Cinematic Video Games Degrading Gameplay

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up: Unnecessary cynicism and assumptions below!

I agree that it probably has more to do with the game makers themselves and how they might simply in the wrong industry, or more rather they couldn't make the grade in Hollywood so they decided that video games were the next best thing. Writers in particular fit this bill. They so badly want to create these grand and epic tales but more often than not writing in games is bland at best and laughable at worst. The overall setting and world have enough potential (thanks in part to the artists making it come to life) but when it comes to characters, plot, and dialogue the writing typically falls apart. This is why it's foolish to request a game be rated more on its story or viewed as something you'd pay for to go see in a theater - you're just asking for them to pick apart a sloppily written story.

Directors come next, particularly "creative directors," as they're the ones who love to harp up how "just like a movie" their game is. I know it's a tired target by now, but The Order: 1886 is a great example of putting literally everything else above gameplay, going so far as to go on the record saying that working on the actual game bits is a bit of a drag for them. This ties into why I think QTEs are so awful nowadays. They're a way to do a finishing more or are there merely to require the player to get the cutscene moving along, even if there's no way to fail them. It's like at some point the director said "hmm, we have a really long string of cutscenes here...how about you add in a couple of button prompts here and a walking segment there" in order to get some form of gameplay in. Shenmue at least had QTEs that you could fail and still progress through the game, and some were actually beneficial to the player in the form of a shortcut as opposed to something that you had to do.

I think this stems from the way the industry has attempted to mature in the past few years. No matter how mainstream the headlines say it is, the truth is somebody is far more likely to boast about the work they do for films than they would a video game (unless it's something most people would know, like CoD). Game journalists especially feel this way I think. In a way, it's almost as if they're in a way embarrassed that their line of work involves making or talking about video games as opposed to something like movies so they want to sort of make them like ones. This isn't true of everyone mind you. Some journalists probably love what they do and the talented 3D artists, sound engineers, and programmers no doubt have the sort of drive to create amazing things and continue to improve. It's just the ones that cannot ever accept that what they do in this medium will never win them an Oscar and something like The Order: 1886 is important because it shows that you cannot get away with pretty visuals and crap everything else.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This shit started long before the last generation. I put the blame on the dark ages of gaming, when cdrom games first came out and everything was a shitty fmv game. The success of early 3d titles like metal gear solid, perfect dark, and conker's bad fur day, in which the studio paid real money for voice actors who were actually talented, cemented the idea that gamers wanted a more cinematic experience.
That brings us to today, where the games take a decade to make and amount to a couple hours of button mashing and 6 hours of badly rendered 3d footage. If I wanted to watch a low-poly 3d movie, I'd watch some bullshit like veggietales or the music video to Dire Straits' "Money for Nothin"

Reactions: Hielkenator

OncRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care for all the cinematic stuff, either. A little here and there to build and transition the story, but if there is more cutscene than game, it's now an interactive movie. There were some NES/SNES games that you couldn't skip/speed thru the cutscenes, almost made the game torturous when replaying. Makes me wonder if this is a financial strategy: More movie= less game play= less programming, fewer features, less creativity= lower cost to make.

Hmmm...wonder when E.T. for Xbone/PS4/WiiU that includes a blu-ray of the movie be released?

Reactions: TemplarGR

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Writers in particular fit this bill. They so badly want to create these grand and epic tales but more often than not writing in games is bland at best and laughable at worst. The overall setting and world have enough potential (thanks in part to the artists making it come to life) but when it comes to characters, plot, and dialogue the writing typically falls apart. This is why it's foolish to request a game be rated more on its story or viewed as something you'd pay for to go see in a theater - you're just asking for them to pick apart a sloppily written story.

I don't see why you hold writers responsible, as they're clearly not in command of things. Usually, writers only come into play in a relatively late state, when the stage is already decided. There's usually a tight budget for actors (you rarely see anything above B-voice actors in games) and sometimes even the cutsènes are already being worked on. As a result, writers have little to no margin on what to ACTUALLY write, which is furthered even more by the fact that it should prepare the gamer for the next mission (which usually comes down to things the player has done 1000's of times already).

This isn't so different in blockbuster movies, by the way. There, scenarios are timed almost to the second as to when a fight/explosion is to take place, when humor is called for and when romance is needed. All of this has its impact, of course. And in games, it happens even more that the "written by" is the same guy as the director or the producer of the game (or one of the guys).

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe. This is not really what happens. This was done as a joke for games forcing the player to interact expecting him/her/it to get the feels just by pushing a button.
This is what actually happened:

What happens if you fail to show your respects? Try again?

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that games today are different than back then. And, sadly, I feel like these cinematic games are just going to continue to roll out. I think this is partly due to the ever growing amount of reviewers and websites dedicated entirely to gaming.I know it may sound a little convoluted, but hear me out.

I think this whole "gaming" culture that has been rapidly developing for the past few years is partly to blame. Some games just receive enormous amounts of praise and fanfare when it's just the same old thing over and over again with a little extra "flair" added in. Having a game that is basically 2 hours of gameplay and 6 hours of cut-scenes is just not a fun game for me. But, when you get enough people who buy the game and others like it, then why change it? I think that might be a prevailing mindset with developers nowadays.

For example, take Bioshock Infinite (I know I'm going to get flak for it). I loved the original Bioshock and played through it many times and still love it. But, when playing though Infinite, I noticed something. I felt like I was just playing a modern FPS and not an actual bioshock game. The gameplay was extremely repetitive and bland with me mostly just using the sniping rife and shotgun to get the job done. Hell, I didn't even hardly use the vigors since they seemed just like a waste of time (they all basically did the same thing anyway). By the time I was actually done with the game, I was just glad it was over and I literally said to myself "that was just stupid..." I didn't feel like anything was resolved in the end and the gameplay helped to contribute to that. Sure, the final boss in Bioshock was kinda over too quickly, but infinite just dragged and dragged and I just wanted it to be over. But, while I think that it's just ok, you have reviewers and others praising the ever-loving crap out of it calling it one of the best games ever made and how the story is SO ENTHRALLING, and elizabeth is JUST SO COOL HOW SHE PASSES YOU THE AMMO AND HAS TEARS AND BLAH BLah blah blah blah........................... I just didn't see the game that. But, now that the overwhelming majority has spoken, what are game developers going to do? Make an entirely different game with entirely different mechanics and story? Why would they when all they have to do is slap a big ole' "2" on it and they know it's an instant seller.

I know I'm rambling a bit, but this is where I see gaming going. When you get one genre that performs well above all others and is practically guaranteed sales, why in the blue hell would anyone say "hmmm, let's do something entirely different and original" when they can just say "let's slap a numerical value on our last thing and throw it out there". If more people want to have play/movies, then developers will just continue to throw out more movie games with reckless abandon to cash in on the current market.

...../rant

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yup, it's a horrible fact.
I've been telling everybody lately about this.
Then I start my Wiiu and let them play Bayonetta 2 and everything is good.
There's still hope, and most of all PLAY WHAT YOU LIKE.
Never follow a game console because of these graphical "masterpieces". Just because your friend likes it or that a game is uber violent should not be a good reason to play a game.
Be honest to yourself....
I'm so happy company's like Nintendo ( do not mention Metroid Mother M....) and some Indie devs are here to save us from this stream of games.
Besides all my consoles I feel a special bond with my Wii and Wiiu, I know this is where I will have the best memories in the end. Also Pure love went into a lot of games and are alway genuine good family time.
Gameplay first, good graphics are just a bonus. ( btw, nowadays graphics are always "good" as long as they serve their purpose and can set the "mood'I am happy.)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What happens if you fail to show your respects? Try again?

Loiter around the funeral forever, apparently.

It's times like these where it would be fun to call their helpdesk...

Me: hi...I seem to be having a problem with Call of Duty - modern warfare. I'm stuck...
Helpdesk: okay...just one moment, please. :)
Helpdesk: here we are. What problem do you seem to be having, sir? :)
Me: I'm stuck after the first mission. On the funeral. It just doesn't go on after that.
Helpdesk: I see...now what you need to do is get close enough to the coffin and press F.
Me: yeah, that's the problem. I can't do that.
Helpdesk: you mean it doesn't work? That the text doesn't show, or pressing the button doesn't do anything?
Me: no. I mean that by pressing F, I pay tribute. And I don't want to do that.
Helpdesk: erm...okay? And why not?
Me: Because it is never properly explained why the US troops where in South Korea in the first place. And this dead guy may have been my best friend, but that doesn't justify him, or any of us, to terrorize another country. Him in particular, as he apparently was 'the best the army had to offer'.
Helpdesk: but...you play as the army. You're not terrorists.
Me: why not?
Helpdesk: because you're the army, sir. Surely you wouldn't think that the army, the US army least of all, would do terrorist acts, right?
Me: the first mission involves dropping from a plane in a shuttle and seriously damaging a building in the process. Doesn't that say enough?
Helpdesk: I don't follow.
Me: haven't you payed attention to 9/11? Damaging skyscrapers is a MAYOR act of terrorism.
Helpdesk: but...but...it wasn't intentional!
Me: I tried avoiding it, but it's a scripted scene. So yes, it is intentional, and yes, it's an act of terrorism.
Helpdesk: but...no! Your group goes in with good intention. To save the local populace.
Me: <slowly, as if speaking to a child> which are never shown or even implied. Look at it from another way: if you played as a bunch of South-Koreans who drop into the US for no clear reason and seriously damage the statue of liberty in the process...would you also think they were justified, even if it was 'the army'?
Helpdesk: I...see your point. But since your character was also there, doesn't that mean he (meaning: you) believes in this cause?
Me: hmm...good point. So you're basically saying that it's roleplaying.
Helpdesk: <more on familiar ground> Yes...it's partially a roleplaying game. You play as someone you're not in reality.
Me: and in this case...a terrorist who has to pay respect to his fallen comrade?
Helpdesk: ...if that's how you choose to look at it, sir.
Me: well, yes! And it bothers me. I'm not an American, but I'm worried about how this game spoonfeeds players into becoming terrorists without them even be aware of it.
Helpdesk: I, erm...I'll make sure to pass that on to the developers.

Locke644: I'll bring some flak but not in the way you may think. I think bioshock infinite was overhyped too (heck...it shouldn't have been called 'bioshock' to begin with). But aside from the ending, I wouldn't say the game had too much cinematics. you have to differentiate between cinematics (cutscènes and scripted events) and aesthetics. Bioshock infinite was praised mostly for how it looked and how the story told itself while you were walking through it. It didn't got in the way.
The problem, perhaps, with it was that this aesthetic was so good, and it was one of the very few games that made you care for a sidekick, that the rather bland gameplay was moved to the background and even forgotten by professional critics. This may not even be unintentional: the 'why do you play video games?' question has many answers, and if it left the critics with a good impression, they aren't wrong about it. It just doesn't mean the audience will think the same.

Hielkenator: I remember 'defending' nintendo against the general opinion that nintendo was going down the toilet if they didn't kept up with the competition. Then, almost accidentally, I watched the first independent review of 'the order 1886'. Now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better if those 3rd parties would be better to keep up with nintendo. ;)

Reactions: kehkou

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...just skip it? Seriously, every good game lets you skip unimportant cinematic.
I don't know why I'd do that in the first place anyway. If a game has a big cinematic it means that I'm playing a big game. And if I'm playing a big game, I want to be immersed as much as possible. Do you want to play a game where you are taken into action the moment you press Start? Play smaller games. And they are smaller for a reason, you know.

Now, if we want to talk about games with unnecessary cinematic, then I can agree. I played DoA:D and I was impressed it had an actual story. Even more, it had Cinematic after every single battle. I want to play a fighting game, not to watch a japanese version of Beautiful. Thank God for that skip button.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
...just skip it? Seriously, every good game lets you skip unimportant cinematic.
I don't know why I'd do that in the first place anyway. If a game has a big cinematic it means that I'm playing a big game. And if I'm playing a big game, I want to be immersed as much as possible. Do you want to play a game where you are taken into action the moment you press Start? Play smaller games. And they are smaller for a reason, you know.

Now, if we want to talk about games with unnecessary cinematic, then I can agree. I played DoA:D and I was impressed it had an actual story. Even more, it had Cinematic after every single battle. I want to play a fighting game, not to watch a japanese version of Beautiful. Thank God for that skip button.

Some good games I've played don't allow cutscene skipping. Also, MGS V has huge cutscenes, but the game is REALLY short. But I guess that counts as an exception.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I'm with the ones that say that the game need to feel cinematic because of the gameplay itself.
Just look at Super Metroid, after a brief introduction ("the last metroid is in captivity" and the text after it) you are left in a space station and the story unfolds itself once you start proceeding. you see the station is empty, there are death bodies and the metroid you delivered earlier isn't there anymore, you see what is happening and don't need to be told "Samus, look, the scientists are dead and the metroid is missing!!" to realize it.
If you wanted further explanation of the setting in a game you looked at the manual, there they explained who the protagonist is and what the situation is when starting the story.

But I don't want to say that cutscenes are all that bad, there are games that pull them off very well, the Tales of series is a good example.
There are numerous(and when I say that I mean there are like 100) short optional cutscenes, are more like fully voiced(since the japanese Tales of Symphonia PS2 onward) VN segments to give you a better idea(the called skits). this skits add nothing to the gameplay and general story, but are important because the Tales of games focuses in character interaction and development and that is explained in those skits adding to the overall experience.

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tailweaver: Yeah, I know there weren't many cutscenes in that particular game. I was just trying to make the point if so many people like it, due to the game being overhyped and sheeple falling in love with it, then why is there a need to change it if it sells? The same could be said about cinematic games. If people don't like a genre, they won't buy it. If we're seeing more and more movie games, then sadly that's whats going to be shoved out at an alarming rate with hidden gems that are hard to find after shoveling through all the crap we call modern gaming. /2nd rant

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
MOOOMMM!!!
I have some mini-games in my Blu Ray movie! Dx

^That is exactly how I feel whenever I see freaking LOOOONG cutscenes in a videogame.
If they are going to make the game cutscene heavy, just release a god damn CGI movie instead of making it a CGI movie with shot, run and another cutscene kind of game.

MGS4 anyone? XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!