will be available on all OFWs ≤ 4.1.0 at launch.

I do not know how to communicate this any clearer. Maybe someone else is more up to this task than I.

freakzilla5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, that's all well and good, but there's a chance some idiot scalper will say "oh it's on 2.x.x" and will pull a douche move and it'll wind up being on 5.x.x. I can't take that risk. I'd rather get one on here.

Maybe, but in my experience most end users had to be carefully instructed of how to even find where the system fw is stated. I was looking at used consoles in good condition. A lot of parents get them for kids and don't let them connect to online at all.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@D0127 @kumikochan
I give up. It seems neither of you realise there is a distinction between the CFW and the untethered softmod entry point.

Atmosphere has been confirmed to be released on all OFWs ≤ 4.1.0 at launch. What has not been confirmed is that an untethered softmod will be available on all OFWs ≤ 4.1.0 at launch.

I do not know how to communicate this any clearer. Maybe someone else is more up to this task than I.
Go dig through all the threads yourself like I said I am not doing it for you. If you don't believe me well I am fine with that. We'll see in the near future who was right or wrong and I am fine with that

D

Deleted User

@D0127 @kumikochan

I usually understand hacking and terms like softboot, warmboot, cfw. But the absolute stupidity of some people in this thread has genuinely confused me to the point that I believe idiocy CAN be transmitted through the internet.

I wouldn't argue anymore. Just give in and wait until its all done, and know full well whats what at release.

Reactions: MrBananaMan

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@D0127 @kumikochan

I had to give up too. :wtf:

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@D0127 @kumikochan

Iirc it's also working on 5.1 too.

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/commit/fa4c219395469abc154e35936227b8182142eda6

Reactions: the_randomizer

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go dig through all the threads yourself like I said I am not doing it for you. If you don't believe me well I am fine with that. We'll see in the near future who was right or wrong and I am fine with that
I dug through threads and could not find anything proving your point. That means if you can't give any proof to back your claim, then you are wrong (at least until you are fully proven right/wrong at release). It shouldn't be up to us to prove you wrong, it's up to you to prove yourself right.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I dug through threads and could not find anything proving your point. That means if you can't give any proof to back your claim, then you are wrong (at least until you are fully proven right/wrong at release). It shouldn't be up to us to prove you wrong, it's up to you to prove yourself right.
Then proof me wrong and I rather not discuss this anymore since this is going in a useless loop. I am fine with not anyone believing what I said and that's fine. We'll see on release what was correct and what wasn't and I rather end it with this. It is not up to me since I don't care if anyone believes it. If I did care then I would have to proof it but again I don't. I really don't care and am not going to discuss this anymore further

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.